News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Does anyone know please what are the differences between an infantry used MG08/15 and the version placed inside the German tanks of WWI? I have seen an 08/15 with trunions but assume this is for use in pillboxes/fortifications. Belgians used captured WWI MG08/15 in their forts and 'added' pieces to them. I am assuming for German WWI tank use there may be no butt stock, or different ammunition feeds or indeed different water cooling system etc etc.

VMT for any help.

Mark

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know please what are the differences between an infantry used MG08/15 and the version placed inside the German tanks of WWI? I have seen an 08/15 with trunions but assume this is for use in pillboxes/fortifications. Belgians used captured WWI MG08/15 in their forts and 'added' pieces to them. I am assuming for German WWI tank use there may be no butt stock, or different ammunition feeds or indeed different water cooling system etc etc.

VMT for any help.

Mark

Hi Mark,

Hope this helps a little,

The MG's in the A7V were firmly fixed and not 08/15's but the heavier water-cooled MG 08. When aiming, the port cover and the whole gunners seat moved too which caused problems with blind corners.

Each tank had a standard, lighter MG 08/15 for use if the crew had to bail out.

Neben der Schnellfeuerkanone war der A7V mit 6 Maschinengewehren vom Typ MG 08 ausger?stet. Die MGs waren lafettiert, also fest eingebaut. Bei einer Bewegung des Maschinengewehres bewegte sich nicht nur dieses, sondern auch der daran fest angebrachte Sitz des Sch?tzen und die gepanzerte Walzenblende, die die "L?cke" verdeckte, in der das MG angebracht war.

Nachteil dieser relativ "festen" Verbauung waren tote Winkel. Diese ergaben sich vor allem im Frontbereich zwischen den vorderen MGs an den Seiten und der Kanone und n?her als 4,5 Meter am Panzer. Bei weiter entfernten Zielen konnten die noch bestehenden Probleme an der Frontseite durch Zickzackfahren gel?st werden.

Zus?tzlich befand sich in jedem A7V ein leichtes Maschinengewehr 08/15 mit 300 Schuss Munition, 6 Karabiner 98, Handgranaten und pro Besatzungsmitglied eine Pistole 08. Der Sinn, diese Waffen mitzuf?hren, war, dass die Besatzung bei Aufgabe des Panzers als Sto?trupp weiterk?mpfen konnte.

Regards Eddie

• 3 years later...

Eddie thanks - time has now passed since my first enquiry and I know now that that the MG08/15 for armour had an extra trunion stem to fit into a U bracket. So this must have been a factory made addition as it was fitted directly onto the stem of the water jacket. By the way I have some Tank Corps items you might be interested in?

Best wishes,

Mark

Still on MG08/15. Does anyone have the definitive use/evidence of wooden machine guns? Clearly training aids and/or 'dummy' trench situated guns are uses but any other ideas. I have one original period wooden MG08/15 that is without doubt a trg wpn. It is too detailed for 'deception' purposes and those bits that move to practice drills move. It has very 'Germanic' markings but I would like to see some evidence of their use in German hands in WWI. Any assistance greatly appreciated. Here are some images:

• 1 month later...
    • 1 month later...
    • 3 months later...
    • 2 months later...
    • 6 months later...
    • 1 month later...