News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

F?hnrich

ccj

I'll try to clear this up but if I can.

Field officers

zig zag pattern

one squiggly pattern strip on each side(outside of pattern) with two straight strips on the inside

• Replies 54
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Field officers

zig zag pattern

one squiggly pattern strip on each side(outside of pattern) with two straight strips on the inside

Field officers

zig zag pattern

Generals: 3.3 cm wide gold lace collar patch, 11.2cm long and 4cm high, 2.6cm of the length being red background cloth. Silver embroidered stars. The general?s zig-zag pattern had a border that resembled rope with 3 stripes on the center.

Field Officers: 3.3 cm wide silver or gold lace on a 8.6cm long by 4cm high collar patch, which corresponded with the regimental or branch button color and the embroidered stars in the contrasting color to the lace, silver or gold. The field officer?s zig-zag pattern had a border that resembled rope with 2 stripes on the center.

Hello

With so good information as you provide ccj I'll make it as detailed as possible. This is the pattern I thought was the most realistic for a field-officer before to see your photos (I have to study its):

As you say I will stress differences between generals and field-officers. Then I will put here the differents draws of ranks I have at present to correct and improve most ranks as possible.

About the cuffs and regiment colours Gordon, I would need photos and information cause I'm not an expert in this army (I'm always refering to WW1). The hardest would be to make the cuff model or models. Afterwars is just to place colour and regiment identification.

That was the "kappe" used for officers in forum ranks:

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_07_2008/post-4508-1216542478.pnghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_07_2008/post-4508-1216542522.jpg

I begin working now.

Regards

Your colonel tab loks great and the colors are good. If the lace is silver the stars are gold and vice versa.

I'm no artist but I added the rope in blue and the stripes in green so you can see the detail. The major's tab is much more wear so you may not see all the detail. This generals tab I marked up have very good detail and have beeter detail.

... but paying attention to the "Borte", the last one looks to me a Generalmajor's field tunic...

E.L.

Well darn! Could it be a general and not a major? I only noticed two of the stripes and it doesn't have the 2.6cm length of cloth.

I'm going up stairs right now to look :o

Edited by ccj

Well darn! Could it be a general and not a major? I only noticed two of the stripes and it doesn't have the 2.6cm length of cloth.

I'm going up stairs right now to look :o

Okay, it does have three stripes. In "The Emperor's Coat" the generals tunic's has three and the field officer's have two. I've been taught to look for this trait. Now I have a major that have three stripes but not the 2.6cm length of generals scarlet/red cloth at the rear. Looking at period photos all generals have the 2.6cm section of cloth.

My world is upside down. :wacky:

Okay, it does have three stripes. In "The Emperor's Coat" the generals tunic's has three and the field officer's have two. I've been taught to look for this trait. Now I have a major that have three stripes but not the 2.6cm length of generals scarlet/red cloth at the rear. Looking at period photos all generals have the 2.6cm section of cloth.

My world is upside down. :wacky:

An interesting observation indeed. There are two possibilities, and in both cases the tailor wasn't paying attention to regulations...

1) a Generalmajor with too a short red cloth collar patch (correct Generalsborte, wrong collar patch);

2) a Major where the Generalsborte was used (wrong Borte, correct collar patch).

Is there any label sewn inside the inner pocket? From that, one could have an idea about the original owner's rank...

Best wishes,

Enzo

2) a Major where the Generalsborte was used (wrong Borte, correct collar patch).

Enzo

I think option 2 is most likely. Everyone would notice the wrong backing but not many would notice the wrong borte. I'm looking at as many period photos as I can find hoping to find an example of the wrong borte on a tunic.

Hello

Then, it would be a Feldmarchalleutnant with the measures you gave:

Generalmajor:

Is it right?

Looks good but I think you need a little bit more background color showing above the horizontal part of the borte

For those interested the photo in CCJ's post is Feldmarschalleutnant Josef Sch?n, Kommandant K.K. 22 SchD. If you look closely just to the bottom left hand side of his uniform jacket, you can see the ribbon of the MMTO showing and this is how I ID him :D

Boris,

Look just to the left (Sh?n's right hand side) of his medals and just where the picture is cut off you will see a white stripe with a little of the red (this is the dark colour) showing. This is the ribbon of the MMTO in wear.

Ian

Hello

I see it. You have to be and "indian tracker of uniforms" to notice that, congratulations. I'll pay attention to it from this time forward. Thank you. :D

Boris, your tab looks good. I'm not sure about the proportions of the star in relation to the tab...

Hello ccj

As you have the uniforms.

If I open a new theme to put ALL austro-hungarian ranks infantry (WW1-1914), would you be so kind to give me all measures and colurs I need.

Included stars kinds with diameter, etc...? I'll try to do it as historical as possible.

I mean from gefreiter to feldmarshall. This size:

(I know there is some mistakes here but I dont know exactly

Looks good but your feldwebel needs yellow lace/borte on the leading and lower edge of the collar patch.

I really like you Generalmajor tab. :cheers: Beautiful

Edited by ccj

Hello

Thanks ccj, :cheers: is just a question of time.

Then I open a new thread and leave you at las with your F?hnrich. The feldwebel was a mistake exporting the draws. :rolleyes:

Regards

I'm sure your Austrian rank chart will be impressive.

• 5 weeks later...
    • 3 years later...

I have grown to enjoy this tunic and have seen a few photos on soldiers of this rank with multiple bravery medals and would medal. I don't know if a soldier started as a fahnrich or could attained the rank from being an enlisted man before being promoted to an officer.