News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Bringing History to life...

Alex K

As a collector of awards decorations and medals I sit there looking at my little baubles for many hours. sometimes I stray to other forums, As it happens I visited the GWF (Great War Forum) and came across some very nice colourised B/W photo's which gave a degree of reality to the period, soooo, I thought I'd have a go, as it's a bit different, attached are two of my first attempts, Any comments appreciated. The first is Witzigheer, and the second is Molders. I have others but at this moment of time can't vouch for the ownership of the photo's so won't post.

regards

Alex K

Out of curiousity what program do you use i wouldn't mind trying it out myself on some photos of medal recipients i have in my collection. I just got a new computer and its really beefy so i'd really like to try it out.

Cheers

Chris

same here, what program do you use Alex?

By the way your results and effortd are superb. well done.

Just make sure you water mark these pritty well as some people on ebay trying and rob them and sell as original color shots. Believe me it has happened many times already !

Best wishes.

Ian :-)

Out of curiousity what program do you use i wouldn't mind trying it out myself on some photos of medal recipients i have in my collection. I just got a new computer and its really beefy so i'd really like to try it out.

Cheers

Chris

Thanks for the comments, these are literally my first attempts at this sort of thing, I use Adobe Photoshop v 4.1. this is an OLD programme first designed for us with windows 95. It does however still work with my current Windows XP set-up albiet with a few kick starts sometimes. Attached is another one, this was litrerally my first attempt, it took about an hour to complete, The original photo was from one of our members website, and thanks to Robert Noss for his excellent Photosammler website. (Robert hope you don't mind that I used your photo and changed it but your portraiit photo's and great. If you wish me to delete, please let me know)

regards

Alex K

Edit attached with Pips correct colour

Edited by Alex K

I'm sure someone, somewhere, will find fault, but I think they're absolutely stunning! I'm strictly an Imperial guy, but those are nice photos. :jumping:

Really looking forward to doing some imperial, just got to have the info on colour of uniforms and insigia etc ready before I have a go

regards

Alex K

Really looking forward to doing some imperial, just got to have the info on colour of uniforms and insigia etc ready before I have a go

regards

Alex K

edit deleted by myself as it didn't add to the value of the posting

Adobe Photoshop is great at creating the impossible, How many TR collectors wouldn't mind finding this lot in the bottom of a box!! :speechless1:

Edited by Alex K

Guest Darrell

Interesting picture of Moelders. I thought it was common knowledge that he was awarded the 3/4 Ring RK. Don't appear like one of those in that picture. :unsure:

Interesting picture of Moelders. I thought it was common knowledge that he was awarded the 3/4 Ring RK. Don't appear like one of those in that picture. :unsure:

Not a 3/4 as far as I can see

regards

Just for fun, the original image showing it's age

regards

edit Given the concerns with regards to E-bay and "Original colour photo's" I've decided to delete the image sorry.

regards

Alex

Edited by Alex K

These photos are spectacular! You've done a terrific job on these. I remember my uncle (WWII vet I've posted about before) had the hobby of taking old family photos, getting them deplicated at photo shops and then coloring them in in water colors, oils, etc., in order to colorize them. He did really well. But I can only imagine how happy he would have been being able to do this type of work on a computer system. He wanted to bring such images and memories from the past to life and you folks have succeeded beyond his wildest dreams! Keep up the great work guys! And many thanks for sharing!

Dan

This gets quite addictive, another of General Geyr Von Schweppenburg. I actually quite like this one as the facial expression seems to indicate a level of resignation. Once again thanks to Robert Noss. Please delete if required.

regards

Alex K

I've seen many extremely well executed water colour colourisations done this way, my own parent's wedding photo's were done in just this watecolour way (Still have them), but? must have taken ages. The beauty of computers (fortunatley or Unfortunatley) it can be done in seconds. It just needs a degree of familiarlity with the software.

Having said that, I would'nt dream of colourizing my parent's photo's as I have both B/W and colourised. I remember my own parents in brilliant true colour when they were alive.

The whole point of colouring B/W photo's is that it it brings a degree of reality into what otherwise may be just an uninteresting old photo which doesn't "Hit you in the eye". After all, the world does not and never did exist in black and white whatever the period, Life was lived in colour

regards

Alex K

Edited by Nick

I am really enjoying this thread and seeing what you guys are doing.? I have been doing a lot of work on repairing old photos from Russia and Georgia.? I started from (knowledge+experience = zero) but I've been learning along the way.? It has been very satisfying to bring some of those photos back to life from their damaged (and some very damaged) states.? Now I'm wondering how some of them would look in color.?

You can do so much with the photo editors.? There are some good tutorials on YouTube about, for instance, making pop art sketches out of photos, just to name one technique.? That's ahead of where I am but it's something to think about. Thanks for this great thread.?

Gloat: Now I'm off for a week of fishing the Kenai River combined with intensive woodturning challenges on-site at a friend's cabin right on the river with a huge woodturning studio.? Is life good or what?

Chuck

Colouring old photo's is great when you're stuck in your little "Study" for that read manky little box room. Your vacation sounds absolutely great from where I sit. I assume there is plenty of nothing around except nature, water and fresh air. I'm drooling.

regards

Alex

Hi all,

Alex, I hope you don't mind me posting this one here... but thought you might want to play with it a bit. It's one I just picked up and hoping it arrives in the next few days. Not from the period but it's from the 1959 film "The Young Lions". A young Marlon Brando... but in the uniform and that pose I simply couldn't resist!

Have fun!

Dan

Hi all,

Alex, I hope you don't mind me posting this one here... but thought you might want to play with it a bit. It's one I just picked up and hoping it arrives in the next few days. Not from the period but it's from the 1959 film "The Young Lions". A young Marlon Brando... but in the uniform and that pose I simply couldn't resist!

Have fun! :beer:

Dan :cheers:

Hi Dan, Nice photo, looks like fun colourizing it, bit of a challenge, a larger higher res scan would help. don't mind colourizing and sending to you as a PM, you can post it or do what you want with it.

regards

Just for fun, don't know if it quite works. Interestingly if you look at the poster, the uniform seems wrong, either that or the poster printer got it wrong, but he's wearing General coloured insignia, don't suppose it matters in a B/W film.

regards

edit B/W photo added

Alex K

Edited by Alex K