News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

WW1 and WW2 Commonwealth Groupings

Guest Darrell

Guest Darrell

5. When the medals were mounted, they were tied back onto the ribbons (to prevent them from bouncing around). Thus I was unable to get a nice clear shot of the reverse of the stars. However, they are all stamped:

C305411

C.

SMITH

Hope you enjoyed :beer:

Guest Darrell

The 'C' at the start of his number means that he was a coloured soldier.

Graeme

Thanks Graeme. I had read that somewhere before :beer:

Gents,

Here is a nice set i picked up today...coundn't resist! :)

Awarded to 204600 Able Seaman Alexander Andrew Gibson RN

the Long service and good conduct medal has HMS Acteon after his name

I went to the National archives and found that he was born on 18 January 1882, Minster in Kent.

Served on many ships from 1899 when he joined up.

Ships like;

HMS Northhampton

HMS Calliope

HMS Pembroke 1

HMS Nildura ( not entirely sure on this one..could be spelling)

HMS Wildfire

HMS Forward

HMS Halcyon

HMS Hecla ????

HMS Dunedin

And a couple of others that i cannot read clearly...

Was pensioned off in 1921

Wanted to get his medal index card ...but all the Nat archives gave me was two pages of the Ships he served on..no reference to his medals or his LSGC.

Has anyone got any info on HMS Acteon???

Nice group tho...

Enjoy!

Hi Gents,

I thought I would add a humble WW1 pair from my collection. BWM and Victory to Lieutenant Cecil W Habrow.

Lieut Habrow was one of the first officers to be commissioned (as 2 lieut) into the 11th (Lewisham) Battalion, the Queen's Own Royal West Kent Regiment after they were raised in late 1915.

Habrow is mentioned a number of times in my copy of the Battalion History, both as a talented musician at training camp and as one of the officers leading 'C' company, and stayed with them until their move to the Somme, where they suffered disastrous losses.

Our man transferred to the RFC, later RAF, gained promotion as a full Lieutenant, and trained as a wireless operator. He survived the war, and was discharged to the unemployed list in 1919.

Front and reverse view, plus a snap of our man at training camp in Aldershot.

Cheers

Gilbert

• 2 months later...
    • 2 weeks later...

Very nice to see that a veteran is so proud of his Dutch Thank you Britain/ Thank you Liberator medal that he will wear it together with his other awards.

I was in one of the comite's that awarded these medals and that looked after the veterans for a week. It is not an official awards so I don't know if they are really allowed to wear them in this way.

• 2 weeks later...
    • 4 months later...
    Guest Darrell

That's a great group Larry :love:

Congrats.

P.S. That post brought this long forgotten thread back to the top. Enjoyed going back through lookign at all the great groupings :jumping:

pauanui014.jpg

Lt. Col. Frederick Meredyth Mangin RAMC.

This small but complete group was found amonst my Grandfather's possessions when he passed on. He served in the Indian police during the same time scale and must have been acquainted with Frederick Mangin. Research has shown that Mangin spent his entire career in India apart from service in South Africa but was in fact RAMC, British Army. The medals have been re-ribboned and mounted as they were loose in a trunk when we found them. John Sly who researched the group has confirmed that it is complete.

The medals are:- IGS Medal 1895-02, Bar Punjab Frontier 1897-98. (Surgn. Capt. F.M. Mangin AML), QSA Medal, Bars Cape Colony and South Africa 1902. (Capt. F.M. Mangin RAMC) and British War Medal 1914-18 (Lt. Col. F. M. Mangin).

Posting the group here as it might be of interest and the group contains a WW1 medal.

• 1 month later...

A South African group

I'm not too interested in WWII medals but couldn't resist these to a South African called Abraham Lipschitz (I was drawn to them by his name). He was a Sergeant in the SAMC and I would think his section had some wonderful names for him.

Sgt. Lipschitz served from May 1940 to Sept. 45.

Tony

• 5 years later...

There's quite a story with this group. Five medals, bought from four different sources. I bought the Star, then was told that a shop had "maybe an M.S.M." Then after a time I found the N.G.S. on Gene Ursual's list. Then I kicked myself for getting deeper into a broken group. One evening I was at a friend's and he mentioned s dealer was trying to get hold of me, and was I interested in a pair to an Asistant Surgeon?

Assistant Surgeon Asquith, Indian Medical Department. He was on R.I.M.S. Minto for the Persian Gulf. He was still there during the first part of the war, sometimes ashore at telegraph stations in the Gulf. Then France and Belgium to mid 1915. Mesopotamia and Egypt. No sign of an I.G.S. or G.S.M. in his war services (no G.S.M. on his Medal card). On reason I am also sure he doesn't have an I.G.S. is the replacement suspender on his L.S.G.C. At the time he was awarded it, the medal had a non-swivel scroll suspender, and that would have been very difficult to break. My guess is that he wanted it to match his Naval G.S. and B.W.M.

The Naval G.S. is renamed, and the rank has been corrected (or perhaps "adjusted" is more correct. to 2nd Cl Asst. Sgn. which he didn't make until the 1920s. Those and the Star are all impressed in the same

I was just googling the other day, and what turned up? More on Asquith.

He was born in Lahore, where his father was also born (in 1864). Educated Bishop Cotton School Simla (the Indian Eton). He was recalled in the Second War, being promoted Lieutenant (Senior Assistant Surgeon), Captain and Major.

In 1940 he is shown as British Military Hospital Belgaum

Released 1946.

So I have to mount two more medals. ;)

Edited by Michael Johnson