News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Well, I was at a graduation and missed the end of this auction. 187- Euro and I think it was a STEAL! Hopefully, someone here won this little gem. I think I have seen less than a dozen real ones... ever.

Well, I was at a graduation and missed the end of this auction. 187- Euro and I think it was a STEAL! Hopefully, someone here won this little gem. I think I have seen less than a dozen real ones... ever.

Had it bookmarked but totally forgot about it. :speechless:

It's the Prussian Krieger-Verdienstmedaille in an apparently private purchased case, most likely made in Austria - or am I wrong? Very nice though and the price was really okay...

Edited by saschaw

Hi , do anyone know how many was awarded of theese?

Since they are so rare, for what was they awarded?

I look around the internet , but couldn?t find much info about the Krieger Verdienst medallie

Allt he Best Christer

Not an too easy question you raise, but we discussed it recently on a German forum so it should work: the Prussian Krieger-Verdienstmedaille was instituted in 1835 to be awarded to foreign soldiers for merit in war and peace time. Most awards in that early days went to Russians. In 1873 the style changed to what we see above. It was awarded on the white and black ribbon for soldiers who did not yet participate a war and on the black and white ribbon for those who won it in war or participated an earlier "Feldzug" before!.

The awards in WWI, mainly to Austrians but as well to Ottoman and Bulgarian soldiers were of course on the black and white ribbon. I attached a table with the WWI awards to Austrians compared to EK I and EK II. The EKs went only to Austrian officers, an Austrian NCO couldn't get one!

If there are any more questions don't hesitate, I just wanted to get a short summary of the most important information.

Thanks Saschaw and thanks for correcting my language! Very scarce medal, I would have bid much higher for it but missed. I think the Austrian case very much is in sync with the medal. It was a wonderful little set.

Now those are some very nice images of an exceptionally scarce medal actually being worn! WOW!! I have never seen an example mounted before. Thanks!

With pleasure, but still much that's missing. Here's a W?rttemberger with a peace time award, a W?rttemberger who hasn't seen battle by now. I guess this is somewhat rarer than the (though nice) Austrians. ;)

You want more? This is my second W?rttemberger with the medal. Again, it's a peace time award but he was in China before, so got the medal on the black and white ribbon. He did NOT get it for service in China!

:speechless: