News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Arab exotica

Ed_Haynes

Hi all:

I hope you don't mind, Ed, but I'd like to post my two examples of exotica...

These are both Afghan decorations from the pre Republic period and have been rather elusive in information. The one on the left is the fourth class of what has been variously described as the Order of the Afghan Throne or the Order of the Star. I'm not sure which is correct, though I am leaning towards Order of the Star. The one on the right is a complete mystery. It's the second class of some sort of order, but I have never seen another one like it nor do I have any clue as to what it was called. I can say that the badge is silver (marked 925 on the reverse), in three pieces and the seal is gold. One thing that's interesting is that I've seen that wreath design on a grand cross set of the Order of the Star (here's one on a commecial site: http://www.najafcoin.../Images/af4.jpg). Other than that, it's a mystery.

Hello again,here I have taken pictures of mine (obverse & reverse).I took the liberty to add your own picture along side mine,because you have the correct ribbon and I don't want to drive fellow collector in mistake.

It's a rare Order anyway,I bought it like that.

Emmanuel

Hi all:

I hope you don't mind, Ed, but I'd like to post my two examples of exotica...

These are both Afghan decorations from the pre Republic period and have been rather elusive in information. The one on the left is the fourth class of what has been variously described as the Order of the Afghan Throne or the Order of the Star. I'm not sure which is correct, though I am leaning towards Order of the Star. The one on the right is a complete mystery. It's the second class of some sort of order, but I have never seen another one like it nor do I have any clue as to what it was called. I can say that the badge is silver (marked 925 on the reverse), in three pieces and the seal is gold. One thing that's interesting is that I've seen that wreath design on a grand cross set of the Order of the Star (here's one on a commecial site: http://www.najafcoin.../Images/af4.jpg). Other than that, it's a mystery.

These are very beautiful pieces, plus it is silver very nice :cheers:

Lorenzo

SADDAM HJ #3

Maybe they trained the kids near the Ocean ..that would explain the color ?? rolleyes.gif

I really like this Talia Arab Unity Lion Cubs Uniform, this version was during the 1980's when Iraq had good relations with the west.

Lorenzo

My Arab (Egyptian?) medal. Can anyone give me an idea of the current value?

That is a very strange looking ribbon on this piece, looks as if it were painted.

Lorenzo

To "bump" this, to respond to a query raised in another thread, and to get it back on track:

An Iraqi medal group. I think you guys can identify the medals from the specimens already shown here? tongue.gif

Looks like a line up of an Al Bakr Era Medal Bar just missing a Nut al shujat Bravery medal which most high officers had it would look just like Al Bakr's from 1970's.

Lorenzo

Order of the Republic

Abd al-Karim Qasim 1958-59

IGG Regulation Number 27 of 1959

Manufactured by: Huguenin (Le Locle, Switzerland).

Lorenzo

I don't have one of these - bah! I was offered one some eight years ago in its case, but it was so badly damaged I could not justify purchasing a lump of scrap!

One day..........

Owain

I feel your pain, I was offered a Civil First Class a few years ago but the asking price was $10,000.00 now that is carzy!! When you told me I over paid for this military version which cost me $3,000 in 2007.

One day I will have a civil Order with out swords.

Lorenzo

I feel your pain, I was offered a Civil First Class a few years ago but the asking price was $10,000.00 now that is carzy!! When you told me I over paid for this military version which cost me $3,000 in 2007.

One day I will have a civil Order with out swords.

Lorenzo

Owain

You can see the one you were offered here at my link. I think yours is of a different Class?

http://iraqimilitaria.blogspot.com/2008/10/order-of-republic-abd-al-karim-qasim.html

Lorenzo

Yes, I had it for a while - a 2nd class military division, and whilst it pained me to hand it back, there was no way to repair or replace the missing central parts - but at least In had the good sense to take pictures.

I would have kept it that Order is very rare what was the asking price for it?

Lorenzo

I would have kept it that Order is very rare what was the asking price for it?

Lorenzo

The images you sent me were the first I have every seen of the 2nd Class, I wonder where the piece is at now?

Lorenzo

Here is another rare Arabic Exotica from my collection; the information about this piece is that it was passed around to 3 very high class collectors in Iraq. I finally bought the piece in 2007 from the owner in Baghdad, Iraq.

I have heard many names for this piece; I do know that it is a Kingdom era piece and a possible rare specimen of the Order of the Two Rivers. Each Star piece has seven arms almost like the Wisam al Rafidain from manufactured by Garrard Jewelry Company. There seems to be two blue enameled rivers streamed together on the front of the piece. The 7 Arm stars have a key like device on the reverse to place them in the center of the main Medallion. They do not stay just used to show detail of what could be an example specimen.

The original owner of this piece had many specimen Orders and Medal Charts and boards in his collection. So I am going with it is a design for one of the Rare Orders of the Two Rivers.

Lorenzo

Yes, I had it for a while - a 2nd class military division, and whilst it pained me to hand it back, there was no way to repair or replace the missing central parts - but at least In had the good sense to take pictures.

Owain

I bet throughout your years of collecting you collected many images of rare Arab medals. I am more interested in the Iraqi ODM; I hope you have a full publication that you are working on; I would hate to have not seen the illustrations before I left this world. You have shown me some very nice images that I have never seen before of Iraqi ODM and I want to thank you for that.

Thank you

Lorenzo