News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Bulgaria-Order For People's Liberty, First Class

Instituted by decree of The Presidium of The Great Assembly, on 9th September 1945

Awarded to: Bulgarian and foreign citizens. It may be awarded posthumously, too.

Issued in two classes:

The First Class has a five-point star; it is of white enamel, gold framed on the edge. The main star is 52 mm in diameter and lies on another, yellow colored star of 54 mm in diameter. In a gold medallion, in the center of the enameled star, is placed an image of Christo Botev's face. Christo Botev was a poet and National Hero of Bulgaria (1848-1876). The image of Botev is surrounded by green enamel ring with the following inscription: "For People?s Liberty 1941-1944".

The Second Class has a 52mm. red enamel five-point star which lies on a silver colored star of 54mm. Center details remain the same as above.

Types:

The first issue was a screw-back order. The Screw-back versions of this award have been observed in two distinct variations. First version has a border to the reverse of the enameled star. The second version, the enameled star has no border. Screw-back versions are made of four individual pieces, not including the screw and screw disc. The reverse of the base star has relief rays.

The second issue is on a pentangle ribbon suspension; similar to Soviet suspensions of the era. The portrait of Christo Botev faces more to the right than the first issue pieces. Again, we have four distinct pieces with a small nut on the reverse holding the Order together.

The third & final issue is with a left side-view of Botev's face. The Order appears to still be in three pieces, however the reverse of the base star has no assembly nut. These final issue pieces have a "pebbled" or "grained" appearance to the reverse of both the enameled and base star.

Suspension pieces use a red ribbon with one or two blue lines on the edge.

Artist/Creator: Boris Angelushev

The Order was closed in 1989

Ribbon examples are courtesy of Lukasz Gaszewski.

Hi Petr! I thought we could try and separate the different classes into two threads. One for First Class, one for second?

That way we can add and discuss each of the classes on its' own merits.

I'd like to thank you again for the link to the Collector site in Russia. I have to depend on a translation website, but the images alone are fantastic and show so many variations, books, cases etc. I was up very late studying them and really enjoyed it! Вы!

Hi Petr! I thought we could try and separate the different classes into two threads. One for First Class, one for second?

That way we can add and discuss each of the classes on its' own merits.

I'd like to thank you again for the link to the Collector site in Russia. I have to depend on a translation website, but the images alone are fantastic and show so many variations, books, cases etc. I was up very late studying them and really enjoyed it! Вы!

Thanks for this good words....I spend a lot of time to make this base of communist bulgarian awards......

:cheers:

Conserning the orders of first type we must remember that there is 2 variants of this type.

One was produced from 5 parts - this variant have additional plate under the the white star. Also this variant often have signature of Hristo Botev on the central medalion....

Edited by bolgarin

• 4 years later...