News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Army of India Medals

One of my recent addictions.

This one just in, so I thought IU'd make it a "thread-starter", as it is (so far) the earliest campaign represented in my small AoI collection.

As with all else, interested only in medals to Indians, not those to Natives (of the British Isles).

Army of India Medal, clasp "ASSYE" - DURMAJEE ROW 4th LIGHT CAVy

The first India General Service Medal, created retroactively on 21 March 1851 to reward campaigns from 1803 to 1826 (though, technically, and according to the dates on the medal itself, it covered campaigns 1799-1826).

Medals to Indians are uncommon, many having been de-named by European collectors and dealers over the years. Partial rolls for Indians are available and need to be studied.

This, with clasp "Corygaum" is named to "Guide Wali Dull Sing. Attd. Madras Artillery". The defence of Corygaum was 1 January 1818. Only one specimen known to a European as a single clasp and three in combination with other clasps. At present, the number to Indians is unknown. Gordon estimates the total defending garrison at about 900.

Sepoy Mohan Lal. 28th Native Infty.

Clasps: NAGPORE and MAHEIDPOOR.

Interestingly, the regiment in which this is named is not in BB&M (no big surprise here!), as it was only raised in 1846 as the 28th Regiment of Bombay Native Infantry (later the 128th Pioneers and 3/2nd Bombay Pioneers). Obviously, his service was in another regiment but the medal is named to his post-1846 unit. Research is called for.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ed, are there other medals to non-British forces like these??

Sorry, I may be dense, but I'm not quite sure what your question is.

These medals were awarded as the third of the great retrospective series of campaign medals for early campaigns, the first two being issued by the Crown (Naval General Service Medal and Military General Service Medal, for the wars against Napoleon, mostly) and this by the East India Company (at Wellington's insistence) to both Natives (of the British Isles) and Indians who were alive and who could be found who had served in these various campaigns. This broke the earlier pattern (already "softened" by the medal issued by the company for the First Sikh War) of "one campaign/one medal" and set a "general service medal" pattern which more or less continues until the present day (though more so in Pakistan than in India).

If you are asking whether medals were issued by non-Company forces, by their opponents, the answer is "probably not", though there are tantalising hints in the records of Maratha medals. THere were Sikh orders and medals, but not for services against the British (apparently).

Am I even close to answering your question?

Hi Ed, my apologies for a lack of clarity late last night. What I should have asked is:

Are there other medals like this that were extended to Non-British natives serving under British command/authority.

I know basicly zip about British pieces. I must say however that the history behind these awards, their age, beauty and perspective are completely fascinating and captivating. I have learned more in my areas of "non-speciality" since joining this forum than on any other I have participated in previously.

Hi Ed, my apologies for a lack of clarity late last night. What I should have asked is:

Are there other medals like this that were extended to Non-British natives serving under British command/authority.

I know basicly zip about British pieces. I must say however that the history behind these awards, their age, beauty and perspective are completely fascinating and captivating. I have learned more in my areas of "non-speciality" since joining this forum than on any other I have participated in previously.

Oh . . . good question. (And I fully understand the pitfalls of writing late-evening or early-morning!)

You are creating a monster. I shall answer this in another thread. Hold on tight . . . .