News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Milicias de Tropas Territoriales

Taz

Cuba has three militia organizations:

The Territorial Militia Troops Milicias de Tropas Territoriales of about one million people (half women), the Youth Labour Army Ej?rcito Juvenil del Trabajo devoted to agricultural production, and a naval militia

The Cuban "War of All the People" doctrine is a defensive strategy created to try and counter an overwhelming invasion force. This strategy includes an armed population willing to fight for the defense of the homeland.

The Milicias de Tropas Territoriales (MTT) was formed in 1980 to increase the defense capability of the country. Fidel Castro stated that the MTT was necessitated in order to be "ready for combat operations not only using regular troops, but with the participation of the entire people."

In general, the militia is a part-time force with only light arms which are issued to them only on occasion. They are not capable of sustained combat, but are effective for controlling and coercing the general public. In addition, some selected units of the militia are specially armed and trained and are, in effect, army units specially dedicated to Fidel Castro.

The small badge on the left hand side shoulder patch is the MTT insignia

MTT shoulder boards

On the soldiers MTT boards you can see the small insignia as posted above.

The other boards are for a Lieutenant Colonel.

Edited by Taz

Guest Rick Research

There must be a considerable overlapping of personnel with the neighborhood Committees for the Defense of the Revolution?

Well Rick, that is maybe the case. However I see the MTT as a Territorial Military force. The CDR is a network of committees across Cuba. The organizations are designed to put medical, educational or other campaigns into national effect, and to report "counter-revolutionary" activity, not really to enforce it. Other responsibilities include arranging festivals, administrating voluntary community projects and organizing mass rallies.

So less of a Military role than the MTT.

Regards Eddie.

• 1 year later...

Hi Eddie, hi all;

shoulder boards are yours?they are very nice. I'm looking to find one pair..

In general, the militia is a part-time force with only light arms which are issued to them only on occasion. They are not capable of sustained combat, but are effective for controlling and coercing the general public. In addition, some selected units of the militia are specially armed and trained and are, in effect, army units specially dedicated to Fidel Castro.

There are also tank unit armed with T-55 and sniper brigade of MTT.

• 3 months later...
    • 9 years later...
    • 9 months later...
    • 5 months later...
    On 21/05/2020 at 18:29, Jersey Bouy said:

I have 2 of  the berets but I am missing the stars.

Any idea where I can get them?

Was there any other insignia they may have worn on the beret?

Thank you in advance. 

Hello, i've never seen single stars for sale, but I've seen brown cotton mtt berets worn without stars. The latest version supplied is in brown felt and without a star

• 8 months later...