News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Austrian uniforms

ccj

• 3 months later...
    • 1 year later...

I am under the impression that the Hungarian regiments of the k.u.k. army wore the 'bear claw' on the cuff of their respective jackets. The bear claw was either silver or gold and matched the buttons on their jackets.

The soldier in the photo appears to have braid along the bottom edge of his collar, and if so, this would indicate that he is a Feldwebel (Hungarian - Tizedes).   

NCOs who voluntarily increased their length of service wore a gold chevron 6 cm wide on the left cuff of their jacket. They then added thinner chevrons (approx 1.3 cm) for 3, 6 and 9 years of service respectively.

The Royal Hungarian Gendarmerie had simple plain cuffs (no adornments). 

Regards,

Ian

Edited by Ian
    Additional Info

Simius . You are wrong , into the Kaiserlich und Koeniglich Army existed Hungarian Infantry Regiments Indeed . They wear the bear paws and the yellow black braid on the tight fitting Hungarian trousers . The men into these units were mostly Hungarian ethnics , 

Simius,

I have no issue with you saying I am wrong, but you are ignoring historical fact.  There were regiments within the k.u.k. Army that were designated as 'Hungarian' and wore the uniforms as described by Bayern.  I think you have confused the k.u. Honved with the regiments of the k.u.k. army. 

Regiments designated as ‘Hungarian’ within the common or k.u.k. Army were as follows:

IR 2, IR 5, IR 6, IR 12, IR 16, IR 19, IR 23, IR 25, IR 26 IR 29, IR 31, IR 32, IR 33, IR 34, IR 37, IR 38, IR 39, IR 43, IR 44, IR 46, IR 48, IR 50, IR 51, IR 52, IR 53, IR 60, IR 62, IR 63, IR 64, IR 65, IR 66, IR 68 IR 69, IR 70, IR 71, IR 72, IR 76, IR 78, IR 79, IR 82,  IR 83, IR 85, IR 86, IR 96, & IR 101.

Regarding the Tizesedes, you are correct, and that was my error. but I stand by my original post regarding that the soldier has braid around the edge of his collar and he is the Hungarian equivalent of a Feldwedel – Törzsörmester.

The fact remains that the k.u. Gendarmerie did not wear the ‘bear claw’ on their lower sleeves. So, I stand by my original comment that the Feldwebel in the photo is a common or k.u.k. Regiment soldier and not a k.u. Gendarmerie. 

When I wrote “The Royal Hungarian Gendarmerie had simple plain cuffs (no adornments)“    I was referring to the ‘bear claw’ and not the service chevrons. I could have been clearer, and again my bad.

Regards,

Ian

Edited by Ian
    correction

Simius . The 32 Honved Infantry Regiments weared a distinctive uniform, different of that of the Hungarian Regiments of the Common Army . In 1914 the peacetime uniform comprised a double breasted blue jacket with red hungarian knots braided  on the cuffs and rear of the collar which was also contoured with red cord . Madder red . buttons were yellow metal ,the tight fitting Hungarian trouser were light blue and with Hungarian knots braided in red cord on the front of the legs . In Pike Grey Field Uniform the Honved Infantry wear Slate Grey collar patches for all the Regiments and slate grey knots on the trousers . All the Hungarian Common Regiments named by Ian weared collar patches in regimental colour and yellow black braid on trousers .

Simius , Dont try please to enforce the History . Its true that the Hungarian Parliament intented to retire of the KuK Army all Hungarians but to no avail .apart not all the Hungarians were from the 1848 Party . I remember tou that the first Commander of the Honved was Archduke Joseph Karl Ludwig 1831 1905 ,son of the Archduke Joseph the Palatin of Hungary . and it was the Commander until his death in 1905. Remember also that the Honved dont have a proper General Corps, the Colonels of the Honved once nominated as General changed their tshako plate to the KuK eagle . altough he continued to wear the Hungarian General Uniform . The Generals of the KuK army commanded to the Honved weared also the so called Maria Theresa uniform for hungarian generals

Simius , By a chance the book that you said to have is Kiralyiert Es Hazaert ? I bought it in Budapest during April 1993 . In Hungarian but with a German summary and explication of each plate. with the help of a Lexicon and time I learned basic hungarian 

• 1 month later...

Thanks Ian.

Bayern, the lagerkappe does not have any numbers on the side sadly. I put it on the tunic for effect as they are not a pair that came together. the cap is made of the nettle material and in strong sunlight has a very yellow/green tint.  The inside is nicely lined and it has an oilskin sweatband. 

The pictures are not so good so don't really do it justice. I will post some clearer ones.

The karlsbluse has the Himmel-blau stripe making it either IR 3,4 Austrian or IR 19,32 Hungarian. No markers to suggest which it is but it came from Austria so my guess leans to 3rd or 4th IR.

cheers Tony

Many Thanks Tony ! for a while i thought in a Cavalry uniform , Austrian Hussars by the blue collar stripe but the absence of the shoulder cord gold and black over the left shoulder of the Bluse signals Infantry .I asked about the lagermutze cavalry type because cavalrymen carried on the left side the Letters D or H followed By a number . 

• 1 year later...
    • 2 months later...

I would like to confirm the uniform that King Alfonso XIII of Spain wears in this portrait.

I know that he visited Vienna in 1905 and the press indicated that he wore the uniform of a Hungarian colonel.

In the same way I would like to confirm the decorations. The sash looks like that of Saint Stephan . On the neck I don't know if it's the Teutonic Mariencross

Any information is appreciated

796332405_AlfonsoXIII10023499.thumb.JPG.de82aa457cf7dc68e0e7675a8578049b.JPG

KuK Infanterie Regiment Koenig Alfons XIII von Spanien nummer 38 . Ungarische uniform , egalisierung farbe , Black and button colour Silver . King Alfonso was by his mother Archduchess Maria Cristina von Austria Teschen a Habsburg . His uncle was Archduke Friedrich ,nephew and heir of the Archduke Albert . Alfonso was very afective with his Austrian uncle and cousins . During the war he was very active in the Red Cross to relief POWS and interchange , for his Wife ,Queen Victoria Eugenia he was simpathetyc with Great Britain and so he must act with finest skills 

• 1 year later...
    • 7 months later...
    On 22/09/2020 at 04:46, Bayern said:

Austrian Hussars by the blue collar stripe but the absence of the shoulder cord gold and black over the left shoulder of the Bluse signals Infantry .I asked about the lagermutze cavalry type because cavalrymen carried on the left side the Letters D or H followed By a number . 

when I see Bayerns posts on these older threads it reminds me how missed he is.