News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Since I had talked about the early 19th century PlM making I like to introduce everybody to the Bavarian medal for Arts & Science in gold. Those of you how had the chance to examine such a piece may have realized that the medal consists of two parts, the medal itself and a device that enables the recipient to carry the decoration.

Some may have even realized that the ring and the suspension look a little bit off color, even tarnished. The reason for this is the lower cold content of the devise. Mixing gold with other type metals created a more rigid mix that would withstand the constant stress of weight and moving. A pure gold (Dukatengold) would have not been able to support the weight of the Arts & Science medal. Medals would have probably fallen out of its carrying devise.

You might ask now, why they did not just solder the suspension directly to the medal. Well, the pure gold would melt easily. Also, attaching something more ridig would cause a total regilt of the decoration.

Edited by medalnet