News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Sgt. Clifford A. Roberts USMC purple heart

scottplen

Guest Rick Research

Clifford Alton Roberts was born October 14, 1935 in Ogilvie, Kenabec County, Minnesota.

His father, Alton Clifford Roberts, was born there February 8, 1905 and died April 29, 1971 in Pacific, Missouri. Sergeant Roberts' mother was still alive in 1991 so I could not find information on her.

Sgt. Roberts' paternal grandparents were Joseph Oliver Roberts (born in Ohio April 6, 1884) and Clara Louise May (born in London, England).

Clifford Alton Roberts was born October 14, 1935 in Ogilvie, Kenabec County, Minnesota.

His father, Alton Clifford Roberts, was born there February 8, 1905 and died April 29, 1971 in Pacific, Missouri. Sergeant Roberts' mother was still alive in 1991 so I could not find information on her.

Sgt. Roberts' paternal grandparents were Joseph Oliver Roberts (born in Ohio April 6, 1884) and Clara Louise May (born in London, England).

THANK YOU FOR RESEARCH !!!!!! I wrote govt. for his file when i recieve it I will post more!!!!

• 1 year later...
    • 2 weeks later...

Excellent Scott. These Vietnam USMC Purple Hearts have eluded me for some reason. I rally like this engraving. Reminds one a little of the small machine engraving from the WWII period. I see less of this engraving style on Vietnam Purple Hearts than I do the of the "taller thin" Times New Roman style. My thoughts only .....

Excellent Scott. These Vietnam USMC Purple Hearts have eluded me for some reason. I rally like this engraving. Reminds one a little of the small machine engraving from the WWII period. I see less of this engraving style on Vietnam Purple Hearts than I do the of the "taller thin" Times New Roman style. My thoughts only .....

Lance Vietnam USMC hearts are Pretty rare !! I Am looking for a Korean war USMC but super hard to find one!! Much harder than wwII KIAs

• 1 month later...

Hi Scott!

Did you get more info on 1431848 SGT Clifford A Roberts yet? I love Nam ODM...

I'll post what I've found online about him (that hasn't been mentioned).

He was single, white, and a Protestant.

His USMC serial number was 1431848. He served in the Korean War previously. His MOS was 0369 (Infantry Unit Leader). His hometown is listed as San Bruno, CA.

He was indeed KIA on July 9th, 1965 on Ky Hoa Island, South Vietnam. At 0905 hours, the Junk Fleet HQ (whatever that was) on the island was attacked and overrun by roughly two VC companies. Company A was alerted and at 0909 loaded onto LVTs to the west of the island. They moved north to the hamlet of Binh An, then to an easterly point where they were engaged by heavy small arms and automatic weapons fire from Hill 12 and the hamlet of Xuan My. The Marines called in arty on both of these positions. Two platoons laid down covering fire while 3rd Platoon on the left assaulted Hill 12. One squad took heavy hits from 81mm mortar fire, and a second squad received MG fire while cutting barbed wire at the base of the hill. 3 KIA and 14 WIA suffered on the side of the Marines. Some type of armored support (Mules apparently) came on scene and started to fire M-60 and rockets at the hill which silenced the enemy fire. Hill 12 and the hamlet were quickly secured and six VC KIA were found. Company continued the attack east, discovering two more VC KIAs. They then formed a blocking position while Company B landed via LVTs at 0914 and commenced a sweep northwards. At the Junk HQ, 16 Vietnamese and two USN Junk Fleet Advisors (from 15th RVN River Assault Group, NAG) were found KIA. Company A left via LVTs after dark as Company B provided a defense perimeter for the evening.

Roberts was, of course, one of the three KIA from the Hill 12 firefight. He is listed as having been KIA by small arms/gunshot wounds.

Hope this helps. Let me know what you find out. :)

Hi Scott!

Did you get more info on 1431848 SGT Clifford A Roberts yet? I love Nam ODM...

I'll post what I've found online about him (that hasn't been mentioned).

He was single, white, and a Protestant.

His USMC serial number was 1431848. He served in the Korean War previously. His MOS was 0369 (Infantry Unit Leader). His hometown is listed as San Bruno, CA.

He was indeed KIA on July 9th, 1965 on Ky Hoa Island, South Vietnam. At 0905 hours, the Junk Fleet HQ (whatever that was) on the island was attacked and overrun by roughly two VC companies. Company A was alerted and at 0909 loaded onto LVTs to the west of the island. They moved north to the hamlet of Binh An, then to an easterly point where they were engaged by heavy small arms and automatic weapons fire from Hill 12 and the hamlet of Xuan My. The Marines called in arty on both of these positions. Two platoons laid down covering fire while 3rd Platoon on the left assaulted Hill 12. One squad took heavy hits from 81mm mortar fire, and a second squad received MG fire while cutting barbed wire at the base of the hill. 3 KIA and 14 WIA suffered on the side of the Marines. Some type of armored support (Mules apparently) came on scene and started to fire M-60 and rockets at the hill which silenced the enemy fire. Hill 12 and the hamlet were quickly secured and six VC KIA were found. Company continued the attack east, discovering two more VC KIAs. They then formed a blocking position while Company B landed via LVTs at 0914 and commenced a sweep northwards. At the Junk HQ, 16 Vietnamese and two USN Junk Fleet Advisors (from 15th RVN River Assault Group, NAG) were found KIA. Company A left via LVTs after dark as Company B provided a defense perimeter for the evening.

Roberts was, of course, one of the three KIA from the Hill 12 firefight. He is listed as having been KIA by small arms/gunshot wounds.

Hope this helps. Let me know what you find out. smile.gif

THANKS

All info helps !!! I been slowly getting more it took me over a year to find his grave!!!!

This and my 173rd AB Nov 8 1965 are my last two Nam KIAs traded the rest or sold them Now wish i have kept them all!!!! they don't show up too much anymore!!!!

Yeah, Nam medals from Purple Hearts and up (Silver Stars, DSCs etc) have become tougher to find. But we are approaching the 50th anny of the war, so it should be interesting what pops up within the next decade or two.

Here's a link the main bit of info I found for you in regards to the above entry. It has more info, including map coordinates for the island, the names and info on the other American KIAs that day and so on. Should have posted this in the original post, but I forgot. Sorry.

Roberts' Virtual Wall Entry

• 7 years later...