News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

WW1 and WW2 Commonwealth Groupings

Guest Darrell

• 2 months later...

A South African group

I'm not too interested in WWII medals but couldn't resist these to a South African called Abraham Lipschitz (I was drawn to them by his name). He was a Sergeant in the SAMC and I would think his section had some wonderful names for him.

Sgt. Lipschitz served from May 1940 to Sept. 45.

Tony

It is a well known Jewish name in South Africa, have no idea of the origin, maybe German? Or Polish?

• 9 years later...
    On 13/11/2005 at 00:03, Michael Johnson said:

Herbert Waring. Joined the A.S.C. jsu after the First War, transferred to the (R.)I.A.S.C. Commissioned during the Second War in the I.A.O.C., was probably P.o.W. at Singapore. Transferred I.E.M.E. then went to Pakistan on Partition British Service, Special List. Was awarded the O.B.E. as Lt. Col. in what was probably the last Honours list befor Pakistan became a Republic. His substantive rank was Captain. All of his medlas are named.

I also have several pewtermugs neamed to him, and an illuminated Address of Honour given by one of the Workshops on his retirement.

post-576-1131858238.jpg

I have since confirmed that Waring was captured at Singapore in 1942 with the Indian Army Ordnance Corps - 30 Ordnance (M) W/S Coy., 11 Indian Division. He wasn't released until 1945.

Edited by Michael Johnson