News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Yugoslavian Awards

Guest Rick Research

I had a chance to scan some Communist awards (see also under the Mongolian thread) for a local collector today--

here is another Soviet-made Partisan Star 3rd Class (serial number 12,491). Obviously the screwback disks left over from the Russian 1943 suspensions changeover were recycled for these!

[attachmentid=18593][attachmentid=18594]

While that above is real silver, this Merit to the People IIIrd is some sort of light-ish silver alloy which has "flashed back" from the mirrorlike reverse finish in the scan. Serial number 82,356, and screw disk marked Z.N.B. (not ZIN as has been seen on examples posted already, so I'm wondering if a designation change may help date specific items?) KOVNITSA:

[attachmentid=18595][attachmentid=18597]

• Replies 270
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 7 December Hendrik wrote: "Thanks for that info but, as a result (and no doubt you saw this one coming ), I need to rephrase my earlier question into : when approximately did the changeover from type 2 to type 3 occur ?"

The three types of the Partisan Commemorative Decoration are:

Type I was manufactured in the USSR in April 1944 and is a screw-back award that was issued during the latter part of the war. It features an oval wreath on a red-enameled star with a soldier and the date 1941. It is made of stamped brass. 12,430 were issued. I have one that is in the post and if I ever get permission to post photos I will post it.

Type II is the more common silver star with the partisan and the small date 1941 at the bottom. It was manufactured by IKOM and is screwback. It was first issued in 1946.

Type III is the most common and is similar to Type III except it has the fish-hook pinback. I do not know the issue date of this type but would suggest that it must be relatively late because they are generally numbered in the 20000s. I have recently seen two for sale that were numbered 28,2XX and 28,6XX.

Gunner 1

Hendrick wrote: "Royal Yugoslav Commemorative War Cross - Originally instituted on 6 September 1943 (the King's birthday) by King Peter II in exile for award to those who had fought against the Germans in Yugoslavia and to those that had rendered distinguished services to the king during his exile in Britain. The obverse bears the head of the king whereas the reverse shows General Mihailovitch. Production and actual awards of this decoration only took place after the war had end"

"The Medal Collector," Vol. 18, No. 1, Jan 1967 has an article on "The Royal Jugoslav Commemorative War Cross, 1941-45" by Joseph Arner, that illustrates the cross and photos of the certificate accompanying the award (one side in Serbo-Croat and the other in English). The certificate indicates that the cross was promulgated by "the Royal Decision of September 6th, 1943" and the illustrated certificate has an issue date of 3 January 1967. The article that the award was for sale to veterans and collectors upon application to the Royal Fund of Saint Andrew, 16 West 46th Street, New York, NY.

A further article with the same title by Wilson Van Dusen in the same journal Vol. 38, No. 12, Dec 1987 states that the cross could be obtained from Colonel H. Harding Isaacson, 7 East 85th Street, NY 10028 who "was chosen to represent the King in matters of the War Cross in 1966." It further indicates that the regulation cross was $25.00 postpaid and the miniature cross $20.00 postpaid. If one bought both a certificate was issued.

In a follow-up article in "The Medal Collector", Vol. 39, No. 4, April 1988, Richard Plank illustrates the certificate issued to him, which is one-sided, in English, and significantly different than the one illustrated by Joseph Arner in the first-mentioned article. Plank states that the signature of Peter II was actually signed for him by Col. Isaacson.

Regards. Gunner 1

Rusty wrote: "I don't know. There is no good reference like McDaniel to go by and the info is scarce at best."

The best book I have found is "Katalog, Odlikovanja Jugoslavije" published by Fila Hobby M&M. I have two editions, one published in 1990 and the other in 1999. They 24 pages in length with rather poor, photocopied, photos but with good descriptions of the various subtypes. For instance for the Order of National Merit 2nd and 3rd Class there are six subtypes indicated for each class. The are written in Serbo-Croat with no English subtitles, but with a good dictionary you should be able to figure out most of the text.

Regards. Gunner 1

Hendrick wrote: "A pinback of some sorts as you can see from the picture ... S/N reads 26682 and there's some other mark there as well (manufacturer's ?

The small house shaped mark is indeed a manufacturer's mark. If you look at it with a good hand lens you will see that it is actually an outline of a building with the letters IKOM inside.

Gunner 1

Rusty wrote: "I don't know. There is no good reference like McDaniel to go by and the info is scarce at best."

The best book I have found is "Katalog, Odlikovanja Jugoslavije" published by Fila Hobby M&M. I have two editions, one published in 1990 and the other in 1999. They 24 pages in length with rather poor, photocopied, photos but with good descriptions of the various subtypes. For instance for the Order of National Merit 2nd and 3rd Class there are six subtypes indicated for each class. The are written in Serbo-Croat with no English subtitles, but with a good dictionary you should be able to figure out most of the text.

Regards. Gunner 1

Gunner 1,

Is it possible for you to scan that book? I'd love to see what they wrote since I'm building a database of types and variations on another forum.

Thanks!

Rusty.

Gunner 1,

Is it possible for you to scan that book? I'd love to see what they wrote since I'm building a database of types and variations on another forum.

Thanks!

Rusty.

Why not build that database here, Rusty. So we can see it??

And, if it is the forum I think it is, you need to take care that you retain ownership over your research.

Good points raised here... The infoirmation I'm seeing gathered is a boon to all and I for one appreciate everything I have learned thus far in this entirely new area for me! Thanks!!

Rusty, please consider not only building the database here for all, but also like Ed stated, remember to retain your rights over both text and images.

Why not build that database here, Rusty. So we can see it??

And, if it is the forum I think it is, you need to take care that you retain ownership over your research.

Ed,

It is the forum that you are thinking of. I'm not too concerned about the ownership since it's a group effort and I have had contributions from all over. I feel guilty claiming it as MY work.

I can post what I have on the other forum.

I'll make a seperate thread for it...

Rusty.

P.S. It's still work in progress...

Thanks, Rusty. Knowledge, like fertiliser, only works if it is spread around. Yet, the legitimate rights of those who do the work need to be respected (as I have addresesed in other threads).

Ed,

I like that! I'll need to remember that one!!!

The information I'm compiling is for everyone. I don't plan to write a book so I'm not concerned with rights.

It would be nice to be acknowledged but otherwise...

Rusty.

Rusty wrote: "Is it possible for you to scan that book? I'd love to see what they wrote since I'm building a database of types and variations on another forum."

Rusty: I would be quite willing to do that and to also post photos of some of the items in my collection, but my understanding is that I cannot post photos until I am declared a regular member of the forum. Regards. Gunner 1