News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

RAF Preliminary Wings

Hello Gentlemen,

Can anyone tell me if and how are RAF Preliminary wings ever actually worn? What if their recipient doesn't succeed in getting the "Full" wings. Can he keep on wearing the "Preliminary" on his uniform? Thanks

I'm sorry, I meant the Flying badge specified in HRH Prince Charles' biography reported hereinafter. I don't know if it is a RAF badge. I also saw it somewhere in the net; it's a cloth "Albatross"-type insignia, similar to that worn on the the upper sleeve by RAF airmen. I just wondered if it was ever actually worn by the recipient joining the RAF.

"14th January - The Prince's first solo flight was from RAF Bassingbourn after 14 hours 30 minutes instruction. 2nd August - a year after his first flight, His Royal Highness had logged more than 80 hours in the Chipmunk and had completed all the air and ground syllabus required for the Preliminary Flying Badge normally awarded to members of University Air Squadrons. Although The Prince was not a member of the Cambridge squadron, he was presented with his badge on 2nd August 1969, by the Air Officer Commanding-in-Chief RAF Training Command."

Thanks to anyone can help me. Regards

• 10 months later...
    • 8 months later...

Clarification: they are now ONLY used for University Air Squadron trainee pilots and are a pre-qualification qualification, if you can follow that. They are not worn on any RAF uniform under any circumstances except UAS kit and cannot be worn on full uniform later if you don't qualify.

It is my understanding that decades ago officer cadets were issued the Preliminary Flying Badge at EFS level but that is not so now.