News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

An overview of my Brits

• Replies 58
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for your comments. I bought the grenade in Lazarus Department Store in Columbus, Ohio in 1973. I have no idea how it got there, but they had a really different gift / home furnishings section. I have always thought it must have come from a Royal Artillery mess somewhere.

Hugh

Great collection. Were the medals all singles or is there groups in there just scatter amongst one another?

Cheers

Chris

Mostly singles, although I have bought a few groups (nothing spectacular) just to get one of the medals. Lest the group collectors be offended, I have not broken up the groups, but have retained them suitable for passing on to someone else intact when The Time comes.

Hugh

Very nice collection. Have you done any research to the named medals? The grenade may actually be Royal Engineers, who used a plain ball to the grenade and I believe also had extra flames. I'll see if I can find an illustration of the two different patterns.

Very nice collection. Have you done any research to the named medals? The grenade may actually be Royal Engineers, who used a plain ball to the grenade and I believe also had extra flames. I'll see if I can find an illustration of the two different patterns.

No real research, I'm afraid. I'm a bit of a magpie, going around picking up shiny things.

I'm glad for the input on the RE, and will be glad to see the images. Since I was a naval gunner myself, I tended toward the guns.

Ubique = All over the bloody place.

Hugh

With the Medal Index Cards and Service Records now available for the Great War, it would be nice to see those WWI medals researched.

I'm ex-Fleet Arm Arm, Royal Navy and then had 14years in the Territorial Army(your National Guard) and enjoyed both. Family was always Army orientated with the old man in the Grenadiers and brother a 'five mile sniper'(R.A.).

Just took a look at the Cox book, and it looks as though you're dead right - more flames. Thanks for the heads-up.

With respect to research, I should probably be ashamed of myself for having failed to do so, but I haven't invested in those resources, and, apart from the Gazette, don't really know where to start. I'm sure there's a tutorial somewhere.

Hugh

Here's the link for your Great War medals, and as you will know the name, rank, number and unit are on the medals themselves. Have fun, but it can become adictive;-

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...amp;queryType=1

I fear you've set my foot on a slippery slope - but I can't afford to buy anything else, so i may as well find a new way to enjoy these even more. Thanks for the nudge.

Hugh

good lord-you have one of everything -except the one Lord Ashcroft got! Magnificent! Encore!

Does that mean I can start calling myself Lord Trashcan? Fortunately, I bought a lot of them a LONG time ago. I'm afraid to add up an estimate of current value. And these are only the Brits. I have nine frames worth of other countries, mostly post-Napoleonic. Lots of Asians acquired while loving / traveling there for about 30 years. A magpie gaggle of Europeans and South Americans. It wasn't until Ed Haynes put me onto this forum that I realized that while I AM crazy, I'm not alone.

Hugh

Does that mean I can start calling myself Lord Trashcan? Fortunately, I bought a lot of them a LONG time ago. I'm afraid to add up an estimate of current value. And these are only the Brits. I have nine frames worth of other countries, mostly post-Napoleonic. Lots of Asians acquired while loving / traveling there for about 30 years. A magpie gaggle of Europeans and South Americans. It wasn't until Ed Haynes put me onto this forum that I realized that while I AM crazy, I'm not alone.

Hugh

may we see the other 8 cases-especially the eastern stuff?

may we see the other 8 cases-especially the eastern stuff?

Thanks for the interest. I've just posted Thai / Indonesian / Vietnamese / etc. on the SE Asia forum. I'll put the others on the various appropriate fora: East Asia, S. America, European.

Hugh

Give details of any circa WWI Brit stuff you have & some of us with subscriptions will check out "Ancestry.co" - not all Medal Index Cards & surviving Service Records etc are on there yet, but it'll save you having to cough up for any info available.

It took me years to get around to remembering which grenade has the extra couple of flames, RA or RE. I'm not too sure I can remember it for any length of tiome even now.

Thanks for the interest. I've just posted Thai / Indonesian / Vietnamese / etc. on the SE Asia forum. I'll put the others on the various appropriate fora: East Asia, S. America, European.

Hugh

Next Malaysia, same place.

Give details of any circa WWI Brit stuff you have & some of us with subscriptions will check out "Ancestry.co" - not all Medal Index Cards & surviving Service Records etc are on there yet, but it'll save you having to cough up for any info available.

Thanks for that very generous offer. Here's what I have in groups. The MM ought to be easy to trace. I don't seem to have entered Lejoni's service number in my data base, and I'm not ready to open the frame yet.

I've also put in an Aussie WW II group. Don't know if that data is available. Any help will be very welcome.

Best,

Hugh

GREAT BRITAIN - Ashanti 1901, named (block) to Corpl Lejoni,

1st K African R, F (Part of Lejoni group including Ashanti 1901, Africa General Service 1902, 1914-18 trio)

GREAT BRITAIN - Military Medal (MM), G-V, named to (block) 10439 Cpl F Brown, A 73/Bde RFA, (in group w/ WW I (trio) mounted Ef w/ ribbon bar

1914-15 Star, named (block) to 10437 Gnbr F Brown, R.F.A., EF

War Medal 1914-18, named to 10439 Cpl F. Brown, R. A., almost mint

Victory Medal, named to 10439 Cpl F. Brown, R. A.

GREAT BRITAIN - War Medal 1914-18, named to 6334 Pte G. W. S. Friedrichen, 16 Lond R. VF,

Victory Medal 1914-18, named to 6334 Pte G. W. S. Friedrichen, 16 Lond R. VF,

Defence Medal 1939-45, unnamed as issued, F,

War Medal 1939-45, unnamed as issued, F,

- Territorial Efficiency Medal, G-V, named to 6687679 W. O. Cl 2 G. W. S. Friedrichsen, 16/Lond R. VF,

Territorial Efficiency Medal, G-VI w/ top bar "Territorial" and 2 service bars (24 years service), named to Lt. G. W. S. Friedrichsen, Int. Corps., VF, - Code: UK

GREAT BRITAIN - 1939-45 Star, named to NX19292 W. E. Guthrie,

Pacific Star w/ bar "Burma", named to NX19292 W. E. Guthrie, F

Africa Star w/ bar "1st Army", named to NX19292 W. E. Guthrie, F

- Defence Medal, named to NX19292 W. E. Guthrie,

Thanks for that very generous offer. Here's what I have in groups. The MM ought to be easy to trace. I don't seem to have entered Lejoni's service number in my data base, and I'm not ready to open the frame yet.

I've also put in an Aussie WW II group. Don't know if that data is available. Any help will be very welcome.

Best,

Hugh

GREAT BRITAIN - Ashanti 1901, named (block) to Corpl Lejoni,

1st K African R, F (Part of Lejoni group including Ashanti 1901, Africa General Service 1902, 1914-18 trio)

GREAT BRITAIN - Military Medal (MM), G-V, named to (block) 10439 Cpl F Brown, A 73/Bde RFA, (in group w/ WW I (trio) mounted Ef w/ ribbon bar

1914-15 Star, named (block) to 10437 Gnbr F Brown, R.F.A., EF

War Medal 1914-18, named to 10439 Cpl F. Brown, R. A., almost mint

Victory Medal, named to 10439 Cpl F. Brown, R. A.

GREAT BRITAIN - War Medal 1914-18, named to 6334 Pte G. W. S. Friedrichen, 16 Lond R. VF,

Victory Medal 1914-18, named to 6334 Pte G. W. S. Friedrichen, 16 Lond R. VF,

Defence Medal 1939-45, unnamed as issued, F,

War Medal 1939-45, unnamed as issued, F,

Territorial Efficiency Medal, G-V, named to 6687679 W. O. Cl 2 G. W. S. Friedrichsen, 16/Lond R. VF,

Territorial Efficiency Medal, G-VI w/ top bar "Territorial" and 2 service bars (24 years service), named to Lt. G. W. S. Friedrichsen, Int. Corps., VF, - Code: UK

GREAT BRITAIN - 1939-45 Star, named to NX19292 W. E. Guthrie,

Pacific Star w/ bar "Burma", named to NX19292 W. E. Guthrie, F

Africa Star w/ bar "1st Army", named to NX19292 W. E. Guthrie, F

- Defence Medal, named to NX19292 W. E. Guthrie,

And in case you're up for checking on some singles, here they are:

GREAT BRITAIN - 1914 Star, named (block) Dvr J Niblock R G A

R Williams, 1986

GREAT BRITAIN - Mercantile Marine Medal, 1914-20, named (block) to Leonard C Barnsley, VF

London, 1973

GREAT BRITAIN - Naval General Service Medal 1915, w/bar

"Palestine 1936-39", w/palm MID, named (block) to MX 52530 W P Sylvester, S.B.A., R.N.

Spink, 6/68,

GREAT BRITAIN ? General Service Medal 1918 w/ bar "Iraq", named to 4531 Sepoy Bhanwar Singh, 15 Rajputs, VF w/ nick on back side @ 3 o'clock.

Rare Arts, Sundar Nagar, Delhi, 2/05

Many thanks for your help,

Hugh