News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The shape of things to come

Ed_Haynes

• 3 weeks later...

OK, here is where things stand:

-- Two nagging questions are now resolved. Final printing and binding are underway even as I type.

-- The decision on cover design has been made (after much to-and-fro).

-- The book -- Edward S. Haynes and Rana T. S. Chhina, Medals and Decorations of Independent India ([New Delhi]; Manohar, 2008; ISBN 978-81-7304-719-0; 272 pp.) -- will be out, I/we/they think/expect/hope, by about this Friday, 27 June. It will be hardbound, full-color (and full-colour too), on coated paper.

-- It will be listed for purchase (ASAP) on the publisher's website -- www.manoharbooks.com --with an anticipated price of Rs. 2750.

-- Like any other book that is not 'sacred text', it isn't prefect, but will, we hope, be of use.

-- Once it is out, anyone who can get Rana and me together in the same place (pre-paid airline tickets?) is welcome to autographed copies.

-- I am looking for someone to have at least a 'FOR DISPLAY ONLY' copy in the bourse at the OMSA, thought I may not be there myself.

I hope it was worth the long gestation.

While both Rana and I have other, separate, projects on the table just now, a South Asian Battles and Medals is being discussed.

At last!! I have been buying Indian awards for years in anticipation.

Sign me up for a copy or two!!

South Asian Battles and Medals, I am drooling with anticipation. Shame you won't be at OMSA

Paul

Oh man, this is worse than when I was a kid and waiting for school to close for the summer. Of course I started waiting around October. :rolleyes:

I had better order a couple because the first one will be worn out in no time.

This will probably mean this winter will be spent correcting all of my mislabelled gongs. :blush:

Cheers :cheers:

Brian

The book is out. Got a few copies just prior to leaving Delhi for the airport. (Back now, physically, mostly.)

Should be on their website soon ('soon').

A display copy will be at OMSA and, perhaps, copies for sale (I am getting a shipment of twenty).

More details when some degree of sanity dawns. :unsure:

Edited by Ed_Haynes

• 2 weeks later...

Copies at OMSA? If so, where?

Hugh

There will be at least one copy on display. If possible, a few will also be available for sale. Details to follow.

I had hoped to be at OMSA myself, but basic realities of life (time, money, etc.) make this impossible.

By the way- In My humble opinion a "South Asian Battles and Medals" would be a work of lasting importance and bring great fame and glory to the authors, if done well.

I would also buy a copy in a heartbeat and so would more than a few OMRS buffs.

By the way, Ed-do you have any thoughts on the Kargil war book? (Strategic failure, tactical victory?)?

Edited by Ulsterman

Received my Copy today - under a week from order to delivery!!

Good book, certainly gives me a far greater insight into Republic of India Awards than I had previously.

I now know what the Indian Medals I have in my collection were awarded for.

Ralph

Edited by Ralph

• 2 weeks later...
    • 2 weeks later...

At OMSA: Our fellow forumite E. J. Fischer will have several copies for sale and will have flyers for easy ordering once you've seen the book.

At OMRS: Unknown at present, shall advise.

Good news! I know my luggage will be slightly heavier on the way home from Jacksonville now...