News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

What to tell ?

This is a very nice example of a private purchase prussian officers sword.

To be precies: It is an Infanterie-Offiziersdegen n/M or IOD n/M

n/M means New Modell - collectors nowadays would call it a IOD modell 89

This particular one has seen service with an Guards Officer or Senior NCO due to the star on the handle. Line units would have used a royal cypher.

It saw service between 1889 and before 1911 - when the sheet lost the lower ring.

An really nice example with lot of original gilding but the broken off tip could make one cry...

Regards

jaeger7-de

Hi Eric,

A beautiful sword, damaged tip notwithstanding. :jumping:

It this a true damascus blade or has it been manufactured to "look" like damascus?

I've had swords in the past that looked correct but were in fact imitating the real deal.

Thanks for posting this great sword.

:cheers: cheers :cheers:

Brian

Gents,

thank you very much for your insights!

i do not claim to have any knowledge about this type of item (notice i posted it in the entirely wrong subforum; duh).

my focus is generally limited to medals and badges.

i assumed that the tip was made that way--i did not realize that the tip was broken and then reworked.

also: i don't know how to tell the difference between a "true" damascus blade and a simulated one.

the only thing i can do right now is take a few further pics and post them for your comments.

i will do this soon and then edit them into this post. again, thank you for viewing and typing! :cheers:

Hi Eric,

sorry, the tip has not been made in this way - this is definetly a rework.

And I am nearly sure that this is real damascus steel. The words "Damaststahl" and "Eisenhauer" are perfect proofmarks for this. No imperial blade with a damascus-etching would carry these proofmarks.

jaeger7-de

Hi Eric,

The more I see this sword the more I like it.

I agree with the other members that the tip has been reworked. I've seen this on other swords, some I've owned. I had a British bandsmans sword once with the tip reworked. Mine like yours, was expertly done and not a backyard mechanic grinder job.

Thanks for the close up of the blade. Very nice indeed.

Cheers :cheers:

Brian