News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Next Malaysia

Hugh

• Replies 133
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I believe this is the medal recently approved for British troops who fought in Malaya during the Emergency. Can't remember whether they finally got approval to wear it or not. I remember there was a kerfuffle.

MALAYSIA - FEDERAL - Pingat Perkhidmatan Am (PPA), Breast badge, (General Service Meal 1965), Mint

Malaya Trading Co Kuala Lumpur

Very nice Hugh! :D

Might be of interest, Brooke's great grandson is back in town and checking out his old family haunts:

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=...&sec=nation

http://thestar.com.my/metro/story.asp?file...;sec=southneast

A couple of nice pieces, and it doesn't sound as though he's a twit. Good for him!

Thanks for sending the links.

Hugh

Hugh--

Thanks agin for this wonderful information and illos!!

Wing Commander O'Toole, besides many other works, wrote a "Medal Collector" article on Sarawak awards in the 1960s. I don't have access to that now but believe the Star Order originated in 1928 and had the old or first type insignia from then until 1946. If I remember correctly, another iteration of the Star of Sarwak insignia existed from 1970-83 and a further insignia change ran from 1983-88 when yet another version apparently appeared. Right now, the Liverpool Medals site displays a ladies 5th class of what may be the 1970-83 type. I remember that a KL ex-pat bar, maybe near the new Regent Hotel, had a couple of cases of awards displayed in the late 1990s.

Didn't the Order of the Star of Hornbill first come into being in the 1973 regulations?

PS "kerfuffle" has serious connations in some circles!!!

Wonderful (if distracting when I am working on South Korea!!!!).

Regarding the Order of the Star of Sarawak - it was instituted by Brooke on 28 September 1928 in 3 classes (Master, Companion and Officer) + Sovereign and Grand Master. The order was revived by the Sarawak state government after independence on 10 July 1964 and expanded, under the name Panglima Negara Bintang Sarawak.

Regarding the General Service Medal 1965, the official position is 'may be accepted as a keepsake but should not be worn.' However as virtually everyone entitled is retired, they can wear what they please as they are not subject to Queen's Regulations! So it adorns many a proud chest, I am glad to say.

Regarding the Order of the Star of Sarawak - it was instituted by Brooke on 28 September 1928 in 3 classes (Master, Companion and Officer) + Sovereign and Grand Master. The order was revived by the Sarawak state government after independence on 10 July 1964 and expanded, under the name Panglima Negara Bintang Sarawak.

{Quote - 922 F }

Wing Commander O'Toole, besides many other works, wrote a "Medal Collector" article on Sarawak awards in the 1960s. I don't have access to that now but believe the Star Order originated in 1928 and had the old or first type insignia from then until 1946. If I remember correctly, another iteration of the Star of Sarwak insignia existed from 1970-83 and a further insignia change ran from 1983-88 when yet another version apparently appeared. Right now, the Liverpool Medals site displays a ladies 5th class of what may be the 1970-83 type. I remember that a KL ex-pat bar, maybe near the new Regent Hotel, had a couple of cases of awards displayed in the late 1990s.

Didn't the Order of the Star of Hornbill first come into being in the 1973 regulations?

{Unquote}

First thanks to Megan and 922F, for the history on this. Now, who among you can identify the dates of my two orders? I would suspect that they are of the two most recent generations, just because they were still in manufacture in the '90's. Don't know a thing about the Star of Hornbill / dates, but have included a list of Sarawak ODM. Can't be sure about where I got it, but probably from a State website.

Sarawak - Orders, Decorations and Medals

Datuk Patinggi Bintang Kenyalang (DP)

Panglima Gemilang Bintang Kenyalang (PGBK)

Darjah Jasa Bakti Sarawak (DJBS)

Panglima Setia Bintang Sarawak (PSBS)

Pingat Keberanian (Posthumous) (PK (P))

Johan Bintang Sarawak (JBS)

Johan Bintang Sarawak (Posthumous ) (JBS (P))

Darjah Gemilang Bintang Kenyalang Sarawak: Johan Bintang Kenyalang (JBK)

Pingat Perkhidmatan Cemerlang (Emas) (PPC)

Pingat Keberanian (PK)

Darjah Yang Amat Mulia Bintang Sarawak: Pegawai Bintang Sarawak (PBS)

Pegawai Bintang Kenyalang (PBK)

Pingat Pentadbiran Awam: Pingat Perkhidmatan Bakti (Perak) (PPB)

Darjah Amat Mulia Bintang Sarawak: Ahli Bintang Sarawak (ABS)

Darjah Gemilang Bintang Kenyalang Sarawak: Ahli Bintang Kenyalang (ABK)

Pingat Pentadbiran Awam: Pingat Perkhidmatan Terpuji (Gangsa) (PPT)

Darjah Amat Mulia Bintang Sarawak: Bentara Bintang Sarawak (BBS)

Finally, "kerfuffle" - have I blundered into a PC minefield? Please enlighten me - I'm most comfortable in the nineteenth and early 20th centuries.

Thanks to you both,

Hugh

{Quote - 922 F }

{Unquote}

First thanks to Megan and 922F, for the history on this. Now, who among you can identify the dates of my two orders? I would suspect that they are of the two most recent generations, just because they were still in manufacture in the '90's. Don't know a thing about the Star of Hornbill / dates, but have included a list of Sarawak ODM. Can't be sure about where I got it, but probably from a State website.

Sarawak - Orders, Decorations and Medals

Datuk Patinggi Bintang Kenyalang (DP)

Panglima Gemilang Bintang Kenyalang (PGBK)

Darjah Jasa Bakti Sarawak (DJBS)

Panglima Setia Bintang Sarawak (PSBS)

Pingat Keberanian (Posthumous) (PK (P))

Johan Bintang Sarawak (JBS)

Johan Bintang Sarawak (Posthumous ) (JBS (P))

Darjah Gemilang Bintang Kenyalang Sarawak: Johan Bintang Kenyalang (JBK)

Pingat Perkhidmatan Cemerlang (Emas) (PPC)

Pingat Keberanian (PK)

Darjah Yang Amat Mulia Bintang Sarawak: Pegawai Bintang Sarawak (PBS)

Pegawai Bintang Kenyalang (PBK)

Darjah Amat Mulia Bintang Sarawak: Ahli Bintang Sarawak (ABS)

Darjah Gemilang Bintang Kenyalang Sarawak: Ahli Bintang Kenyalang (ABK)

Pingat Pentadbiran Awam: Pingat Perkhidmatan Terpuji (Gangsa) (PPT)

Darjah Amat Mulia Bintang Sarawak: Bentara Bintang Sarawak (BBS)

Finally, "kerfuffle" - have I blundered into a PC minefield? Please enlighten me - I'm most comfortable in the nineteenth and early 20th centuries.

Thanks to you both,

Hugh

I'll need some help from you all on these next two. I may be a little confused about what I've actually got, but these are my notes from the time. Any clarification welcome.

MALAYSIA-SARAWAK - Datin Amar Bintang Kenyalang (DA), 2nd Class, Darjah Utama Yang Amat Mulia Bintang Kenyalang Sarawak (The Most Eminent Order of the Most Esteemed Star of Kenyalang Sarawak), new style, Mint (Badge differs significantly from DP (MA17) described above. May be Civil Division?)

Alan Tan, Singapore, 5/91

Same issue here; not entirely sure that my notes are correct. Comments? Is this order known to have a military and civil division? Or, in accordance with Megan's earlier note, could this be just a later / earlier generation?

MALAYSIA-SARAWAK - Datuk Amar Bintang Kenyalang (DA), 2nd Class, Darjah Utama Yang Amat Mulia Bintang Kenyalang Sarawak (The Most Eminent Order of the Most Esteemed Star of Kenyalang Sarawak), neck badge, new style, Mint (Badge similar to but slightly different from DA (MA18 described above. Men's Civil Division may differ from previous?

Or am I hopelessly confused, and these two are really

MALAYSIA-SARAWAK - Panglima Negara Bintang Sarawak (PNBS), (Commander of the Star of Sarawak), Breast Star, old style, Spink's, EF

Alan Tan, Singapore, 11/91,

MALAYSIA-SARAWAK - Panglima Negara Bintang Sarawak (PNBS), (Commander of the Star of Sarawak), new style, mint

Alan Tan, Singapore, 3/92

??

Too many late nights in this collection business.

And this is his little brother

MALAYSIA-SARAWAK - Bentara Bintang Sarawak (BBS), 5th Class, (Herald of the Star of Sarawak), Breast badge in silver (New Style), Mint

You can see I've had to use the Magic Markers to make a ribbon. I've only seen it in this Austrian shape. Handsome little devil, isn't he?

MALAYSIA-SARAWAK - Long Service Medal, Breast badge in gold, Mint

Who can identify the first of these three?

MALAYSIA - Group (3) State medals: Perak/Selangor/Perak,

PERAK - Silver medal, reverse dated 26. 10. 63, EF

SELANGOR - Silver Jubilee Medal, 1960-1985, Tunku Salahuddin A. Aziz Shah, EF

PERAK - Sultan dan Yang di-Pertuan Negeri Perak Darul Ridzuan, in Gold, Reverse dated 1406/1985, EF,

Breast badges mounted court style

Malaya Trading Co., 10/90