News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Austrian uniforms

ccj

17 hours ago, Markgraf said:

Nice set but some details are wrong.

The tunic and the cavalry-style visorless field cap is for the Reitenden Tiroler Landesschützen. (Tyrolean Mounted Rifles).

They wore black riding breeches, and riding boots plus fur lined overcoat.   

Rare uniform pieces!

Yes, the trousers are not part of the grouping.  You are right, he served in the I Esk. of the Reit. Tirol Kaiserschutzen.  The title was changed due to exceptional bravery in action.  The man who wore this survived the war and returned home to his farm. 

Hello , I agree with Markgraf , the uniform is a cavalry one , Reitende Tiroler landesschutzen . the tirolean riders formed a division not a regiment , the AH division was a half regiment of cavalry or artillery . in Germany an abteilung . the AH full division was named Truppendivision . the Tirolean riders numbered one staff and two field squadrons just before the ww1 they added a third . they belonged to the KK Landwehr . Existed another division of reitende landeschutzen a dalmatian one with two squadrons .Ethnically the Tirolean riders were 58 % german 38 % welshtiroler (italians) and 4% others . the Dalmatian riders were 82 % serbocroatians and 18 % others . both units wore the same uniform , 

18 hours ago, Bayern said:

Hello , I agree with Markgraf , the uniform is a cavalry one , Reitende Tiroler landesschutzen . the tirolean riders formed a division not a regiment , the AH division was a half regiment of cavalry or artillery . in Germany an abteilung . the AH full division was named Truppendivision . the Tirolean riders numbered one staff and two field squadrons just before the ww1 they added a third . they belonged to the KK Landwehr . Existed another division of reitende landeschutzen a dalmatian one with two squadrons .Ethnically the Tirolean riders were 58 % german 38 % welshtiroler (italians) and 4% others . the Dalmatian riders were 82 % serbocroatians and 18 % others . both units wore the same uniform , 

I also agree with Mark Graf, he was in fact in the Reitende Tiroler Landesschutzen which was re-titled the Reitende Tiroler Kaiserschutzen later in the war.

Edited by A. Gustaf

Wouldn't these troops change over to Pike Gray trousers and a visorless cap for campaign? The black trousers and the odd looking cap would have been left for parade 

ccj : The riding trousers were not black ; the colour was a dark bluish grey (graublau ) and yes , in the field they wears officers and men a cavalry feldmutze of the same colour as the trousers . Moritz Ruhl plate about AH cavalry shows clearly the uniform . The odd looking cap was in fact a tyrolean hat .and was used only as parade item . One british author stated that the colour of the trousers was the same of the first AH feldgrau A dark grey with only the faintest shade of green . I dont remember his name but he writed an article about the KK landwehr for Tradition magazine . with many B W plates . 

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a new addition, an Austrian KuK Kriegsmarine uniform from a man who served on the SMS Ezrh. Franz Ferdinand, the cap from and unknown sailor of the SMS Babenberg,

k8.jpg

Edited by A. Gustaf
    re align photo

• 4 months later...

Hmm, I don't know what those sleeve chevrons are for. But those stars look like the enlisted bone/celluloid stars. I don't think they would have reflected so much light if they were the officer style bullion stars.

So if they are indeed enlisted stars, his highest rank could be a Cadet Sergeant.

My comments on what the photos indicate to me.

Post 84 is a Feldwebel from a common army Hungarian Infantry Regiment. The stripes on his left sleeve indicate length of service, in this case a minimum of 9 years service.

Post 92 is a Beamter (official) of the Gendarmerie (Oberleutnant equivalent).

Regards,

Ian

On 19/9/2017 at 06:11, Dario_Cro said:

Is is ususal than non officiers to wear sabre?

As I know tha sabre belongs to officers? Don't know really :)

Dario Cro : The sabre , was carried By : officers , feldwebels ,kadettfeldwebels, one year volunteers) ensigns .music masters ,doctors , the officials , according with his status carried either sabre or a sort of sting , apart , the sabre was carried by Cavalry 

19 hours ago, Dario_Cro said:

Thanks for your answer !

My pleasure , I left incomplete my last post . All ranks of Cavalry carried sabres . a model for troopers . apart , mounted artillerymen carried sabre too , mounted Gendarmerie also . usually of the 1869 or  the very similar 1904 models 

Hi Gents

I don't know if this helps.

i believe Infantry officers had a polished steel scabbard whereas the Nco or musicians etc were issued a leather scabbard with a brass stopper/shoe. The one in the photo looks metal to me.

tony