News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A huge soviet medal bar - 8 medals

I got this monster medal-bar a while ago. Some people say, it might be put together but I think it is original because the serial numbers and combination of awards make sense.

Edited by JensF.

Medals and serials:

Order of the October Revolution (Serial-No.: 100712)

Order of the Red Banner of Labor (345890)

Order of the Red Banner of Labor (151142)

Order of the Badge of Honor (612216)

Medal for Distinguished Work

Medal for heroic work during WWII

Medal "Veteran of Labor"

Medal "1500 years of Kiev"

I remember we have already discussed this bar on another forum.

What was surprising was the order in which the Orders of the Red Banner of Labour are displayed.

More important there are folds on the ribbons, indicating that they were removed from original five-sided suspensions. They don't have the same degee of wear.

It's possible that somebody had used old ribbons to mount the awards on the bar, but quite unusual and surprising.

Cheers.

Ch.

I remember we have already discussed this bar on another forum.

What was surprising was the order in which the Orders of the Red Banner of Labour are displayed.

More important there are folds on the ribbons, indicating that they were removed from original five-sided suspensions. They don't have the same degee of wear.

It's possible that somebody had used old ribbons to mount the awards on the bar, but quite unusual and surprising.

Cheers.

Ch.

Hi Chris!

I dont understand what you mean by, "surprising was the order in which the Orders of the Red Banner of Labour are displayed".

Jens,

Can you please scan a picture of the back of the bar?

Warm regards

Paul

Hi Chris!

I dont understand what you mean by, "surprising was the order in which the Orders of the Red Banner of Labour are displayed".

(...)

Paul

What is curious is why the Order of the Red Banner of Labor (345890) is mounted before the Order of the Red Banner of Labor (151142).

It should make more sense to mount the lower numbered one first, especially for a later mounted bar.

Just my two cents.

Ch.

Guest Rick Research

This is why I always try to get DOCUMENTED groups. Without documents, we can only guess:

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=2459

Now, with this all civilian medal bar, what I see as the problem, and why it is most likely a parts piece is that despite the 1970s Veteran of Labor and the 1982 Kiev Jubilee...

there are no 1965 and 1975 WW2 Jubilees. I'm not entirely clear on whether a 1945 Labor Victory Medal holder with ONLY that for WW2 would have been entitled to the 1968 jubilee, but I believe they would have gotten the 1978.

So this is NOT the top or bottom row as so often turn up... it is supposed to be a complete group. But it is missing medals that should be there and are not.

Without an Orders Book and no real way to even dream about tracing modern civil Orders, it will be almost impossible except in our dreams to hope for being able to confirm such combinations.

Whenever a bar like this turns up, all I can suggest is to pay LESS than what the individual awards would cost-- because common as medal backings are, Order ones with the extra front flat plate tabbed on never seem to show up to restore a Frankenstein bar to individual items. I'm not even sure that is a GOOD idea, when we cannot know...

so I just leave such bars alone.

Someday I will try to get those MILITARY bars in the linked thread confirmed.

Hi guys, I am a newcomer here... I incline to think the orders are from different persons... Not only my feeling and experience say this. The person was awarded by Medal for heroic work during WWII (41-45), then some orders and suprisingly one of the latest OOR (end of 80th). But papers only could confirm or refute my words.

If you do not have papers or a photo maybe you know a name? In this case I could investigate more...

Generally the orders are nice and you have 2 types of RBL + 1 of the latest OOR (totally 111000 awarded)!

regards, Dima

Thanks. I also thought the same. The medals and serials are in a logical order and combination. There is still the possibility, that the owner mounted them himself with the original ribbons. I think it wouldn't make sense to "fake" such a logical award combination just to hope to get more money becaues it is a medal-bar and not single awards. However, as many here said, without papers or more these are only theories.

Maybe the jubilee medals are on the second row of medals... ;)

Edited by JensF.