News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The Various Orders of Queen Elizabeth II

Dear friends and colleagues,

I am new here but will post a few topics. This one is a favourite. I am trying to collect the full set of portraits/photos of the Queen wearing each of the Orders she has from around the world. My collections is only beginning.

I would appreciate it greatly if you could add to the collection.

Many thanks, Greg.

Sovreign of the Order of Australia

Your 'unknown' is the Canadian Order of Military Merit.

I shall add pictures of the orders depicted for you when I get home tonight - all are on my website apart from the collar of the Brazilian National Order of the Southern Cross but I do have a picture of it, just haven't got around to posting it yet.

You might like to check out the Jordanian Qeladet Al Hussein ibn Ali (both here in the appropriate section and on my site) as that is not only an order Her Majesty holds, the picture is of the set that was made for her! I was sent the picture by the Master Goldsmith who made it.

Your 'unknown' is the Canadian Order of Military Merit.

I shall add pictures of the orders depicted for you when I get home tonight - all are on my website apart from the collar of the Brazilian National Order of the Southern Cross but I do have a picture of it, just haven't got around to posting it yet.

You might like to check out the Jordanian Qeladet Al Hussein ibn Ali (both here in the appropriate section and on my site) as that is not only an order Her Majesty holds, the picture is of the set that was made for her! I was sent the picture by the Master Goldsmith who made it.

I would like to see that, Megan. However I am interested in portraits of HM wearing the Orders rather than just the Orders themselves. I must say how much I use your website. I find it very useful and well set out. I have sent you some pictures of missing items over the last few years. I do hope you continue with this valuable and informative site.

Greg.

You may also have noted the pale blue and pale pink ribbon bows on Her Majesty's shoulder. These are the Royal Family Orders of her father and grandfather, normally worn by close female relatives of a Soverign and consisting of a miniature portrait of the monarch in question.

My master goldsmith friend did send me a picture of the order in wear, which I will dig out for you.

You may also have noted the pale blue and pale pink ribbon bows on Her Majesty's shoulder. These are the Royal Family Orders of her father and grandfather, normally worn by close female relatives of a Soverign and consisting of a miniature portrait of the monarch in question.

My master goldsmith friend did send me a picture of the order in wear, which I will dig out for you.

Thank you, Megan. That would be great. I have a fuzzy picture of the blue one.

Any ideas about who I should see to have the enamel repaired on an Order star ?

Greg.

• 4 months later...

I suspect she has a gong from every country she has ever visited (Par for the course), there must be draws full of them. including past defunct regimes, I wonder what she does with the one's from now "Undesirable" regimes.

Alex K

Edited by Alex K

• 1 month later...
    • 3 months later...

Is it just me or does HRH Prince Philip look like he's wearing his Garter sash and Legion d'Honeur sash UNDER his arm instead of over his shoulder? Very odd IMHO.

Peter

Yes he's wearing the sash under his arm,and it's a normal way to wear it,when on tuxedo.

Actually he is not wearing a complete sash.The sash he wear is cut and attach in the side of his tuxedo.

This is to avoid too many thickness which would have as a result to make fold on tuxedo.

The way he wear the sash makes his general appearance more handsome.

For british it's quite normal,for continental european not that much.

Emmanuel

Yes he's wearing the sash under his arm,and it's a normal way to wear it,when on tuxedo.

Actually he is not wearing a complete sash.The sash he wear is cut and attach in the side of his tuxedo.

This is to avoid too many thickness which would have as a result to make fold on tuxedo.

The way he wear the sash makes his general appearance more handsome.

For british it's quite normal,for continental european not that much.

Emmanuel

Normally, broad ribands are not worn with tuxedos in the UK, only one neck badge and one breast star.

The above picture actually shows the President wearing, what we call here "white tie" or "evening dress".

The Prince is wearing Windsor Uniform, which is only worn at Windsor Castle. This has scarlet lapells and cuffs, with three gilt buttons (on each front) bearing the garter star and Imperial crown, with two sets of two of the same buttons on the back of the jacket.

In addition to the points made by Emmanuel, the over the shoulder method results in a lot of "pulling and stretching" when one sits down and rises, especially because of the starched shirt front. Then a bit of tugging to set things right afterwards. One can feel a bit like being imprisoned by a car seat belt. When one dines, one's stomach needs to be able to expand freely!

On the Continent, I think they also wear sashes in the same way in Spain only. Most Commonwealth countries that have orders with sashes, wear them the same way, e.g. Malaysia, Tonga, Brunei.

Cheers,

James

• 10 months later...