News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Red Star and Valour Medal to a horse smith

Hello,

this nice little group came in today. My first researched group, to a horse-smith. (Where are the real combat heros?)

The awards belonged to Guards Private Grigori Alekseevich Kislyakov, who served with the 14th Guards Mozirovskoi Order of Suvorov Cavalry Division! (since 28.12.1943) His Red Star was awarded 27. March 1945 (enroute to Berlin) and his For Valor was awarded 5. May 1945 (outside Berlin).

He was born in the year 1905 and soldier in the Red Army since 28.12.1943.

His awards:

Roter Stern / Red Star 27. March 1945

Kislyakov worked as a cavalry smith. In spite of tiredness during the marches he supported reshoeing of the horses, not withstanding the lack of horseshoes and calks he made them himself, that is why there was no ireegularity in re-shoeing and the horses have not had any damages during all the marches.

For his honest and conscientious work he deserves to be awarded the governmental award ? the Order of the Red Star.

Tapferkeitsmedaille / Valour Medal 5. May 1945

Comrade Kislyakov repeatedly participated in the battles with German invaders. While working as a cavalry smith he takes good care of the horses, so that there are no unshoed horses as well as he keeps a keen eye on re-shoeing of the horses, during the marches in spite of the tiredness he always checkes on the horses during the breaks and does re-shoeing. Possessed a good and conscientious attitude towards his duties.

For his good and honest work he got the Valour Medal.

In his "soldier knischka" is a Medal for Victory over Germany mentioned (in the award card not)

History of the 14. Cavalry Division

- former 21. Mountain Cavalry Division (1941)

- since 14. Februar 1943 guard unit

- under command 7 Guard Cavalry Corps (1943-1945)

Assignment 14. Cavalry Division

- Chernigov / Ukraine (September 1943)

- Mozyr / Ukraine (Januar 1944)

- Lublin,Brest / Polen (July 1944)

- Ost Pommern (Februar 1945)

- Berlin (April 1945)

- Brandenburg (April 1945)

As to my very little russian language knowledge, maybe somebody could find out some more interesting things.

regards

Andreas

Edited by Alfred

Guest Rick Research

He was from the city of Mary (or Marii), Mariiskaya Oblast. Russian, not a CPSU member. Only had 2 classes of schooling. Drafted from Krasnovodsky Raion MilCom. Never wounded.

Wife Yevdokiya Nikolaevna Sapova.

Demobilized as a member of an essential civilian occupation 25 July 1945, and in 1947 working as a blacksmith at the City of Mary Oblpromkombinat as a blacksmith.

Nobody looked after soldiers in the Red Army, but he looked after his unit's horses. Good for him.

Thanks for the help and the comments,

Yes there is sadly no photo in the soldier knischka, I don?t know if there is photo in

his personal file. This group only came with the award card and the two citations.

But as I know, photos in the personal files for lower grade soldiers are not so common.

regards

Andreas

Hi Andreas,

i agree, its a nice pair. But you are right, where are all those combat-heros? I guess, they go into collections immediately and don?t even appear on the market. Everyone wants groups to Combat heros and i guess, they are willing to pay a premium for these groups. Well, i would... :blush:

best,

Gerd