News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

MAJOR NEW FIND! - REICHSARBEITSDIENST DIENSTALTERSLISTEN 1938/1940

I don't think it was Faatz. He had some changing combo of the Anhaltisches Arbeitsdienst Erinnerungsabzeichen, the Golden party badge and a third badge all the time until he squeezed in presumably a WW2 EK1 in the extreme right side hand pic of three.

On the other hand, the man behind Hierl clearly had the WW1 silver wound badge, some Sachsen/Thüringen (?) badge and the Johanniter. That would be Löffelholz v Colberg. And yes, they sort of looked alike.

Cheers

Elwyn

Edited by freiherr

• 1 month later...
    • Replies 129
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 5 months later...

Another interesting photo with three RAD Generals, which I received this week. The men are wearing the 1938 Reichsparteitag Tinnie.

Some square collar patches are visible, and some faces we do not see very often such as Generalarbeitsführer Rolf von Gönner (2nd from left) and Generalarbeitsführer Dr. Wilhelm Decker (1st from right), and the Reichsarbeitsführer himself (the generalarbeitsführer behind the centre figure is not clearly visible)..

Can any one please identify the jovial chap in the centre, with his Blood-Order?

Edited by Odulf

Hi Edgar,

Hope you are doing much better now.

Man with Blood Order was Wilhelm Frick, Minister of the Interior.

Decker was definitely correct. But I think the other RAD GAF was Waldemar Henrici. v Gönner was much thinner and at least 3/4 of a head taller than Hierl. You can see the flying flag being related to Lippe Detmold. That would, I think, equate to something like GAU XVIII Niedersachsen Ost. GAU XVII would be under GAF Oßwald but I have never seen him before.

Cheers

Elwyn

• 4 weeks later...

A nice early portrait of Hermann Kretschmann as Arbeitsführer, attached to the Reichsführung of the RAD in 1933.

He is wearing the tinnie of the Stahlhelm Tag der alten Garde, 1933.

Kretschman later became director of the Reichsschule and in 1941 Arbeitsgauführer of Thüringen.

And another new face, Otto Lancelle (1885-1941) with Pour le Mérite, Leiter der Reichsschule und Inspekteur der Lehrabteilungen, who lost his job in 1934 to Hermann Kretschmann (see above) after an alleged mutiny against Decker and Hierl.

He was a reserve officer in the Army and he was re-activated in October 1935. Promoted Major-General and commanding the 121. Infanterie-Division, he was shot by a sniper in Latvia on 3-7-1941. Posthumous he received the Knights Cross of the Iron Cross.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Odulf! It was the text when images was acquired by Weitze.

Well, if you look for images of Hierl on the internet, you will find that Weitze had it wrong... Hierls face is very well known, in fact his was the face of the RAD!

Hierl had a blanc (unnumbered) golden spade patch on his left upper arm, while this guy carries the Arbeitsgau number XVIII on a silver spade, which makes him an Arbeitsgauführer or AG staff member.

Thus, it could be Oswald (or perhaps his deputy Oberarbeitsführer Fhreiherr von Korff).

The adjutant left is clearly wearing silver embroidered collar patches, so the patches of (presumed) Oswald must be gold embroidered (as perscripted for General officers ranks from Generalarbeitsführer upwards).

An interesting portrait, any way.

Edited by Odulf

That is a very intersting portrait Morten.

Kurt Scharf was first in the Reichsleitung der RAD (General-management of the Labor Service) as Leiter der Truppführerschulen (in charge of the Middle-Management Training Establishments) and later he became Generalarbeitsführer and Gau-Arbeitsführer of Arbeitsgau XXVIII Franken.

In this manner, by and by, we are gathering a gallery of portraits of generals of the RAD... :)

That is a very intersting portrait Morten.

Kurt Scharf was first in the Reichsleitung der RAD (General-management of the Labor Service) as Leiter der Truppführerschulen (in charge of the Middle-Management Training Establishments) and later he became Generalarbeitsführer and Gau-Arbeitsführer of Arbeitsgau XXVIII Franken.

In this manner, by and by, we are gathering a gallery of portraits of generals of the RAD... :)

Thanks Odulf for this great information. :)

• 3 weeks later...

The Kölnische Illustrierte Zeitung of 4 November 1943 gives some very interesting information regarding Otto Lancelle (see my post at #107).

The Polish town of Rzgow was renamed Lancellenstädt to commemorate the German Army General, and division commander, Lancelle.

Rzgow lay near the larger town Lotz. Lotz was renamed Litzmannstadt in honour of the German Gerneral Litzmann who was active in the region during the 1st World War (the Germans created a arge Jewish getto in the town). But other places in the new German province Wartheland were also renamed. Thus, Kutno became Quadenstadt in rememberance of SA-Obergruppenführer Joachim Meyer-Quade who was KIA as an Infantry lieutenant (10-9-39) near the town when the German army attacked Poland in September 1939. Brzezney was renamed Löwenstadt, in commemoration of General Litzmann who fought a decisive battle near the town which gave him the nickname "Lion of Brzezney".

Edited by Odulf

Hi Morten, can you identify the (Roman) number on the spade blade patch on his left upper arm?

Hello Odulf!

Have scanned the image at different targets without getting apparent number.This is the best scann.

Best regards,Morten.

• 3 weeks later...

Recently I received this portrait. On the back is written: Arbeitsgau XVIII Niedersachsen-Ost, Dr. Wagner??? Friedrich Schröder ?

I doubt if it is Dr. Wagner, but I also doubt Dr. Fritz Schröder...

I also doubt if it is a Generalarbeitsführer and I am inclined to think he is a (Ober-/Oberst-) Arbeitsführer.

Does any one recognise this face?