News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Bringing History to life...

Alex K

Your title "When you get bored" sure dosen't apply to the viewer! These are great, very nice work.

Cheers :cheers:

Brian

Hi Brian As a collector primarily of ODM's and an interest in military history in general, I look at my collection frequently, but just occaisionally I stray to other fields. my other lifetimes interest has always been photography. and if I can combine the two, what the hell why not! There are many excellent B/W photo's out there which express their period message without any tinkering. Just, sometimes a bit of colour brings a higher level of "Reality" as I mentioned in an erlier post, life was not lived in B/W but colour.

having said all that, attached another Colourised portrait of Dietrich Hrabak. (unwaterermarked) see how quickly this appears on scum-bay as an original colout photo)

regards

Alex

For those who are interested, an excellent web-site about REAL colour Photo's of the last days of the Romanov Dynasty and other period photo's. These photo's are not recoloured or even coloured , they are genuine photo's taken at the time, ie, turn of the 19th century. They were taken with a special 3 layer camera which recorded each image in their three primary colours and when combined produced a true colour image, to me fascinating.

http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/empire/

edit, the site allows you to download small files of the picture, jpeg , medium files or Woppas in uncompressed Tiff format, where it is in uncompressed format at very high file format, this allows you to zoom into the closesd level of details without any ?deterioratins on picture quality

Edited by Alex K

• 1 month later...

For those who are interested, an excellent web-site about REAL colour Photo's of the last days of the Romanov Dynasty and other period photo's. These photo's are not recoloured or even coloured , they are genuine photo's taken at the time, ie, turn of the 19th century. They were taken with a special 3 layer camera which recorded each image in their three primary colours and when combined produced a true colour image, to me fascinating.

http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/empire/

edit, the site allows you to download small files of the picture, jpeg , medium files or Woppas in uncompressed Tiff format, where it is in uncompressed format at very high file format, this allows you to zoom into the closesd level of details without any deterioratins on picture quality

Fascinating... has anyone attempted Imperial German soldiers or British troops?

Fascinating... has anyone attempted Imperial German soldiers or British troops?

Yes working on a number of projects, but Imperial German, you need to know what time frame the photo was taken, to ensure that wherever possible uniforms, insiginia and any decorations can be accurately identified.

Working on the attached at the moment, lots of work to get it realistic.

regards

Alex

Over at the Great War Forum there is a chap (Chris Foster) who has colorized a number of photos and he is, in a word, a real artist. personally, I think he should publish a book of the images.

The results of his patient work are stunning-and sometimes, chilling. There was one photo of a squad of British soldiers slogging down a sunken lane that gives me the shudders.

He has managed to make mud look real and vivid.

This is a borrowed partial one.

Amazing stuff-

Edited by Ulsterman

Over at the Great War Forum there is a chap (Chris Foster) who has colorized a number of photos and he is, in a word, a real artist. personally, I think he should publish a book of the images.

The results of his patient work are stunning-and sometimes, chilling. There was one photo of a squad of British soldiers slogging down a sunken lane that gives me the shudders.

He has managed to make mud look real and vivid.

This is a borrowed partial one.

Amazing stuff-

Yes seen his work on GWF, some remarkable stuff.

I am trying lots of different stuff but am starting with the easier bits first.

next effort Franz Ritter Von Epp. (I'm sure the NSDAP uniform experts will say all the collar tabs are wrong colour :speechless1:

regards

Alex

Non-Nazi efforts would be nice. Have some Soiviet candidates?

Hi Ed, would love to, unfortunately for me, uniform colours and insiginia are a problem, me being a non soviet expert, as I mentioned in my previous post, I'm trying all different subjects, as in the end colourising is about the subject and not the political leanings of the subject. It just takes time to research uniforms and insignia, (TR Uniforms have been displayed to death)

There are many fantastic photo's posted on this site including yours, which are ripe for colourizing, unfortunately borrowing other members photo's and altering them without permission may well be frowned upon. There are some images in "Free Domain" on the internet but they tend to be small images which are difficult to capture the more subtle elements which in the end we are trying to achieve.

regards

Alex

Non-Nazi efforts would be nice. Have some Soiviet candidates?

Attached, early soviet, i think, this was done to show a colourized B/W photo of what it may have looked like when colourised ?in the traditional way before colour photo's arived

Alex

BTW Thanks Ed Hope you don't mind

Edited by Alex K

I'm not sure if this picture came from this forum, or from another, but if I recall correctly it was colorized by a member from Norway.

Kaiser Wilhelm II in an Austrian uniform:

kaiserwilhelmiiaustrianow6.jpg

Yes seen it before, I would love a higher resolution copy of the image to have a go myself.

regards

• 3 weeks later...

Or, you could just let your imagination guide you and draw your own from scratch.

A Georgian friend gave me a large collection of his sketches. I'm in the process of scanning them onto a website. That is a giant PITA, in case anyone is wondering. The results are satisfying, though.

So, anyone recognize this guy? The guy in the sketch, not the Georgian.

Chuck

Edited by Chuck In Oregon

• 3 weeks later...

OK I know most are already bored with TR Colourisations :banger: but I couldn't resist these. I use these simple images to get a grasp of the more subtle ways of using colour.

regards

Alex \k

edit because of the need to reduce to quality of the images for posting purposes, they look better in their original size

Edited by Alex K

Thanks Robert, I tend to stick more to portraits at the moment, but am looking for more open scenes

regards

Alex

Edit, just noticed this one got cropped somehow

Edited by Alex K

• 2 weeks later...

Yet another one, this one is one of the many excellent portraits posted by Robert Noss, he really does manage to find some interesting images, It's of Lt Werner Gunther.?

I hope you don't mind Robert :unsure:

regards

Alex?

• 2 months later...

Bonsoir,

Nice colouring job, but the colors are a bit off the mark.

This is the uniform of Hungarian Generals ; the trousers should be red, and the pelisse white.

kaiserwilhelmiiaustrianow6.jpgAutriche_CPA_FranzJosef.jpg

There's obviously been a mix with the Prussian LeibGarde Husaren uniform (dark blue trousers and pelisse), another favourite of Kaiser Bill's.

Cheers !

J?r?me

Alex,

Here are the basic colours for the 13th Hussar Narvskii His Imperial and Royal Highness Emperor of Germany and King of Prussia Wilhem II Regiment.

Cheers,

Jerome

Edited by Djedj

Bonsoir,

Nice colouring job, but the colors are a bit off the mark.

This is the uniform of Hungarian Generals ; the trousers should be red, and the pelisse white.

kaiserwilhelmiiaustrianow6.jpgAutriche_CPA_FranzJosef.jpg

There's obviously been a mix with the Prussian LeibGarde Husaren uniform (dark blue trousers and pelisse), another favourite of Kaiser Bill's.

Cheers !

J?r?me

Hi Thanks for posting the additional and correct information, The picture of the Kaiser is not mine but I will keep your information on file as it helps those of us who do this sort of thing :D

Edit would you have any information on the Russian Hussars uniform the Kaiser is wearing in an earlier thread I posted

regards

Alex K

Edited by Alex K

Alex,

Here are the basic colours for the 13th Hussar Narvskii His Imperial and Royal Highness Emperor of Germany and King of Prussia Wilhem II Regiment.

Cheers,

Jerome

Bonsoir Alex,

If you refer to the photo in your post #69 (this thread), then that's the uniform pattern.

Cheers,

Jerome