News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Other Turkish Awards

Stogieman

Wonderful to see these pieces. This makes only the third cased Imtiaz I have ever seen. This is the first Turkish case, the other 2 were from German makers.

Thanks, it's always a pleasure to show the beauties to other men. I' will end my postings so far with an double interesting GO-Set of the medjidie before 1914. The box is the same type as stogieman showed earlier in the tread. from my point of view these boxes are the rarest. the red velvet ones are (no sorry have been :D ) easier to find on the market.

haynau

Edited by haynau

The interesting thing with the badges is the diameter of the breaststar. all my few other go-stars have a diameter of exactly 75mm while the GC-Stars differ between 95 and 110 mm (very old one). This GO-Star has unexpected 85mm diameter.

haynau

Edited by haynau

• 2 weeks later...
    Guest Rick Research

Santa came early today :jumping::jumping::jumping: and brought me a THIRD unmounted "silver" Liakat Medal with Sabers bar. This is the recycled tunafish can metal Turkish issue with original Turkish ribbon mounting-- the slide on Sabers Bar is contained in a neatly sewn little section of the ribbon which once also contained the double prong French style pin fastener-- the holes for which show on the reverse:

[attachmentid=17594]

Greetings Haynau... he back has the usual prong/eyelet mounting that we see on this style of ribbon?

Whatever that means..

I've got to apologize but for that sentence my english isn't good enough. a lot of time went by since i have done my A-levels.

So the easiest way is shoiwing the ribbons backside. :P

regards haynau

PS: later on you can explain prong/eyelet ... to me

PS: later on you can explain prong/eyelet ... to me

haynau,

That trifold ribbon is very nice.

A prong is a word that usually describes part of a fork (Zinke einer Gabel), but in this case it means the end of the wire hook. Eyelet = ?se.

David

Edited by David Gregory

My apologies Haynau, I should have said hook & eye!

Funny, this expressions i would have understood. normaly i look up difficult vocabulary in my dictionary. but at the moment i can't find the dam... book.

anyway, living is learning and my english needs a permanent brush-up.

so gents it's up to me to say thank you for lesson.

haynau

Funny, this expressions i would have understood. normaly i look up difficult vocabulary in my dictionary. but at the moment i can't find the dam... book.

anyway, living is learning and my english needs a permanent brush-up.

so gents it's up to me to say thank you for lesson.

haynau

For a quick online look-up try http://dict.leo.org/

Guest Rick Research

Don't feel bad-- I learned German BEFORE computers.

So, while I can find my way to the railway station, ask for food (and get what I ask for), and do "useful" things like verbally emplace machine guns...

it is as if I have been in prison on another planet for 30 years: my German is "fossilized" in the past. I do not know ANY German computer terms.

Well, I don't know many English ones either.

Hmm.

• 1 month later...

Wonderful medals !

would any of you gentlmen be able to help me, I'm clueless as to identifying the uniform on that Carte de Visite :

IPB Image

The photographer is from Frankfurt.

Here's a close up on the orders ; I was wondering if the left one might be a Medjidie (though it looks a bit small) :

IPB Image

And a close up on his hat that somehow has some turkish flavour :

IPB Image

Any idea ?

Thanks

Bonjour Djedi,

the left decoration is defintely an old medjidie 4th or 5th class of the criemea type, the decoration to the right could be an austrian milit?rverdienstkreuz old type. the cross dating from then 1860ies with war decoration (oakleaves) on an early more-violett-than-red trifold ribbon.

haynau

On a similar note of inquiry as Djedi's: I have a lovely Turkish kinjul, recently received as a gift, with a gold inscription on the blade. Does any of you gentlmen read Persian script or know where I might get it translated? I can send an image but probably not to this forum - still wrestling with the size restriction thing.

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated!

Lovely, lovely decorations, BTW. I drool in your collective direction! :P

Peter