News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Bringing History to life...

Alex K

J'accuse...!,  interesting image of a former KZ inmate identifying a former camp guard, no information as to it's location, but I believe taken in June 1945, perhaps a clue is the KM officer in the picture, the Wehrmacht officer has a look of " I wouldn't like to be in your shoes" on his face

Alex K

kz 1945.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

I've had another go, just couldn't resist even though I still find the background a problem.

Civil Service Rifles

Commonwealth POWs

Some Germans (not sure if the red tabs on the greatcoat are correct)

More Germans, probably 1940 and I'm not convinced I got the uniform colour right

Brit POWs probably 1940

A nurse, possibly Red Cross

French infantry

Gurkha POWs

15 CSR.jpg

img082-.jpg

img137-.jpg

img138--.jpg

img142-.jpg

img145--.jpg

img146.jpg

img148-.jpg

Edited by Tony

• 1 month later...
    • 1 month later...

Hi everyone, I'm new to this site but have colourised 'a few' pics in the past. Here's one of my most recent ones.  Caption - M4A4 MkV Sherman tank (T-147477) of 'A' squadron 4 troop, (Ontario Regt.) 1st Canadian Armoured Brigade, passes through Via Don Luigi Sturzo, Trecastagni, Sicily.  9 August 1943.

16403433_10155693528990752_1540267138937707207_o.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi all, I remember as a little lad (In the 50's) coming across this image which for some reason captivated me, well I've found it again after many years so decided to have a go at it, the original caption reads

"A German Luftwaffe officer POW disembarking in Newhaven, England glances contemptuously at a guard (ca. 1941)"

the caption on the image is mine!

regards

Alex K

misc10 copy.JPG

Hi looking at the original, there is no glove on the left hand, (fingers nails are just about visible), as for an injury on his right hand, could possibly be, caption doesn't mention anything

regards

On 24/03/2017 at 08:49, Alex K said:

"A German Luftwaffe officer POW disembarking in Newhaven, England glances contemptuously at a guard (ca. 1941)"

Good job, Alex. I am struck by how remarkable well-nourished the sergeant looks, considering it is war time and at the height of rationing!

On ‎29‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 16:18, Trooper_D said:

Good job, Alex. I am struck by how remarkable well-nourished the sergeant looks, considering it is war time and at the height of rationing!

Might be a case of "Who you know and not what you know"!, :D

• 2 months later...
    • 3 months later...

Hello all. I used this forum for research for quite a while now. Maybe time to show what I do with that gathered info. I prefer to colour photo's from my own collection but I also do photo's from public collections. 

ec7cb454315455.595618b2515b2.jpg

img282-export-wm.jpg

img289-export-wm2.jpg

35 minutes ago, ErwinZ said:

Hello all. I used this forum for research for quite a while now. Maybe time to show what I do with that gathered info. I prefer to colour photo's from my own collection but I also do photo's from public collections. 

Hello ErwinZ;

Welcome to GMIC.  Thanks for posting your colourized photos.  They really show the humanity behind these B&W photos.  I find them engrossing.

Edited by Claudius

On 6/10/2008 at 18:48, Chuck In Oregon said:

Or, you could just let your imagination guide you and draw your own from scratch.

A Georgian friend gave me a large collection of his sketches. I'm in the process of scanning them onto a website. That is a giant PITA, in case anyone is wondering. The results are satisfying, though.

So, anyone recognize this guy? The guy in the sketch, not the Georgian.

Chuck

180x495_2LOW.jpg

Looks like the white Russian General Anton Denikin 1872 - 1947 . If not in any case is a White Russian General 

On 3/7/2016 at 09:04, Alex K said:

Thanks to all, just to finish off King Kalakaua, came across this image, it seems Prussian influence spread far and wide!!

haube.JPG

Looks like a Prussian General waffenrock .inclusive the rare number of twelve buttons . but the Prussians used to wear the four inferior buttons ,unbuttoned.

On 24/5/2009 at 13:27, Paul R said:

Alex,

You hit the nail on the head, with the US General's photo. Your talent is amazing!

Here is the photo I was telling you about. Can you make this one come to life?

Paul

post_366_1196210010.jpg

This one is a musician .keep in mind that .because Musikmeisters ,Obermusikmeisters and Stabsmusikmeisters carried special shoulderboards . and collar patches . the colour of the patches was according with that of the unit to which belongs the Kapelle .Yellow for Air , red for Flak ,white for Hermann Goering , black for the RLM and so on