News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Tiger tank unit emblem help

Monday at the flea market I bought a box of paper items. In it was a photo of 2 G.I.'s standing on a Tiger tank. On the front of the tank was a shield/cross emblem. Anybody offhand know what unit it is? Rich A. in Pa.

Hello Rich:

Please post a scan or photo of it and I'm certain that someone here will be able to tell you which unit the vehicle belonged to. If you can see the number on the turret, someone might even know the history of that particular vehicle.

Congratulations regarding acquisition of the photo!

"SPM"

"SPM",I can not do a scan. I can try a picture of it. I do not have good results with close up pictures though. It is only a front shot. No sides visable. Like I posted,it was in a box of paper military paper items I bought monday at the flea market. Rich A. in Pa.

Hallo RRA227 :cheers:

just got a reply from my brother who is a tank modeling fanatic:

Hi Kev,

The unit is:- Schwere Panzer-Abtuilung 506

Established from the III./Panzer-Regiment 33 (9th Panzer Division) in St Polten

(order Vfg.AHA Ia II Nr 27689/43 gehiem, dated 20 July 1943)

The commander was Major Willing.

Disbanded in the city forest of Iser-Iohn. 41 April 1945

It used Tiger 1s and 2s

Knights Cross recipient....... Stabsfeldwebel Kurt Kannenberg 9th December 1944

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Thanks for the help!! It kind of looks a bit like the StuG Brgd.322 emblem. Rich A. in Pa.

Your welcome,

but it seems unlikely that a "Tiger" would be in a StuG Brigade. The emblem below is from StuG Brigade 201. As you can see also with a cross on a shield.

I would tend to hazard a guess that it is a simplified SPzAbt 506 emblem rather than that of a StuG Brgd.

Could you please try your best and post a photo?

Regards Eddie.

What's that look like?

I know that GIs are mentioned here, but there are photos/paintings in some publications or other of a Tiger I wearing the white shield / blue cross of a British unit after capture.

Leigh,

that certainly must be a possibility, Tiger 131, was captured after a fight with Churchills of the British 48th RTR at Scorpion Gap in Red Cap Alley, Tunisia in May 1943. Markings of the British First Army and 25th Army Tank Brigade were later added.

This tank was restored and is the only remaining, running Tiger and is now on show at the Bovington Tank Museum.

Regards Eddie

Thanks again for the help. This tank has no smoke projecters and looks like it has inside damage. Rich a. in Pa.

Try as best you can to make a photo and post it if you can, many Tiger battalions had specific unit field modifications that could help to ID yours.

That damage would seem to put 131 out of the race because a shell from one of the Churchills blocked it's turret traverse during the fight and the crew bailed out without destroying the tank as was ordered.

Regards Eddie