News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Second Class to Knights Cross conversion

Chris,

The guy is Reinhard Volkmann, he served as an NCO in the signals branch with Nachrichtenabteilung 3 until 1940 then with Nachrichten-Fern-Aufkl?rungs-Kompanie 623, part of the "Brandenburg" formations.

In May 1944 he went to Festung-Nachrichten-Aufkl?rungsstelle 10 and afterwards Nachrichten-Ersatz und Ausbildungs-Abteilung 40 where he remained until March 1945. At this point he gained his commission to Leutnant and was posted to a front line unit, Nachrichten-Fernaufkl?rungs-Kompanie 617.

Volkmann was awarded the Knight?s Cross of the War Merit Cross with Swords on 12 August 1944, for his achievements whilst serving with the Brandenburg Division.

He survived the war and this is some speculation due to the wierd showing of awards and other insignia ( the full photo shows him wearing three cuffbands) that this photo may have been posed for after the war, with him dressed up to the nines with everything he had.

Still leaves a question over that "RK" of the KVK. Awarded August 1944, not too late for him to have actually received the award., so one wonders why he has all sorts of insignia and awards, but not the original awarded RK.

Thats a strange combination... whats the little badge to the left of the ribbon bar? A special unit distinction?

I noticed that too, Chris. I have not idea what it is either!

It is strange that the Lt is not wearing his original medal for this special photo unless it is post war and someone "borrowed" it from him?!

I noticed that too, Chris. I have not idea what it is either!

It is strange that the Lt is not wearing his original medal for this special photo unless it is post war and someone "borrowed" it from him?!

The really wierd thing is that the suspension loop through which the ribbon passes appears to be the correct one from an RK of the KVK.

Here's another one.

George,

I've seen this one before, but I don't think its a case of a KVK2 being worn as a Knights Cross. There was no LW soldier of his rank won the RK of the KVK. I think this is a winner of the KVK2 just posing for a photo with it around his neck. Just awarded - wearing Fliegerbluse - so no buttonhole to thread the ribbon through as they'd normally do with a "just awarded" KVK, so drape it around the neck.

Interesting pic nevertheless.

Gordon, it's interesting that the swastika on the "RK" is black. I don't think it's from a shadow, it looks like it was actually highlighted somehow in black! Also note the change in suspension of the KVK2wX to RKwX.... someone put some serious effort into fabricating this award for him!