News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

New to collecting Irish Medals

This is my first post on this site and I must say the articles are quite interesting to read.

On a visit to Ireland last year I took the walking tour of 1916. It's actually pretty interesting. I started collecting Irish memorabilia from that era. I have some stamps, the Pearse coin, a few record albums and books and have recently acquired a War of Independence (Black and Tan) medal, together with a 1921-71 Survivors medal. I think it would be great to have a B/T with Comrac, A Rising medal and others from that era. Besides Ebay, and you really have to do your homework, are there other good sources from which to purchase something like this and what is the going rate. I know there are auctions and such. What about dealers in Dublin or area?

I would also like to thank snearkbrooklyn and irishmedals for all their help. I'm an average Canadian guy who has taken up a hobby not for the money but for the interest it brings.

I'd love to hear from fellow club members.

Many of the irish medals on ebay especially the early ones are reproduction and you have to be very careful as they are very expensive pieces. I'd recommend whating UK auction houses such as DNW, Spink etc. as they will stand behind there product unlike Ebay.

Cheers

Chris

Hallo Team Canada, :beer:

Welcome to the Forum

please take care, there are blatent fakes of Irish Medals being sold on Ebay,

If you havenot already done so then please read through the posts here,

on the Forum with regards Irish medals, before parting with any sum of money.

Please feel free to post pictures of your items here for us to take a peek at.

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Hello and Welcome to GMIC Team Canada!

I see there are 2 War of Independence Medals with Comrac bar on ebay right now... What worries me is that the seller is using the very same photograph of the reverse in both sales and also used the same image in one he sold previously. Too lazy to take pictures of each individual medal??

Not to mention, the photograph of the obverse of the first one looks terrible - really blurred and the medal looks to have a high gloss finish.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Very-Rare-Irish-Comrac...1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Irish-Comrac-Medal-wit...1QQcmdZViewItem

As previously stated, be very, very careful!

Can we see the medals you have already purchased?

Regards - Danny

I see there are 2 War of Independence Medals with Comrac bar on ebay right now... What worries me is that the seller is using the very same photograph of the reverse in both sales and also used the same image in one he sold previously. Too lazy to take pictures of each individual medal??

Not to mention, the photograph of the obverse of the first one looks terrible - really blurred and the medal looks to have a high gloss finish.

Regards - Danny

Yes, thanks for the good info. Here's a picture. I was told by a good reliable source they were issued to a man names James Corby. I received a letter from the Dept, of Defense (which I wrote) to get documentation of the medals I bought and it looks positive. The letter stated that a file reference was found in respect of a Medal application for James Corby. The file has been requested from the Military Archives and they will be in contact with me again when it comes in hand. I think it is important to have this information, as it adds to the provenance of the medal and supports the fact that is genuine (which I believe it to be). Here's some pics.

Regards - Danny

Here's part two of the picture

Regards - Danny

Gentlemen, One of these ebay auctions has a pin in its photograph that I discussed in another GMIC thread "Cumann na mBan gold badge on ebay" , although not stated as old I think it is badly discribed.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...
    • 2 weeks later...

Yes, thanks for the good info. Here's a picture. I was told by a good reliable source they were issued to a man names James Corby. I received a letter from the Dept, of Defense (which I wrote) to get documentation of the medals I bought and it looks positive. The letter stated that a file reference was found in respect of a Medal application for James Corby. The file has been requested from the Military Archives and they will be in contact with me again when it comes in hand. I think it is important to have this information, as it adds to the provenance of the medal and supports the fact that is genuine (which I believe it to be). Here's some pics.

This is a very nice medal do you have a large collection of Irish medals. My Grandfather on my mothers side was Irish. Corn beef and Cabbage is my favorite on new years.

Lorenzo