News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A truly significant award of great interest to me personally.

During the First World War, various sources state that either 6 or 7 awards of the Knight's Cross were awarded to non-Bavarians.

In discussion with the venerable Mr. Research several years ago, Rick listed the names, ranks and duty positions of these personnel and I have managed to lose the information.

As I recall, the less famous - non-naval recipients were all General Staff officers.

Could any of our membership provide the list?

Nerger, Dohna-Schlodien and Weddigen really require no further identification due to their notoriety however the others seem to regularly get lost in the pages of history.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

wem

Considering one of my cousins was a recipient, it is of interest to me personally as well.

Wouldn't it be nice for those of us without Bayerns Goldenes Ehrenbuch or similar references to have a nice, online-accessible list of recipients? hint.. hint...

I only have a list compiled from various sources of my own, but it only has 183 or so names.

BTW, Max Hoffmann is one of the missing general staff officers.

Really good stuff and thanks!

Any chance of fleshing out information on the "other four"?

I am curious - is there any controversy on the 6 versus 7 count? Do Bayerns Goldenes Ehrenbuch and Virtuti Pro Patria. agree? I?ve been coached to consider Virtuti to be the definitive resource but unfortunately I own neither book. (Would love to change that statement some day!) I know Klietmann puts the number at 7.

There was also one officer, Leutnant Ritter von Steiner, who was awarded the Commanders Cross of the Militär Max-Joseph Order posthumously. He already had the Knightscross.

Edited by Dave Danner
    fix diacritic

Guest Rick Research

"Virtuti Pro Patria" is the definitive work. Alas, it merely LISTS the non-Bavarians, and does not give biographies for them.

That could be remedied from the new ongoing Pour le Merite recipients volumes (which I do not have).

These are the only non Bavarian Knight-class recipients:

1) Kaptlt zS Otto Weddigen

2) Kapt zS Nikolaus Burggraf und Graf zu Dohna-Schlodien

3) k. pr. Oberst iG Fritz von Lossberg

4) k. pr. Oberst iG Maximilian Hoffmann

5) k. pr. Major iG Wilhelm?/Ludwig? Freiherr von Willisen

6) Fregkapt zS Karl August Nerger

the three non-Bavarian naval recipients were simply "celebrity gongs" handed out to the publicity heroes of the moment. Von Lossberg and Hoffmann were top "Supreme Command" type General Staff officers. Baron Willisen is shown as Ludwig in the PLM book I have but Wilhelm in VPP. Both agree that this was the same officer, GSO of 14th Army. WHY he would have been so singled out I haven't a clue.

All other recipients in the Knight grade were Bavarian citizens.

Baron Willisen is shown as Ludwig in the PLM book I have but Wilhelm in VPP. Both agree that this was the same officer, GSO of 14th Army. WHY he would have been so singled out I haven't a clue.

I think it is both: Ludwig Wilhelm Freiherr von Willisen.

Do you know the date of award? His Pour le Merite came on November 1, 1917. That would seem to tie it to the Caporetto Offensive, but that would also be a rather quick award.

Looking at other officers associated with this action, XIV. Armee commanding general Otto von Below already had the PlM with Oakleaves at this time. The Oakleaves to Eberhard von Hofacker's PlM came on November 24, 1917. I think Hasso von Wedel and Hermann Freiherr von Stein also received Oakleaves on the same date, but sources differ. Hans von Below's PlM was on the same date.

Arnold Lequis' Oakleaves were later, on December 5, 1917. Ferdinand Schoerner's PlM was on the same date. Ludwig Ritter von Tutschek's PlM was awarded on December 8, 1917. Rommel's PlM came on December 10, 1917.

Guest Rick Research

Baron Willisen is shown as 14 November 1917. It seems-- but the literal handful of non-natives makes such an assumption mere speculation-- that these were "immediate" awards from the King's hand, apparently without the laborious processing and Orders Community vetting that Bavarians went through.

Anyone know Frhr. v. Willisen's other awards? Given Württemberg's connections to the command and the operations, if he got a wMVO too we could add him to that select group of recipients of more than two top awards.

Not counting nobles and generals and admirals with high grades of various awards, we have previously identified Nerger and Graf Dohna as the only ones with all five. Hoffmann (Prussia, Saxony and Bavaria), Frhr v. Richthofen (Prussia, Saxony and Württemberg) and Weddigen (Prussia, Saxony and Bavaria) each hit a trifecta.

Edited by Dave Danner
    fix diacritic

Oh boy! Am I ever enjoying this thread!

So how did Karl Georg slip into the list?

As to Steiner - I recall O'Connor mentioning him - on a par with Immelmann's Commander II of the MSHO. Steiner must have been some stud - platoon leader in the assault troops if my recall is correct. That's remarkable recognition for an Infantryman and an LT too boot! In my estimation - that's recognition a notch above that given even Manfred von Richthofen.

Okay, so this is the list of the ones I know, which hopefully those with the references can flesh out. This has 187 names, but several of these were recipients of the Kommandeurkreuz or the Großkreuz. A few officers, such as Felix Graf von Bothmer and Karl Ritter von Fasbender, were recipients of more than one grade during the course of the war. Besides filling in the names that are missing, what would be the data points for a concise online reference? Name, date of award, rank at time of award, other known awards?

Also, does anyone know why some Bavarian recipients, like Max von Kirschbaum, apparently weren't ennobled with the Ritterstand?

1. Hans Ritter von Adam

2. August Ritter von Ade

3. Franz Prinz von Bayern

4. Heinrich Prinz von Bayern

5. Leopold Prinz von Bayern

6. Albert Ritter von Beckh

7. Joseph Ritter von Bengl

8. Reinhold Ritter von Benz

9. Paul Ritter von Betzel

10. Friedrich Ritter von Bogendörfer

11. Felix Graf von Bothmer

12. Ludwig Graf von Bothmer

13. Robert Graf von Bothmer

14. Alfons Ritter von Bram

15. Julius Ritter von Braun

16. Maximilian Ritter von Braun

17. Ernst Ritter von Brunner

18. Hermann Ritter von Burkhardt

19. Eugen Ritter von Clauß

20. Jakob Ritter von Danner

21. Adolf Ritter von Denk

22. Friedrich Ritter von Deßloch

23. Martin Ritter von Dittelberger

24. August Ritter von Döderlein

25. Nikolaus Burggraf und Graf zu Dohna-Schlodien

26. Robert Ritter von Doser

27. Eduard Ritter von Dostler

28. Paul Ritter von Dreher

29. Anton Ritter von Dümlein

30. Heinrich Ritter von Düsel

31. Karl Ritter von Düwell

32. Wolfgang Ritter von Eder

33. Wilhelm Ritter von Eitzenberger

34. Nikolaus Ritter von Endres

35. Franz Ritter von Epp

36. Karl Ritter von Fasbender

37. Maximilian Christoph Ritter von Feil

38. Ludwig Ritter von Finsterlin

39. Karl Ritter von Fritsch

40. Heinrich Ritter von Füchtbauer

41. Otto Ritter von Füger

42. Wilhelm Ritter von Gademann

43. Eduard Ritter von Gartmayr

44. Ludwig Freiherr von Gebsattel

45. Kurt Ritter von Geitner

46. Carl-Siegfried Ritter von Georg

47. Hermann Ritter von Giehrl

48. Emerich Freiherr von Godin

49. Karl Ritter von Gonnermann

50. Alfred Ritter von Göringer

51. Franz Ritter von Goß

52. Robert Ritter von Greim

53. Eugen Ritter von Gries

54. Friedrich Ritter von Haack

55. Eugen Ritter von Halder

56. Karl Ritter von Halt

57. Johann Ritter von Häsele

58. Bruno Ritter von Hauenschild

59. Hubertus-Maria Ritter von Heigl

60. Otto Ritter von Heilingbrunner

61. Siegfried Ritter von Heindl

62. Franz Ritter von Held

63. Hans Ritter von Hemmer

64. Georg Ritter von Hengl

65. Theodor Ritter von Herrmann

66. Franz Ritter von Hipper

67. Jakob Ritter von Hitzler

68. Franz Ritter von Hofer

69. Konrad Ritter von Hofmann

70. Maximilian Hoffmann

71. Eduard Ritter von Hollidt

72. Kurt Ritter von Hopffer

73. Maximilian Ritter von Höhn

74. Franz Ritter von Hörauf

75. Eduard Ritter von Hörnle

76. Otto Ritter von Hübner

77. Hugo Ritter von Huller

78. Friedrich Ritter von Hurt

79. Otto Ritter von Jäger

80. Paul Ritter von Jahrei?

81. Gustav Ritter von Kahr

82. Lukas Ritter von Kaufmann

83. Friedrich Ritter von Kieffer

84. Christoph Ritter von Kiefhaber

85. Maximilian von Kirschbaum

86. Karl Ritter von Kleinhenz

87. Paul Ritter von Kneußl

88. Wilhelm Ritter von Knorr

89. Paul Ritter von Köberle

90. Hans Ritter von Kohlmüller

91. Wilhelm Ritter von Kollmann

92. Hugo Ritter von Kraemer

93. Konrad Krafft von Dellmensingen

94. Friedrich Ritter von Kraußer

95. Friedrich Freiherr Kreß von Kressenstein

96. Friedrich Ritter von Kriebel

97. Maximilian Ritter von Kuchler

98. Friedrich Ritter von Kunzmann

99. Dr. Christian Ritter von Langheinrich

100. (Titus) Ritter von Lanz

101. Hermann Ritter von Lechner

102. Wilhelm Georg Ritter von Leeb

103. Hans Ritter von Lehnert

104. Hermann Ritter von Lenz

105. Hans Ritter von Lex

106. Rudolf Ritter von Leitenstorfer

107. Walter Ritter von Lichtenberger

108. Stuart Ritter von Linhardt

109. Anton Ritter von Löhr

110. Fritz von Loßberg

111. Joseph Ritter von Maußner

112. Wilhelm Ritter von Meng

113. Hans Ritter von Mieg

114. Hilmar Ritter von Mittelberger

115. Arnold Ritter von Möhl

116. Maximilian Ritter von Müller

117. Maximilian Ritter von Müller

118. Maximilian Ritter von Mulzer

119. Heinrich Ritter von Mußbach

120. Karl August Nerger

121. Lothar Ritter von Nerz

122. Hans Ritter von Neubert

123. Dr. Oskar Ritter von Niedermayer

124. G?nther Freiherr von Pechmann

125. Otto Freiherr von Pechmann

126. Hugo Ritter von Pflügel

127. Maximilian Ritter von Pohl

128. Christian Ritter von Popp

129. Otto Ritter von Pracher

130. Karl Ritter von Prager

131. Hans Freiherr von Pranckh

132. Sigmund Freiherr von Pranckh

133. Ludwig Ritter von Radlmaier

134. Otto Ritter von Rauchenberger

135. Josef Ritter von Reiß

136. Wilhelm Ritter von Reitzenstein

137. Karl Ritter von Riedl

138. Otto Ritter von Rizzi

139. August Ritter von Roser

140. Friedrich (Fritz) Ritter von Röth

141. Walter (Hans?) von Ruckteschell

142. Ludwig Ritter von Rudolph

143. Adolf Ritter von Ruith

144. Gustav Ritter von Sailer

145. Otto Ritter von Saur

146. Joseph Ritter von Schäffer

147. Reinhard Scheer

148. Dr. Baptist Ritter von Scheuring

149. Eduard Ritter von Schleich

150. Joseph Ritter von Schmauß

151. Hans Ritter von Schmidt

152. Joseph Ritter von Schmidt

153. Johann Ritter von Schmidtler

154. Christian Ritter von Schneider

155. Oskar Ritter von Schneider

156. Eugen Ritter von Schobert

157. Albert Ritter von Schoch

158. Karl Ritter von Schoch

159. Hermann Ritter von Schöpf

160. Wilhelm Ritter von Schramm

161. Theodor Ritter von Schredinger

162. Wilhelm Ritter von Schrenk

163. Ernst Ritter von Schrott

164. Johann (Hans) Ritter von Seißer

165. Hermann Ritter von Speck

166. Hans Freiherr von Speidel

167. Friedrich Ritter von Städtler

168. Anton Ritter von Staubwasser

169. Hermann Freiherr von Stein

170. Josef Ritter von Steiner

171. Lorenz Ritter von Stransky-Griffenfeld

172. Wolfgang Ritter von Strobel

173. Wilhelm Ritter von Thoma

174. Friedrich Ritter von Tumma

175. Adolf Ritter von Tutschek

176. Ludwig Ritter von Tutschek

177. Karl Ritter von Weber

178. Otto Weddigen

179. Karl Ritter von Wenninger

180. Ludwig Wilhelm Freiherr von Willisen

181. Ludwig Ritter von Wilm

182. Karl Ritter von Wucher

183. Ludwig Ritter von Würssel

184. Herbert Ritter von Wurm

185. Rudolf Ritter und Edler von Xylander

186. Eugen Ritter von Zoellner

187. Maximilian Ritter von Zottmann

Edited by Dave Danner
    fix diacritics

Guest Rick Research

That is correct. The MMJO conferred PERSONAL lifetime nobility on COMMONERS-- rather like the English Knightage. It was not hereditary-- though just to confuse things, there WERE a number of old hereditary "Ritter von" titles which had NOTHING to do with the MMJO.

Karl Ritter von Georg was a Bavarian.

There are too many errors on Dave's list for me to deal with. The MMJO recipients alphabetized with ? as oe, which alters the alphabetization. I got into TRYING to insert names inas far as the Hs above in that list, but between the errors, ommissions and so on I simply cannot TYPE with one arm and my elbow propping open the VPP volume. My neck is KILLING me from being hunched over. I will copy/paste it and LABORIOUSLY re-do it when I can.

The dates for all MMJOs-- the THREE dates for Bavarians (award date often years from action date and enrollment ino the personal nobility) can be found in the Autengruber volume on Bavarian awards for MVO4X from Captain up. MMJO dates are a nightmare of retroactive and conflicting publication, with many God Knows How made AFTER the war, with a private association (the MMJO Knights) somehow continuing to confer titles of nobility under the Republic-- blatantly illegal, and inexplicable.

The Autengruber volume contains all the correct names.

Rick Research said:

That is correct. The MMJO conferred PERSONAL lifetime nobility on COMMONERS-- rather like the English Knightage. It was not hereditary-- though just to confuse things, there WERE a number of old hereditary "Ritter von" titles which had NOTHING to do with the MMJO.

Karl Ritter von Georg was a Bavarian.

Rather than endless mess, I will simply insert the missing names-- laboriously retyped from a propped open vilume, into Dave's list. Somebody who wants to can renumber et cetera all that. I can't type endlessly with one hand, let alone two.

The dates for all MMJOs-- the THREE dates for Bavarians (award date often years from action date and enrollment ino the personal nobility) can be found in the Autengruber volume on Bavarian awards for MVO$X from Captain up. MMJO dates are a nightmare of retroactive and conflicting publication, with many God Knows How made AFTER the war, with a private association (the MMJO Knights) somehow continuing to confer titles of nobility under the Republic-- blatantly illegal, and inexplicable.

Thanks Christophe and Rick. For some reason, I thought there were a few "vons" who added a "Ritter" as well. Obviously, for a Freiherr or Prinz, Ritter would be a step down, though.

There may be a couple on the list who were hereditary Ritters. Lacking the nice easy sources, for some I had to cross-reference the 1914 list to the Ehren-Rangliste, to see if they had Ritter before the war started. I suppose there might even be colonial MMJO knights who weren't hereditary, but had the title in 1914.

I suppose rather than the date of award, more significant would be the date (and place) of the action. Unit too. Though it would be interesting to see what the pattern was, especially with post-war ones. Was there an attempt to fix things for people neglected because, say, they were serving under a non-Bavarian senior command and thus didn't get more timely recognition?

As for conferring titles of nobility, this is Article 109 of the Weimar Constitution:

Alle Deutschen sind vor dem Gesetze gleich.

Männer und Frauen haben grundsätzlich dieselben staatsbürgerlichen Rechte und Pflichten.

Öffentlich-rechtliche Vorrechte oder Nachteile der Geburt oder des Standes sind aufzuheben.

Adelsbezeichnungen gelten nur als Teil des Namens und dürfen nicht mehr verliehen werden.

Titel dürfen nur verliehen werden, wenn sie ein Amt oder einen Beruf bezeichnen; akademische Grade sind hierdurch nicht betroffen.

Orden und Ehrenzeichen dürfen vom Staat nicht mehr verliehen werden.

Kein Deutscher darf von einer ausländischen Regierung Titel oder Orden annehmen.

A straightforward reading would be that noble titles were simply converted into parts of one's name (Joe, Duke of Wherever, just became Joe "Duke of Wherever"), and that noble titles could no longer be conferred. Titles could only be awarded for an office or occupation. Being a "Knight" wasn't exactly a job in 1920s Bavaria, though, so they probably just creatively interpreted it to mean that you just (i) happened to get an MMJO and (ii) happened to go to the local clerk's office to change you name by adding a "Ritter von". Of course, since this wouldn't be a title, but a legal name change, presumably unlike in the kingdom it would be heritable. Does anyone know if the children of any of these postwar recipients style themselves "Ritter von ___"?

Edited by Dave Danner
    fix diacritics

Rick,

I seem to recall reading on some other website (which I know doesn't necessarily make it true) that if a MMJO ritter had two ancestors who were also knights, then the title was hereditary. Was that information bogus?????????????

Rick,

I seem to recall reading on some other website (which I know doesn't necessarily make it true) that if a MMJO ritter had two ancestors who were also knights, then the title was hereditary. Was that information bogus?????????????

I too have seen this in print and I too can not readily identify the source but can assure you that it was print not electronic - wait - it comes back to me...

It was Werlich's "Orders & Decorations of All Nations".

Edited by W McSwiggan

Guest Rick Research

Postwar conferrals of MMJO titles were illegal. De facto recognition did not make them de jure. The titles were never heritable and no child in VPP ever tried that on! There were NO hereditary aspects to World War One MMJO titles-- or 1870 ones either, for that matter, as evidenced by mentions of intergenerational recipients in the VPP. Posthumous bestowals did NOT receive the actual Order, and I have not seen any actual paperwork presented either to confirm whether there was any "souvenir" purpose in that. There was, of course, NO point whatsoever in enrolling DEAD people in the lifetime :speechless: nobility, when there were no perks or privileges to any spouse or children.

Complete List of all WW1 Ritterkreuz MMJO recipients

including the 6 non-Bavarians. Rank at time received KNIGHT grade. Dates are: "action date," bestowal/enrollment in personal nobility (NA not applicable if ALREADY hereditary nobility). Note many postwar and posthumous dates!!! Sources: "Virtuti Pro Patria" (1966 WW1 recipients' biographical volume BY the Association of MMJO Knights) and the Personal Nachrichten gazettes of awards/personal nobility enrollments as transcribed by the late Erhard Roth and published in the Autengruber series. ALL Ritterkreuz recipients who received a higher grade of the MMJO are so noted. Be aware that there were recipients of higher grades who did NOT receive the Ritterkreuz!!!!

The list is now complete and FINISHED, Tuesday October 18: DONE.

1. Karl Ritter von Abt : (KIA 14.12.17) Lt dR 12.11.14 (1.10.17/20.12.17)

2. Hans Ritter von Adam : (KIA 15.11.17) Lt dL 28.7.17 (20.5.19 !!! /X !!!) {posthumous & postwar}

3. August Ritter von Ade : (KIA 1916) Major 27.8.14 (7.9.15/15.10.15)

4. Karl Ritter von Aldebert : (KIA 1918) Oberlt dR 24.3.18 (after 1921 !!!) {posthumous & postwar}

5. Carl Freiherr von Andrian-Werburg : Hptm 23.6.16 (7.8.19 !!! /NA) {postwar}

6. Franz Prinz von Bayern* : (also received Commander grade) Genmaj 25.5.16 (14.8.16/NA) * Pour le Merite

7. Heinrich Prinz von Bayern : (KIA 8.11.16) Major 25.6.16 (6.3.17!!!/NA) {posthumous}

8. Albert Ritter von Beckh : Major 20.6.15 (5.12.17/12.2.18)

9. Joseph Ritter von Bengl : (DOW 1919) Lt 2.11.18 (4.2.20 !!!/X!!!) {posthumous & postwar}

10. Reinhold Ritter von Benz : (KIA 1918) Lt 28.9.15 (3.11.19 !!!/X) {posthumous & postwar}

11. Paul Ritter von Betzel : Major 20.8.14 (21.5.15/22.6.15)

12. Friedrich Ritter von Bogendörfer* : Oberst 20.9.18 (4.12.20 !!!/ after !!!) {postwar} * Pour le Merite

13. Anton Ritter von Bolz : Major dR 1.12.17 (17.12.19 !!!/ after !!!) {postwar}

14. Wilhelm Ritter von Börgmann (died 1939) Oberlt dR 28.5.18 (9.11.20 !!!/ after !!!) {postwar}

15. Felix Graf von Bothmer* : (also received Commander and Grand Cross) Gen d Inf 9.4.15 (21.9.15/NA) * Pour le Merite

16. Ludwig Graf von Bothmer : Oberlt 6.1.17 (1.4.19 !!!/NA) {postwar}

17. Robert Graf von Bothmer : (KIA 28.9.18) Major 6.1.17 (8.9.18/NA)

18. Alfons Ritter von Bram : Oberstlt 1.7.16 (25.9.17/27.11.17)

19. Julius Ritter von Braun : Oberstlt 13.11.14 (16.12.15/24.1.16)

20. Maximilian Ritter von Braun : Major 20.8.14 (11.12.14/14.1.15)

21. Ernst Ritter von Brunner : Major 9.5.15 (21.10.15/17.11.15)

22. Eugen Ritter von Clauß : Genmaj 30.10.14 (29.3.15/25.5.15)

23. Eduard Freiherr von Crailsheim : (KIA 8.5.15) Genmaj 8.5.15 (22.7.16 !!!/NA) {posthumous}

24. Jakob Ritter von Danner : Oberstlt 1.12.16 (1.9.17/20.9.17)

25. Otto Ritter von Dauberschmidt : Oberlt dR 1.7.16 (5.10.19 !!!/ after !!!) {postwar}

26. Joseph Ritter von Dauch : (KIA 1919) Lt dR 29.4.18 (3.6.20 !!!/ after !!!) {posthumous & postwar}

27. Adolf Ritter von Denk : Oberlt 9.8.14 (26.2.16/18.3.16)

28. Alfred Ritter von Denzel : Hptm dR 28.9.18 (15.10.20 !!!/ after !!!) {postwar}

29. Friedrich Ritter von Deßloch : Oberlt 28.8.14 (18.2.15/12.5.15)

29. Alfred Ritter von Dickhaut : (KIA 1.11.16) Oberlt dR 3.9.16 (17.5.17 !!!/ 17.7.17 !!!) {posthumous}

30. Martin Ritter von Dittelberger : Major 5.9.14 (22.7.16/17.8.16)

31. August Ritter von Döderlein : (died 1930) Major 9.5.15 (16.6.17/24.7.17)

32. Eduard Ritter von Doehla : (KIA 1918) Major 2.11.16 (28.10.19 !!!/ after !!!) {posthumous & postwar}

33. Nikolaus Burggraf und Graf zu Dohna-Schlodien* : (celebrity naval non-Bavarian recipient, d. 26.8.1956) 17.3.16 (NA/NA) * Pour le Merite

34. Robert Ritter von Doser : (KIA 1943) Lt dR 20.3.15 (4.11.15/4.12.15)

35. Eduard Ritter von Dostler : (KIA 1917) Oberlt 18.8.17 (3.11.18 !!!/ after !!!) {posthumous & partially processed}

36. Hans Ritter von Drechsler : Lt dR 14.7.16 (18.10.17/4.12.17)

37. Paul Ritter von Dreher : (KIA 1916) Lt dR 23.10.16 (4.2.20 !!!/ after !!!) {posthumous & postwar}

38. Anton Ritter von Dümlein : (KIA 1918) Major 10.5.15 (17.4.16/10.5.16)

39. Heinrich Ritter von Düsel : Hptm 28.9.18 (after 1921 !!!/ after !!!) {postwar}

40. Karl Ritter von Düwell : (killed in accident 1930) Major 20.8.14 (30.10.15/14.12.15)

41. August Ritter von Eberlein : Hptm dR 26.8.14 (21.12.16/12.2.17)

42. Georg Ritter von Ebert : Lt dR 9.4.17 (14.12.17/16.2.18)

43. Wolfgang Ritter von Eder : (KIA 13.6.16) Oberlt 1.6.16 (22.11.16 !!!/ 15.2.17 !!!) {posthumous}

44. Gustav Ritter von Eich : (KIA 1916) Lt dR 25.9.15 (27.3.18 !!!/ 15.6.18 !!!) {posthumous}

45. Wilhelm Ritter von Eitzenberger : Hptm 24.7.16 (21.2.19 !!!/ after !!!) {postwar}

46. Nikolaus Ritter von Endres* : (also received Commander) Genlt 8.5.17 (23.8.17/NA) * Pour le Merite

47. Franz Ritter von Epp* : Oberstlt 23.6.16 (17.11.17/25.2.18) * Pour le Merite

48. Konrad von Faber du Faur : (KIA 1918) Lt 20.8.16 (18.9.17/NA)

49. Karl Ritter von Fasbender* : (also received Commander and Grand Cross) Gen d Inf 5.10.14 (4.1.17/NA) * Pour le Merite

50. Max(imilian) Christoph Ritter von Feil : Lt dR 1.12.16 (19.9.19 !!!/ after !!!) {postwar}

51. Ludwig Ritter von Finsterlin : (also received Bavarian Silver Bravery Medal) Oberlt 10.9.17 (24.7.18/30.8.18)

52. Ludwig Ritter von Frisch : (KIA 21.3.16) Lt dR 29.10.15 (12.12.16/12.2.17) {posthumous}

53. Heinrich Ritter von Füchtbauer : Hptm 9.5.15 (10.3.17/14.4.17)

54. Otto Ritter von Füger : (KIA 1917) Oberlt 26.10.14 (20.3.15/7.5.15)

55. Wilhelm Ritter von Gademann : (KIA 1918) Hptm 1.9.17 (15.1.19 !!!/after !!!) {posthumous & postwar}

56. Eduard Ritter von Gartmayr : Genmaj aD 31.7.17 (30.4.20 !!!/ after!!!) {postwar}

57. Ludwig Freiherr von Gebsattel* : (also received Commander) Gen d Kav 25.9.14 (13.5.15/NA) * Pour le Merite

58. Heinrich Ritter von Geißler : (KIA 12.6.18) Lt dR 23.4.17 (25.6.18/13.9.18) {posthumous}

59. Kurt Ritter von Geitner : Hptm 27.9.15 (8.5.16/19.6.16)

60. Karl Ritter von Georg* : (naval recipient, Bavarian national) FregKapt zS 25.4.18 (?1918?/14.8.18) * Pour le Merite

61. Hermann Ritter von Giehrl : (died 1923) Major 9.10.18 (27.6.20 !!!/after) {postwar}

62. Artur von Glaß : Oberlt 9.10.18 (after 1921 !!!/after 1921 !!!) {postwar}

63. Emmerich Freiherr von Godin : Hptm 11.7.16 (17.5.17/NA)

64. Karl Ritter von Gonnermann : Rittm 1.5.15 (8.9.16/16.10.16)

65. Alfred Ritter von Göringer : Genlt 9.5.15 (17.2.16/14.3.16)

66. Franz Ritter von Goß : Lt 22.5.17 (after 1921 !!!/ after 1921 !!!) {postwar}

67. Richard Ritter von Goßmann : Hptm zD 19.2.15 (12.1.19 !!!/ after !!!) {postwar}

68. Wilhelm Ritter von Graf : Oberlt dR 6.12.16 (28.10.19 !!!/after !!!) {postwar}

69. Max(imilian) Edler von Grauvogl : Hptm 20.6.15 (28.10.19 !!!/NA) {postwar}

70. Robert Ritter von Greim* : (suicide 1945) Oberlt 23.10.18 (23.11.20 !!!/after) {postwar} *Pour le Merite

71. Eugen Ritter von Gries : (KIA 1916) Major 8.9.16 (17.12.19 !!!/after !!!) {posthumous & postwar}

72. Richard Ritter von Groh : Lt dR 26.10.17 (after 1921 !!!/after !!!) {postwar}

73. Otto Ritter von Gruber : Lt dR 28.8.14 (9.4.15/29.5.15)

74. Karl Ritter von Gruny : Lt dR 25.10.14 (22.7.16/28.8.16)

75. Josef Ritter von Gum : Hptm dR 28.9.15 (20.5.19 !!!/ after !!!) {postwar}

76. Friedrich Ritter von Haack* : Oberst 3.10.18 (27.6.20 !!!/after) {postwar} * Pour le Merite

77. Joseph Ritter von Haase : Hptm 25.4.18 (30.4.20 !!!/after !!!) {postwar}

78. Wilhelm von Haasy* : Oberst 4.10.17 (after 1921 !!!/NA) {postwar} * Pour le Merite

79. Johann Ritter von Häfele : Oberst 4.8.16 (15.1.19 !!!/ after !!!) {postwar}

80. Eugen Ritter von Halder : (KIA 1916) Major 5.5.15 (15.10.17/11.12.17) {posthumous}

81. Karl Ritter von Halt : Lt dR 27.10.17 (after 1921 !!!/ after !!!) {postwar}

82. Bruno Ritter von Hauenschild : Lt 2.9.18 (after 1921 !!!/after !!!) {postwar}

83. Hubert Ritter von Heigl : Lt 21.9.17 (after 1921 !!!/ after 1921 !!!) {postwar}

84. Otto Ritter von Heilingbrunner : 20.6.15 (12.1.17/3.10.17)

85. Siegfried Ritter von Heindl : Lt 14.7.16 (after 1921 !!!/ after !!!) {postwar}

86. Franz Ritter von Held : Genmaj 23.4.17 (5.10.19 !!!/ after !!!) {postwar}

87. Philipp von Hellingrath : (also received Commander) Genlt 27.4.15 (21.3.16/NA)

88. Hans Ritter von Hemmer* : (also received Commander) (died 1931) Oberstlt 9.4.15 (8.11.15/4.12.15) * Pour le Merite

89. Georg Ritter von Hengl : Lt dR 29.10.18 (after 1921 !!!/after !!!) {postwar}

90. Paul Ritter von Hermberg : Oberlt dR 11.4.18 (after 1921 !!!/after !!!) {postwar}

91. Eduard Ritter von Herold : Oberlt 24.10.17 (13.4.20 !!!/after !!!) {postwar}

92. Theodor Ritter von Herrmann : Major 1.11.16 (23.10.17/27.11.17)

93. Joachim Ritter von Hitzen : (KIA 1918) Lt dR 1.11.16 (25.1.20 !!!/ after !!!) {posthumous & postwar}

94. Jakob Ritter von Hitzler : (KIA 12.5.15) Hptm 2.11.14 (28.8.15/12.10.15) {posthumous}

95. Karl Ritter von Hock : Hptm dR 12.8.17 (3.6.20 !!!/after !!!) {postwar}

96. Franz Ritter von Hofer : Hptm 25.8.14 (5.11.14/3.12.14)

97. Konrad Ritter von Hofmann(-Großenbuch) : Lt 23.8.14 (20.12.14/15.3.15)

98. Maximilian Hoffmann* : (Prussian General Staff recipient, d. 3.7.1927) 3.8.17 (?/NA non Bavarian) Oberst iG * Pour le Merite w/OLs

99. Georg Ritter von Hohenberger :Oberlt dR 9.10.17 (after 1921 !!!/after !!!) {postwar}

100. Maximilian Ritter von Höhn : Genlt 20.9.14 (13.11.15/NA previously made ?Ritter von? in 1911)

101. Eduard Ritter von Hollidt : Hptm 26.9.18 (after 1921 !!!/after !!!) {postwar}

102. Kurt Ritter von Hopffer : (KIA 1916) Lt 2.10.14 (19.5.15/15.6.15)

103. Franz Ritter von Hörauf : Major 11.11.16 (24.3.19 !!!/after !!!) {postwar}

104. Otto Ritter von Hübner : Oberst 22.7.15 (21.3.16/30.3.16)

105. Hugo Ritter von Huller : Genlt 11.11.16 (12.7.17/22.8.17)

106. Friedrich Ritter von Ibach : Lt dR 16.4.17 (3.11.18/ after, but at least award approved before abdication) {partially processed}

107. Otto Ritter von Jäger : Genmaj 1.1.15 (18.2.15/8.4.15)

108. Paul Ritter von Jahreiß : (KIA 1919) Hptm 9.5.15 (22.7.16/28.8.16)

109. Rudolf Ritter von Kardel : (KIA 6.9.17) Lt dR 25.5.15 (18.10.17/15.12.17) {posthumous}

110. Lukas Ritter von Kaufmann : Hptm 26.8.14 (21.5.15/12.7.15)

111. Friedrich Ritter von Kieffer : Hptm 5.12.16 (9.1.19 !!!/after !!!) {postwar}

112. Christoph Ritter von Kiefhaber* : Genlt zD 22.10.17 (7.3.18/19.4.18) * Pour le Merite

113. Maximilian von Kirschbaum : Genmaj 25.9.14 (30.10.14/NA)

114. Eugen Ritter von Kleemann : Hptm dR 5.9.14 (22.7.16/8.8.16)

115. Karl Ritter von Kleemann : Oberlt dR 31.10.18 (after 1921 !!!/after !!!) {postwar}

116. Karl Ritter von Kleinhenz : Oberst 5.5.15 (29.12.15/26.1.16)

117. Paul Ritter von Kneußl* : (also received Commander) Genlt 3.6.15 (6.7.15/omitted in roll) * Pour le Merite

118. Paul Ritter von Köberle : Genmaj 31.7.17 (14.1.18/omitted in roll)

119. Hans Ritter von Kohlmüller : (KIA 1917) Hptm 27.9.15 (17.2.16/14.4.16)

120. Wilhelm Ritter von Kollmann : Oberlt 19.2.15 (12.1.17/10.2.17)

121. Hugo Ritter von Kraemer : (KIA 1917) Hptm 27.8.15 (29.5.16/23.6.16)

122. Konrad Krafft von Dellmensingen* : (also received Commander and Grand Cross) Genlt 20.8.14 (24.8.16/NA) * Pour le Merite w/OLs

123. Rudolf von Kramer : Hptm 21.10.14 (21.10.15/NA)

124. Friedrich Ritter von Kraußer : (murdered in Röhm Purge 1934) Hptm 20.9.17 (25.1.20 !!!/ after) {postwar}

125. Friedrich Freiherr Kreß von Kressenstein* : (also received Commander) Oberst 23.4.16 (1.9.17/NA) * Pour le Merite

126. Friedrich Ritter von Kriebel : Hptm 5.5.16 (after 1921 !!! /after) {postwar}

127. Friedrich Ritter von Kunzmann : (died 1919) Oberst 4.12.16 (27.9.17/4.12.17)

128. Otto Ritter von Lang : (KIA 12.6.16) Lt dR 28.1.16 (8.9.16/2.10.16) {posthumous}

129. Georg Ritter von Langbein : (KIA 1918) Hptm 14.4.18 (20.12.20 !!!/ after) {posthumous & postwar}

130. Christian Ritter von Langheinrich : Major 5.10.14 (1.7.16/4.8.16)

131. Titus Ritter von Lanz : Lt 20.8.18 (after 1921 !!!/ after !!!) {postwar}

132. Hermann Ritter von Lechner : Lt dR 5.10.18 (after 1921 !!!/ after !!!) {postwar}

133. Wilhelm Ritter von Leeb : Major 2.5.15 (29.5.16/21.6.16)

134. Hans Ritter von Lehnert : (KIA 1917) Hptm 3.12.16 (23.3.18 !!! /21.5.18 !!!) {posthumous}

135. Rudolf Ritter von Leitenstorfer : Lt 25.8.14 (10.3.17/10.4.17)

136. Hermann Ritter von Lenz : Oberstlt 9.4.17 (14.1.18/2.3.18) * Pour le Merite

137. Hans Ritter von Lex : Lt dR 31.7.16 (8.1.20 !!!/ after !!!) {postwar}

138. Walter Ritter von Lichtenberger : Lt 9.9.15 (2.2.16/26.2.16)

139. Valentin Ritter von Lidl : Lt dR 16.4.17 (19.2.20 !!!/ after !!!) {postwar}

140. Stuart Ritter von Linhardt : Lt 21.4.15 (28.8.15/15.10.15)

141. Anton Ritter von Löhr : (KIA 1918) Major 19.8.14 (1.3.17/14.4.17)

142. Fritz von Loßberg* (Prussian General Staff recipient, d. 14.5.1952) 25.5.17 (?/NA non Bavarian) Oberst iG *Pour le Merite w/OLs

143. Kurt Ritter von Martin : Hptm 9.4.17 (19.9.19 !!!/ after) {postwar}

144. Joseph Ritter von Maußner : (KIA 1918) Oberlt 8.8.18 (after 1921 !!!/ after !!!) {posthumous & postwar}

145. Wilhelm Ritter von Meng : Lt dR 20.7.16 (16.8.17/19.10.17)

146. Hans Ritter von Mieg : Oberst 23.8.16 (1.9.16/2.10.16)

147. Hilmar Ritter von Mittelberger : Hptm 23.4.17 (26.8.17/27.9.17)

148. Arnold Ritter von Möhl* : Genmaj 25.8.18 (30.4.20 !!!/omitted in roll) {postwar} * Pour le Merite

149. Ernst Ritter von Müller : (KIA 1917) Oberlt dR 18.3.16 (21.8.16/11.10.16)

150. Ludwig von Müller : (KIA 1944) Oberlt dR 29.8.18 (after 1921 !!!/ after !!!) {postwar}

151. Max Ritter von Müller* : (also received Gold Bravery Medal) (KIA 1918) Lt 7.11.17 (22.1.19 !!!/ after) {posthumous & postwar} * Pour le Merite

152. Maximilian Ritter von Müller : Lt 23.5.15 (21.3.16/7.4.16)

153. Max Ritter von Mulzer* : (killed in crash 26.9.16) Lt 8.7.16 (21.8.16/16.1.17) {partially processed} * Pour le Merite

154. Heinrich Ritter von Mußbach : (KIA 11.6.15) Lt 10.5.15 (8.11.15/18.12.15) {posthumous}

155. Philipp Ritter von Nastvogel : Lt dR 20.8.14 (22.11.16/20.1.17)

156. Karl August Nerger* : (celebrity naval non-Bavarian recipient) FregKapt zS 1.5.18 (?/NA non Bavarian) * Pour le Merite

157. Lothar Ritter von Nerz : Lt 18.8.16 (after 1921 !!!/ after !!!) {postwar}

158. Hans Ritter von Neubert : Lt dR 27.6.16 (7.7.17/1.8.17)

159. Oskar Ritter von Niedermayer : Hptm 5.9.16 (21.2.19 !!!/ after !!!) {postwar}

160. Walter Ritter von Nießen : (KIA 1917) Oberlt 9.5.15 (21.9.15/26.10.15)

161. Manfred Ritter von Ottnad : Lt dR 3.10.18 (20.12.20 !!!/ after !!!) {postwar}

162. Friedrich Freiherr von Pechmann : Genmaj 9.11.16 (25.10.17/NA)

163. G?nther Freiherr von Pechmann : Hptm dR 24.6.16 (21.11.17/NA)

164. Otto Freiherr von Pechmann : Major 4.11.16 (14.3.18/NA)

165. Rudolf Ritter von Perignon : Oberlt dR 14.3.15 (22.9.17/27.11.17)

166. Hugo Ritter von Pflügel : (died post-op 1935) Major 1.12.16 (after 1921 !!!/ after !!!) {postwar}

167. Daniel Ritter von Pitrof : Oberstlt 21.8.18 (after 1921 !!!/ after !!!) {postwar}

168. Max Ritter von Pohl : Lt 28.8.14 (9.4.15/12.15)

169. Christian Ritter von Popp : Lt dR 8.5.17 (18.5.18/6.7.18)

170. Otto Ritter von Pracher : (KIA 1917) Major 9.5.15 (30.10.15/4.12.15)

171. Karl Ritter von Prager* : Major 30.11.17 (6.1.18/25.2.18) *Pour le Merite

172. Hans Freiherr von Pranckh : (KIA 1945) Hptm 18.9.18 (23.11.20 !!!/NA) {postwar}

173. Sigmund Freiherr von Pranckh : (KIA 1914) Oberlt 31.10.14 (18.4.16/NA) {posthumous}

174. Kaspar Graf von Preysing-Lichtenegg-Moos : (KIA 1918) Rittm 14.4.18 (20.12.20 !!!/NA) {posthumous & postwar}

175. Ludwig Ritter von Radlmaier : Hptm 30.10.17 (10.1.20 !!!/ after !!!) {postwar}

176. Friedrich Ritter von Raffler : Oberlt 28.11.15 (12.9.17/27.9.17)

177. Otto Ritter von Rauchenberger* : Genlt 5.9.17 (18.5.18/omitted in roll) *Pour le Merite w/OLs

178. Ottomar Ritter von Reich: Oberlt dR 3.9.16 (29.11.17/12.2.18)

179. Josef Ritter von Reichert : Lt dR 28.12.16 (23.3.18/22.6.18)

180. Carl Ritter von Reif : Oberlt dR 4.5.15 (after 1921 !!!/ after !!!) {postwar}

181. Georg Ritter von Reiner : (DOW 23.10.20) Lt dR 24.8.16 (22.10.20 !!!/ after !!!) {at time of death & postwar}

182. Josef Ritter von Reiß : Major 26.9.18 (30.4.20 !!!/ after !!!) {postwar}

183. Wilhelm Ritter von Reitzenstein : Hptm 25.9.14 (4.6.15/6.7.15)

184. Ewald Ritter von Retze : Lt dR 30.8.18 (after 1921 !!!/ after !!!) {postwar}

185. Karl Ritter von Riedl : (died 1919) Genmaj 24.8.14 (7.8.15/8.9.15)

186. Otto Ritter von Rizzi : Rittm 19.8.16 (4.10.17/11.12.17)

187. Otto Ritter von Rompf : (KIA 1917) Lt dR 10.3.16 (21.8.16/25.9.16)

188. August Ritter von Roser : (KIA 1916) Major 24.8.14 (21.11.14/18.1.15)

189. Friedrich/Fritz Ritter von Röth* : (DOW 1918) Lt dR aD 25.1.18 (21.4.20 !!!/ after !!!) {posthumous & postwar} * Pour le Merite

190. Hans von Ruckteschell : (KIA 29.4.18) Lt dR 10.8.17 (3.11.18/NA) {posthumous & partially processed}

191. Ludwig Ritter von Rudolph : Lt dR 12.3.15 (25.1.17/10.5.17)

192. Adolf Ritter von Ruith : Major 9.5.15 (1.4.16/22.5.16)

193. Gustav Ritter von Sailer : Oberlt 27.9.18 (after 1921 !!!/ after !!!) {postwar}

194. Otto Ritter von Saur : Major 31.7.17 (10.1.20 !!!/ after !!!) {postwar}

195. Wilhelm Ritter von Schaaff : (KIA 1916) Lt dR 3.12.16 (30.9.17 !!!/26.11.17 !!!) {posthumous}

196. Joseph Ritter von Schäffer : (KIA 1918) Hptm 25.8.16 (1.9.17/14.10.17)

197. Kurt Ritter von Scherf : Oberlt aD 4.8.15 (8.5.16/28.6.16)

198. Baptist Ritter von Scheuring : Oberlt 14.7.16 (18.1.18/2.3.18)

199. Eduard Ritter von Schleich* : Hptm dR 14.6.18 (6.7.18/5.8.18) * Pour le Merite

200. Joseph Ritter von Schmauß : Genmaj zD 9.5.15 (28.8.15/28.9.15)

201. Josef Ritter von Schmid : Lt 11.7.16 (23.5.17/18.6.17)

202. Hans/Johannes Ritter von Schmidt : Oberlt dR 1.10.16 (8.1.20 !!!/after !!!) {postwar}

203. Otto Ritter von Schmidt : (died 1929) Gen d Kav zD 20.7.15 (28.1.16/NA already Ritter von since 1904)

204. Johann Ritter von Schmidtler* : (died 1932) Major 21.10.18 (after 1921 !!!/ after !!!) {postwar} * Pour le Merite

205. Christian Ritter von Schneider : (KIA 1916) Hptm 20.3.16 (1.10.17 !!!/7.11.17 !!!) {posthumous}

206. Oskar Ritter von Schneider : Lt dR 24.10.17 (after 1921 !!!/after !!!) {postwar}

207. Eugen Ritter von Schobert : (KIA 1941) Hptm 23.3.18 (after 1921 !!!/ after !!!) {postwar}

208. Albert Ritter von Schoch : Gen d Inf 8.2.16 (13.8.18/NA already Ritter von 1909)

209. Karl Ritter von Schoch : Genmaj 26.8.14 (18.9.14/1.2.15)

210. Maximilian Ritter von Schönborn : Lt dR 25.9.15 (4.2.20 !!!/ after !!!) {postwar}

211. Hermann Ritter von Schöpf : Oberlt 27.9.14 (27.3.15/25.5.15)

212. Wilhelm Ritter von Schramm : (LAST MMJO KNIGHT-died 1983) Lt 2.9.17 (21.12.19 !!!/after !!!) {postwar}

213. Theodor Ritter von Schredinger : (KIA 1918) Oberlt 24.10.16 (after 1921 !!!/ after !!!) {posthumous & postwar}

214. Wilhelm Ritter von Schrenk : Hptm 6.11.14 (8.6.15/10.8.15)

215. Otto Ritter von Schrön : Rittm dR aD 1.5.15 (17.2.17/3.3.17)

216. Ernst Ritter von Schrott : Genlt 26.9.14 (29.3.15/18.5.15)

217. Werner Ritter von Seipel : (KIA 17.7.15) Lt dR 2.6.15 (9.12.15/4.2.16) {posthumous}

218. Hans/Johann Ritter von Seißer : Major 26.9.14 (27.5.15/6.7.15)

219. Hermann Ritter von Speck : (KIA 1940) Oberlt 7.9.14 (24.7.15/10.8.15)

220. Hans Freiherr von Speidel : (KIA 1916) Oberlt 15.11.15 (16.3.17/NA) {posthumous}

221. Alfred Spruner von Mertz : (KIA 1915) Oberlt 9.10.14 (26.2.16 !!!/NA) {posthumous}

222. Friedrich Ritter von Städtler : Hptm 3.9.17 (after 1921 !!!/ after !!!) {postwar}

223. Anton Ritter von Staubwasser : Oberstlt 29.9.15 (6.1.16/28.1.16)

224. Hermann Freiherr von Stein* : (also received Commander) (died 1928) Genlt 23.7.16 ((27.2.17/NA) * Pour le Merite

225. Ernst Ritter von Steindorff : Lt dL 10.4.17 (6.10.17/27.11.17)

226. Josef Ritter von Steiner : (also received Commander) (KIA 1918) Lt dR 25.6.16 (4.2.20 !!!/ after !!!) {posthumous & postwar}

227. Otto von Stetten* : (also received Commander) Genlt 11.10.14 (7.8.16/NA) * Pour le Merite

228. Wolfgang Ritter von Strobel : Oberlt 26.12.16 (23.3.18/28.5.18)

229. Joseph von Tannstein (genannt Fleischmann) : (died 1928) Oberstlt 6.10.14 (7.8.16/NA)

230. Gottfried Graf von Tattenbach : Major 9.10.14 (27.2.17/NA)

231. Wilhelm Ritter von Thoma : Lt 5.7.16 (22.11.16/14.4.17)

232. Anton Freiherr von Tubeuf : Major 1.6.18 (21.12.19 !!!/NA) {postwar}

233. Friedrich Ritter von Tumma : Major 25.8.16 (22.6.17/6.8.17)

234. Adolf Ritter von Tutschek* : (KIA 1918) Oberlt 10.8.15 (25.1.16/16.3.16) * Pour le Merite

235. Ludwig Ritter von Tutschek* : (also received Commander) Oberst 21.9.14 (11.12.14/1.2.15) * Pour le Merite

236. Karl Ritter von Weber : (KIA 1941) Oberlt 9.10.17 (27.6.18/6.8.18)

237. Otto Weddigen* (celebrity naval non Bavarian recipient) (KIA 25.3.1915) KaptLt zS 11.10.14 (?/NA non Bavarian) * Pour le Merite

238. Friedrich von Weech : Major 14.3.15 (21.9.15/NA)

239. Karl Ritter von Wenninger* : (KIA 8.9.17) Genlt 23.4.17 (23.8.17/NA already Ritter von 1913) * Pour le Merite

240. Anton Ritter von Werr : (KIA 21.7.16) Lt dR 19.4.15 (9.12.15/24.1.16)

241. Ludwig Wilhelm Freiherr von Willisen* (Prussian General Staff recipient, d. 4.1.1933) Major iG 14.11.17 (?/NA non Bavarian) * Pour le Merite

242. Ludwig Ritter von Wilm : Major 10.10.14 (11.12.14/1.4.15)

243. Franz Ritter von Wimmer : Lt dR 28.5.18 (19.5.20 !!!/ after !!!) {postwar}

244. Balduin von Winckler : (KIA 1917) Hptm 28.8.14 (1.8.15/NA)

245. Karl F?rst von Wrede : Rittm zD 3.10.14 (8.9.16/NA)

246. Karl Ritter von Wucher : Major 9.5.15 (11.9.15/15.10.15)

247. Ludwig Ritter von Würffel : Lt 10.10.14 (12.1.17/8.2.17)

248. Herbert Ritter von Wurmb : Hptm 1.7.16 (25.9.17/28.12.17)

249. Oskar Ritter von Xylander* : Gen d Inf 10.8.14 (14.11.16/NA this title was a previous hereditary one) *Pour le Merite

250. Rudolf Ritter von Xylander : Major 12.10.14 (29.7.15/NA this title was a previous hereditary one)

251. Hans Ritter von Zahler : Lt dR 2.10.18 (after 1921 !!!/ after !!!) {postwar}

252. Max Ritter von Zottmann : Hptm 9.4.17 (12.3.19 !!!/ after !!!) {postwar}

BEING IN TOTAL 246 MMJO-Knights? Crosses awarded to Bavarians and 6 MMJO Knights? Crosses awarded to non-Bavarians for WW1.

THERE WERE NO OTHER RECIPIENTS IN THE KNIGHTS GRADE FOR WORLD WAR ONE. THIS LIST IS COMPLETE BY NAMES.

A total of 37 MMJO-Knights received Pour le Merites: 4 of those with oakleaves. This too is a complete list, and recipients are designated with an asterisk and have the PLM listed. Holders of Bavarian Bravery Medals are also listed: that MAY not be complete, but are noted. Complete death dates for those killed/died are to show how many of THOSE were posthumous bestowals if MMJO was awarded in same year as death. 19 posthumous awards were made during the war, and an additional 20 posthumous awards (total of 39) were made after the war. 89 of the 246 awards to Bavarians were made AFTER the war under authority which can only be described as dubious at best (bestowal of titles of nobility by a "private corporation"-- the body of MMJO recipients-- without the legal power to do so under the Republic.

Edited by Dave Danner
    fix diacritic

Gentlemen,

In an effort to fill in a few gaps. I would like to offer the following information.

Otto von Below?s Grand Cross award would date 4 Nov. 1917. He received Grand Cross badge #38, Grand Cross neck badge #38 and Grand Cross star #33/20. Paul von Stolzmann was awaarded Commander?s badge #1 in July of 1915. This badge had previously been awarded to, among others,von Hartmann (1870)) and von Fransecky (1875). Karl Gonnermann received Knight?s badge #118, a badge originally awarded to a French Colonel R?n? in 1808.

Regards,

Wild Card

Dave,

Freiherr von Willisen was not a recipient of the WMVO. According to Hanns M?ller in his Geschichte der Ritter des Ordens Pour le m?rite, Baron Willisen was indeed awarded the PLM for his part in 12th Isonzo as the 1. Generalstabsoffizier of the 14th Army. He had been the the 1. Generalstabsoffizier of the Bavarian Alpenkorps previously and this may well have been the reason for his additional award of the MMJO.

Regards

Glenn

Edited by Glenn J

Dave,

Freiherr von Willisen was not a recipient of the WMVO. According to Hanns M?ller in his Geschichte der Ritter des Ordens Pour le m?rite, Baron Willisen was indeed awarded the PLM for his part in 12th Isonzo as the 1. Generalstabsoffizier of the 14th Army. He had been the the 1. Generalstabsoffizier of the Bavarian Alpenkorps previously and this may well have been the reason for his additional award of the MMJO.

Regards

Glenn

Thanks, Glenn. Oh well. So we're still stuck at Nerger (5), Graf Dohna (5), Hoffmann (3), Frhr v. Richthofen (3) and Weddigen (3)?

Hi everybody,

I have worked several years ago about this list. It isn't complete but I think It will a good start.

Christophe

Date d'attribution Nom du récipiendaire Grade Date de validation Date d'anoblissement

18 septembre 1914 SCHOCH Karl Generalmajor 26 août 1914 1 février 1915

11 octobre 1914 WEDDINGEN Otto Kapitänleutnant 11 octobre 1914

31 octobre 1914 KIRSCHBAUM Maximilian Generalmajor 25 septembre 1914

5 novembre 1914 HOFER Franz Hauptmann 25 août 1914 3 décembre 1914

21 novembre 1914 ROSER August Major 24 août 1914 18 janvier 1915

11 décembre 1914 BRAUN Maximilian Oberstleutnant 20 août 1914 14 janvier 1915

11 décembre 1914 TUTSCHEK Ludwig Oberst 21 septembre 1914 1 février 1915

11 décembre 1914 WILM Ludwig Major 10 octobre 1914 1 avril 1915

18 février 1915 DESSLOCH Friedrich Oberleutnant 28 août 1914 12 mai 1915

20 mars 1915 FÜGER Otto Oberstleutnant 26 octobre 1914

27 mars 1915 SCHÖPF Hermann Oberleutnant 27 septembre 1914 25 mai 1915

29 mars 1915 SCHROTT Ernst Generalleutnant 26 septembre 1914 18 mai 1915

29 mars 1915 CLAUSS Eugen Generalmajor 30 octobre 1914 7 mai 1915

9 avril 1915 GRUBER Otto Leutnant d. R. 28 août 1914 29 mai 1915

9 avril 1915 POHL Max Leutnant 28 août 1914 12 mai 1915

13 mai 1915 GESBATTEL Ludwig Frhr von General der K. 25 septembre 1914

19 mai 1915 HOPFFER Kurt Leutnant 2 octobre 1914 15 juin 1915

21 mai 1915 BETZEL Paul Major 20 août 1914 22 juin 1915

21 mai 1915 KAUFMANN Lukas Hauptmann 26 août 1914 12 juillet 1915

27 mai 1915 SEISSER Johann Major 26 septembre 1914 6 juillet 1915

4 juin 1915 REITZENSTEIN Wilhelm Hauptmann 25 septembre 1914 6 juillet 1915

8 juin 1915 SCHRENK Wilhelm Hauptmann 6 novembre 1914 10 août 1915

6 juillet 1915 KNEUSSL Paul Generalleutnant 3 juin 1915

24 juillet 1915 SPECK Hermann Oberleutnant 7 septembre 1914 10 août 1915

29 juillet 1915 XYLANDER Rudolf Major 12 octobre 1914

1 août 1915 WINCKLER Balduin von Hauptmann 28 août 1914

7 août 1915 RIEDL Karl Generalmajor 24 août 1914 8 septembre 1915

28 août 1915 HITZLER Jakob Hauptmann 4 novembre 1914 12 octobre 1915

28 août 1915 LINHARDT Stuart Leutnant 21 avril 1915 15 octobre 1915

28 août 1915 SCHMAUSS Joseph Generalmajor z. D. 9 mai 1915 28 septembre 1915

7 septembre 1915 ADE August Major 27 août 1914 15 octobre 1915

11 septembre 1915 WUCHER Karl Major 9 mai 1915 15 octobre 1915

21 septembre 1915 WEECH Friedrich von Major 14 mars 1915

21 septembre 1915 BOTHMER Felix Graf von General der I. 9 avril 1915

21 septembre 1915 NIESSEN Walter Oberst 9 mai 1915 26 octobre 1915

21 octobre 1915 KRAMER Rudolf von Hauptmann 21 octobre 1914

21 octobre 1915 BRUNNER Ernst Major 9 mai 1915 17 novembre 1915

30 octobre 1915 DÜWEL Karl Major 20 août 1914 14 décembre 1915

30 octobre 1915 PRACHER Otto Major 9 mai 1915 4 décembre 1915

4 novembre 1915 DOSER Robert Leutnant d. R. 20 mars 1915 4 décembre 1915

8 novembre 1915 HEMMER Hans Oberstleutnant 9 avril 1915 4 décembre 1915

8 novembre 1915 MUSSBACH Cleinich Leutnant 10 mai 1915 18 décembre 1915

13 novembre 1915 HÖHN Maximilian Generalleutnant 20 septembre 1914

9 décembre 1915 WERR Anton Leutnant d. R. 19 avril 1915 24 janvier 1916

9 décembre 1915 SEIPEL Werner Leutnant d. R. 2 juin 1915

16 décembre 1915 BRAUN Julius Oberstleutnant 13 novembre 1914 20 décembre 1917

29 décembre 1915 KLEINHEINZ Karl Oberst 5 mai 1915 26 janvier 1916

6 janvier 1916 STAUBWASSER Anton Oberstleutnant 29 septembre 1915 28 janvier 1916

25 janvier 1916 TUTSCHEK Adolf Oberleutnant 10 août 1915 16 mars 1916

28 janvier 1916 SCHMIDT Otto General der K. 20 juillet 1915

2 février 1916 LICHTENBERGER Walter Leutnant 9 septembre 1915 26 février 1916

17 février 1916 GÖRINGER Alfred Generalleutnant 9 mai 1915 14 mars 1916

17 février 1916 KOHLMÜLLER Hans Hauptmann 27 septembre 1915 14 avril 1916

26 février 1916 DENK Adolf Oberleutnant 9 août 1914 18 mars 1916

26 février 1916 SPRUNER von MERTZ Alfred Oberleutnant 9 octobre 1914

17 mars 1916 DOHNA SCHLODIEN Korvettenkapitän 17 mars 1916

Nikolas Burggraf u. Graf zu

21 mars 1916 HELLINGRATH Philipp von Generalleutnant 27 avril 1915

21 mars 1916 MÜLLER Maximilian Leutnant 23 mai 1915 7 avril 1916

21 mars 1916 HÜBNER Otto Oberst 22 juillet 1915 30 mars 1916

1 avril 1916 RUITH Adolf Major 9 mai 1915 22 mai 1916

17 avril 1916 DÜMLEIN Anton Major 10 mai 1915 10 mai 1916

18 avril 1916 PRANCKH Sigmund Fhrh von Oberleutnant 31 octobre 1914 25 mai 1915

8 mai 1916 SCHERF Kurt Oberstleutnant a. D. 4 août 1915 28 juin 1916

8 mai 1916 GEITNER Kurt Hauptmann 27 septembre 1915 19 juin 1916

29 mai 1916 LEEB Wilhelm Major 2 mai 1915 21 juin 1916

29 mai 1916 KRAEMER Hugo Hauptmann 27 août 1915 23 juin 1916

1 juillet 1916 LANGHEINRICH Christian Major 5 octobre 1914 4 août 1916

22 juillet 1916 DITTELBERGER Martin Major 5 septembre 1914 17 août 1916

22 juillet 1916 KLEEMANN Eugen Hauptmann d. R. 5 septembre 1914 8 août 1916

22 juillet 1916 GRUNY Karl Leutnant d. R. 15 octobre 1914 28 août 1916

22 juillet 1916 CRAILSHEIM Eduarf Frhr von Generalmajor 8 mai 1915

22 juillet 1916 JAHREISS Paul Hauptmann 9 mai 1915 28 août 1916

7 août 1916 TANNSTEIN gen, FLEISCHMANN Joseph von Oberstleutnant 6 octobre 1914

7 août 1916 STETTEN Otto von Generalleutnant 11 octobre 1914

14 août 1916 BAYERN Prinz Franz von Generalmajor 25 mai 1916

21 août 1916 ROMPF Otto Leutnant d. R. 10 mars 1916 25 septembre 1916

21 août 1916 MÜLLER Ernst Oberleutnant d. R. 18 mars 1916 11 octobre 1916

24 août 1916 KRAFFT von DELLMENSINGEN Generalleutnant 20 août 1914

Konrad

1 septembre 1916 MIEG Hans Oberst 23 juin 1916 2 octobre 1916

6 septembre 1916 MULZER Max Leutnant 8 juillet 1916 16 janvier 1917

8 septembre 1916 WREDE Karl Fürst von Rittmeister 3 octobre 1914

8 septembre 1916 GONNERMANN Karl Rittmeister 1 mai 1915 16 octobre 1916

8 septembre 1916 LANG Otto Leutnant d. R. 28 janvier 1916 2 octobre 1916

14 novembre 1916 XYLANDER Oskar General der I. 10 août 1914

22 novembre 1916 NASTVOGEL Philipp Leutnant d. R. 20 août 1914 20 janvier 1917

22 novembre 1916 EDER Wolfgang Oberleutnant 1 juin 1916 15 décembre 1917

22 novembre 1916 THOMA Wilhelm Leutnant 5 juillet 1916 14 avril 1917

12 décembre 1916 FRISCH Ludwig Leutnant d. R. 29 octobre 1915 12 février 1917

21 décembre 1916 EBERLEIN August Hauptmann d. R. 26 août 1914 12 février 1917

4 janvier 1917 FASBENDER Karl General der I. 5 octobre 1914

12 janvier 1917 WÜRFFEL Ludwig Leutnant 10 octobre 1914 8 février 1917

12 janvier 1917 KOLLMANN Wilhelm Oberleutnant 19 février 1915 10 février 1917

12 janvier 1917 HEILINGBRUNNER Otto Oberstleutnant 20 juin 1915 3 octobre 1917

25 janvier 1917 RUDOLPH Ludwig Leutnant d. R. 12 mars 1915 10 mai 1917

17 février 1917 SCHRÖN Otto Rittmeister d. R. a. D. 1 mai 1915 3 mars 1917

27 février 1917 TATTENBACH Gottfried Graf von Major 9 octobre 1914

27 février 1917 STEIN Hermann Frhr von Generalleutnant 23 juillet 1916

1 mars 1917 LÖHR Anton Major 19 août 1914 14 avril 1917

6 mars 1917 BAYERN Prinz Heinrich von Major 25 mai 1916

10 mars 1917 LEITENSTORFER Rudolf Leutnant 25 août 1914 10 avril 1917

10 mars 1917 FÜCHTBAUER Heinrich Hauptmann 9 mai 1915 14 avril 1917

16 mars 1917 SPEIDEL Hans Frhr von Oberleutnant 15 novembre 1915

17 mai 1917 GODIN Emerich Frhr von Hauptmann 11 juillet 1916

17 mai 1917 DICKHAUPT Alfred Oberleutnant d. R. 3 septembre 1916 17 juillet 1917

23 mai 1917 SCHMID Joseph Leutnant 11 juillet 1916 18 juin 1917

25 mai 1917 LOSSBERG Fritz von Oberst 25 mai 1917

16 juin 1917 DÖBERLEIN August Major 9 mai 1915 24 juillet 1917

22 juin 1917 TUMMA Friedrich Major 25 août 1916 6 août 1917

7 juillet 1917 NEUBERT Hans Leutnant d. R. 27 juin 1916 1 août 1917

12 juillet 1917 HULLER Hugo Generalleutnant 11 novembre 1916 22 août 1917

3 aoû1917 HOFFMANN Maximilian Oberst 3 août 1917

7 août 1917 ANDRIAN-WERBURG Karl Frhr von H. 23 juin 1916

16 août 1917 MENG Wilhelm Leutnant d. R. 20 juillet 1916 19 octobre 1917

23 août 1917 WENNINGER Karl Generalleutnant 23 avril 1917

23 août 1917 ENDRES Nikolaus Generalleutnant 8 mai 1917

26 août 1917 MITTELBERGER Hilmar Hauptmann 23 avril 1917 27 septembre 1917

1 septembre 1917 KRESS von KRESSENSTEIN Oberst 23 avril 1916

Friedrich Freiherr von

1 septembre 1917 SCHÄFFER Joseph Hauptmann 25 août 1916 14 octobre 1917

1 septembre 1917 DANNER Jakob Oberstleutnant 1 décembre 1916 20 septembre 1917

12 septembre 1917 RAFFLER Friedrich Oberleutnant 28 novembre 1915 27 septembre 1917

18 septembre 1917 FABER du FAUR Konrad von Leutnant 20 août 1916

22 septembre 1917 PERIGON Rudolf Oberleutnant d. R. 14 mars 1915 27 novembre 1917

25 septembre 1917 BRAM Alfons Oberstleutnant 1 juillet 1916 27 novembre 1917

25 septembre 1917 WURMB Herbert Hauptmann 1 juillet 1916 28 décembre 1917

27 septembre 1917 KUNZMANN Friedrich Oberst 4 décembre 1916 4 décembre 1917

30 septembre 1917 SCHAAFF Wilhelm Leutnant d. R. 3 décembre 1916 26 novembre 1917

1 octobre 1917 ABT Karl Leutnant d. R. 13 novembre 1914 20 décembre 1917

1 octobre 1917 SCHNEIDER Christian Hauptmann 20 mars 1916 7 novembre 1917

4 octobre 1917 RIZZI Otto Rittmeister 19 août 1916 11 décembre 1917 11 décembre 1917

5 octobre 1917 DAUBERSCHMIDT Otto Oberleutnant d. R. 1 juillet 1916 1919

6 octobre 1917 STEINDORFF Ernst Leutnant d. L. 10 avril 1917 27 novembre 1917

15 octobre 1917 HALDER Eugen Major 5 mai 1915 11 décembre 1917

18 octobre 1917 JÄGER Otto Generalmajor 1 janvier 1915 24 janvier 1916

18 octobre 1917 KARDEL Rudolf Oberst 25 mai 1915 15 décembre 1917

18 octobre 1917 DRESCHLER Hans Leutnant d. R. 14 juillet 1916 4 décembre 1917

23 octobre 1917 HERMANN Theodor Leutnant d. R. 1 novembre 1916 21 novembre 1917

25 octobre 1917 PECHMANN Friedrich Frhr von Generalmajor 9 novembre 1916

14 novembre 1917 WILLISEN Wilhelm Frhr von Major 14 novembre 1917

17 novembre 1917 EPP Franz Oberstleutnant 23 juin 1916 25 février 1918

21 novembre 1917 PECHMANN Günter Frhr von H. d. R. 24 juin 1916

29 novembre 1917 REICH Ottmar Oberstleutnant 3 septembre 1916 12 février 1918

5 décembre 1917 BECKH Albert Leutnant 20 juin 1915 12 février 1918

14 décembre 1917 EBERT Georg Leutnant d. R. 9 avril 1917 16 février 1918

6 janvier 1918 PRAGER Karl Major 30 novembre 1917 25 février 1918

8 janvier 1918 SCHEURING Baptist Oberleutant 14 juillet 1916 2 mars 1918

14 janvier 1918 LENZ Hermann Oberstleutnant 9 avril 1917 2 mars 1918

14 janvier 1918 KÖBERLE Paul Generalmajor 31 juillet 1917

7 mars 1918 KIEFHABER Christoph Generalleutnant z. D. 22 octobre 1917 19 avril 1918

14 mars 1918 PECHMANN Otto Frhr von Major 4 novembre 1916

23 mars 1918 LEHNERT Hans Hauptmann 3 décembre 1916 21 mai 1918

23 mars 1918 STROBEL Wolfgang Oberleutnant d. R. 26 décembre 1916 28 mai 1918

23 mars 1918 REICHERT Joseph Leutnant d. R. 28 décembre 1916 22 juin 1918

27 mars 1918 EICH Gustav Leutnant d. R. 25 septembre 1915 15 juin 1918

25 avril 1918 GEORG Karl Fregattenkapitän 25 avril 1918 14 août 1918

1 mai 1918 NERGER Karl August Fregattenkapitän 1 mai 1918

18 mai 1918 POPP Christian Leutnant d. R. 8 mai 1917 6 juillet 1918

18 mai 1918 RAUCHENBERGER Otto Generalleutnant 5 septembre 1917

25 juin 1918 GEISSLER Heinrich Leutnant d. R. 23 avril 1917 13 septembre 1918

27 juin 1918 WEBER Karl Oberleutnant 9 octobre 1917 6 août 1918

6 juillet 1918 SCHLEICH Eduard Hauptmann d. R. 14 juin 1918

24 juillet 1918 FINSTERLIN Ludwig Oberleutnant 10 septembre 1917 30 août 1918

13 août 1918 SCHOCH Albert General der I. 8 février 1916

8 septembre 1918 BOTHMER Robert Graf von Major 6 janvier 1917

3 novembre 1918 IBACH Friedrich Leutnant d. R. 16 avril 1917

3 novembre 1918 RUCKTESCHELL Hans Leutnant d. R. 10 août 1917

3 novembre 1918 DOSTLER Eduard Oberleutnant 18 août 1917

9 janvier 1919 KIEFFER Friedrich Hauptmann 5 décembre 1916

12 janvier 1919 GOSSMANN Richard Hauptmann z. D. 19 février 1915 15 décembre 1917

15 janvier 1919 HÄFELE Johann Oberst 4 août 1916

15 janvier 1919 GADEMANN Wilhelm Hauptmann 1 septembre 1917

22 janvier 1919 MÜLLER Max Leutnant 7 novembre 1917

17 février 1919 BOLZ Anton Major 1 décembre 1917

21 février 1919 EITLENBERGER Wilhelm Hauptmann 24 juillet 1916

21 février 1919 NIEDERMAYER Oskar Hauptmann 5 septembre 1916

12 mars 1919 ZOTTMANN Maximilian Hauptmann 9 avril 1917

24 mars 1919 HÖRAUF Franz Major 11 novembre 1916

1 avril 1919 BOTHMER Ludwig Graf von Oberleutnant 6 janvier 1917

20 mai 1919 GUM Joseph Hauptmann d. R. 28 septembre 1915

20 mai 1919 ADAM Hans Leutnant d. L. 28 juillet 1917

19 septembre 1919 FEIL Maximilian Leutnant d. R. 1 décembre 1916

19 septembre 1919 MARTIN Kurt Hauptmann 9 avril 1917

5 octobre 1919 HELD Franz Generalmajor 23 avril 1917

28 octobre 1919 GRAUVOGL Maximilian Edler von H. 20 juin 1915

28 octobre 1919 DÖHLA Eduard Major 2 novembre 1916

28 octobre 1919 GRAF Wilhelm Oberleutnant d. R. 6 décembre 1916

5 novembre 1919 BENZ Reinhold Leutnant 28 septembre 1915

17 décembre 1919 GRIES Eugen Major 8 septembre 1916

21 décembre 1919 SCHRAMM Wilhelm Leutnant 2 septembre 1917

21 décembre 1919 TUBEUF Anton Frhr von Major 1 juin 1918

8 janvier 1920 LEX Hans Leutnant d. R. 31 juillet 1916

8 janvier 1920 SCHMIDT Johannes Oberleutnant d. R. 1 octobre 1916

10 janvier 1920 SAUR Otto Major 31 juillet 1917

10 janvier 1920 RADLMAIER Ludwig Hauptmann 30 novembre 1917

25 janvier 1920 HITZEN Joachim Leutnant d. R. 1 novembre 1916

25 janvier 1920 KRAUSSER Friedrich Hauptmann 20 septembre 1917

4 février 1920 SCHONBORN Maximilian Leutnant d. R. 25 septembre 1915 4 février 1920

4 février 1920 STEINER Joseph Leutnant d.R. 25 juin 1916

4 février 1920 DREHER Paul Leutnant d. R. 23 octobre 1916

4 février 1920 BENGL Joseph Leutnant 2 novembre 1918

19 février 1920 LIDL Valentin Leutnant d. R. 16 avril 1917

13 avril 1920 HEROLD Eduard Oberstleutnant 24 octobre 1917

21 avril 1920 RÖTH Friedrich Leutnant d. R. a. D. 25 janvier 1918

30 avril 1920 GARTMAYR Eduard Generalmajor a. D. 31 juillet 1917

30 avril 1920 HAASE Joseph Hauptmann 25 avril 1918

30 avril 1920 MÖHL Arnold Generalmajor 25 août 1918

30 avril 1920 REISS Joseph Major 26 septembre 1918

19 mai 1920 WIMMER Franz Leutnant d. R. 28 mai 1918

3 juin 1920 HOCK Karl Hauptmann d. R. 12 août 1917