News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Thai Royal Cypher Medal

jshorter

This is a stretch (remember, I don't read Thai), but if you get no input from anyone else, try this. In my Thai book, this medal appears in what you might infer would be the 3rd senior position. Without scanning the page, I'll illustrate it thusly:

2 3 (your medal)

5 6

On the other hand, the caption on the left side of the page (Imagine that this is in Thai) says

ckklsoguwehbh % 6. An extremely fertile imagination might think that this suggests Class 6.

This discussion is surely outrageous enough that it will provoke someone to do proper research and come up with the real answer, and we'll all have a good laugh.

(And where are you getting all these Thai medals, anyway?)

Hugh

Hi Hugh!

I think you are right about it being a 3rd. class medal. On the Thai Secretariat of the Cabinet's website, Rama IX's medals have the same appearance, and the one with the red enameled exterior is the 3rd. class.

Secretariat of the Cabinet Site

Other than that, I really can't find any other info in English that is helpful.

(And where are you getting all these Thai medals, anyway?)

I have a wonderful contact in Bangkok! :rolleyes:

Thanks!

Jason

• 2 months later...

Hi Hugh!

I think you are right about it being a 3rd. class medal. On the Thai Secretariat of the Cabinet's website, Rama IX's medals have the same appearance, and the one with the red enameled exterior is the 3rd. class.

Secretariat of the Cabinet Site

Took another look after a final session with my Thai friend, not exactly translating, but talking about what's in my Thai medals book. She is a delightful person, but not at all versed in ODm, and a little weak in Thai history. (But she sure reads Thai better than I do!) There is a disappointing lack of detail in the book on criteria for award of most of the medals, (Maybe yours is more complete) but I did pick up a few extra points.

This appears to be the Cypher medal for Rama VI.

Best,

Hugh

• 4 months later...

Hello Gentlemen,there are a lot of Thai Royal Cypher Medals (each king except Rama VIII has its own).

Here I can post a Thai Royal Cypher Rama VII ( 1925-35 ) of fourth class.

The center is in gold.On next topic I will post the reverse of it.

First class is entierly set with diamonds,second class has red enamel cypher with surround set with diamonds,third class has royal cypher in gold,but also enameled in red (no diamond on thrid class).

Fifth class is entirely silver.

Emmanuel