News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Alfred von Randow with his medal bar

Very nice picture of Alfred von Randow (of the Detachement) with his full "I don't care what regulations there are..." medal bar:

Randow___Alfred_von___Detachement_Randow___sp_ter_Arbf_.jpg

Edited by webr55

• 5 weeks later...

As I understand it, there was no 1st or 2nd class. It was a pinback award - and wearing it on the medal bar was completely unofficial. The ribbon was however worn on the RIBBON bar.

• 3 years later...
    On 05/06/2008 at 19:32, webr55 said:

As I understand it, there was no 1st or 2nd class. It was a pinback award - and wearing it on the medal bar was completely unofficial. The ribbon was however worn on the RIBBON bar.

True, only 1 class. But, it was more of an either/or rather than the ribbon bar version being "unofficial" because the award document actually mentions the ribbon color and the medal being suspended from it and basically gives it as an alternative option to wear.

Edited by bolewts58

1) EK II

2) Ehrenkreuz für Frontkäampfer

3) Kriegserinnerungsmedaille (Österreich) mit Schwertern

4) Flandernkreuz

5) ?

6) Baltenkreuz

7) ?

8 ) Deutschritter-Kreuz, 2nd class with swords, although he had the grand cross with star

9) ?

10) ?

11) ?

post-547-1210098012.jpg

Edited by Deutschritter

9 hours ago, Deutschritter said:

1) EK II

2) Ehrenkreuz für Frontkäampfer

3) Kriegserinnerungsmedaille (Österreich) mit Schwertern

4) Flandernkreuz

5) ?

6) Baltenkreuz

7) ?

8 ) Deutschritter-Kreuz, 2nd class with swords, although he had the grand cross with star

9) ?

10) ?

11) ?

post-547-1210098012.jpg

5) some sort of Kaiser Wilhelm / Kaiser Franz Josef commemorative medal. There were several unofficial versions throughout the war.

7/ I'm pretty sure this is the Russian order of St. Anne 3rd class.

8)Actually the Diebitsch Cross 2nd class from Freikorps Diebitsch (an officer of Detachment von Randow would not wear the Deutschritter-Kreuz, 2nd class. It was for NCOs and enlisted men. Also, it never had swords.)

9) Hungarian War Commemorative Medal

10) Bulgarian War Commemorative Medal

11) Russian St. George Medal of the Russian West Army

The last 2 sword devices on the ribbon bar are just extra "bling" and shouldn't be there.

It's unusual that someone who started the war as a Hauptmann, finished the war, still as a Hauptmann only got an EK I and II and no state awards, not even a war merit cross or two. He was just a staff officer during the war and didn't see much combat. But, he was wounded and got a wound badge. So, one would think that he would have gotten some more awards. He was entitled to the Prussian 15 year service cross and may have even been eligible for the 25 year Officer's service cross having finished the war with 23 years service and serving another 2 in the Freikorps. Also, the Kriegserinnerungsmedaille (Österreich) mit Schwertern is in the wrong place. It should have been mounted just before the Hungarian medal. The St. George Medal should have been mounted after the Diebitsch Cross. Overall, it's quite a bizarre, mish-mash of a medal bar with some extraneous stuff thrown on it. I'm surprised he doesn't have the unofficial Ostfront Cross given he served on the Eastern front in WWI. Clearly, the tailor who put this bar together didn't totally understand the precedent regulations.

Officially, he was only entitled to wear an EKII, Ehrenkreuz für Frontkäampfer, Baltic Cross, Kriegserinnerungsmedaille (Österreich) mit Schwertern, Hungarian War Commemorative Medal and Bulgarian War Commemorative Medal.

Edited by bolewts58