News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Next Malaysia

Hugh

• Replies 133
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I met the Sultan of Johore when he was King of Malaysia; on the golf course of the Royal Selangor Country Club (monkeys on the tee for the 10th hole, a cobra on the fairway of the 12th.)

MALAYSIA ? JOHORE ? Johore, Order of the Crown 1st class decoration, superb quality with gold

suspension and gold centre, rare, (L10870) EF

Liverpool medal, Liverpool, 11/05

Yes, I know Brunei is not part of Malaysia, but it is right next door. Ghurka fans will remember that they had had a Ghurkha battalion for years.

Bet this one will bring Ed out of his shell (if his eyes haven't glazed over.)

Royal Brunei Malay Gen'l Svc Medal

Yes, I know Brunei is not part of Malaysia, but it is right next door. Ghurka fans will remember that they had had a Ghurkha battalion for years.

Bet this one will bring Ed out of his shell (if his eyes haven't glazed over.)

Lovely lovely stuff, and they still hire Gorkhas in Brunei, I think. Have just been drooing!!

:jumping::jumping::jumping:

Edited by Ed_Haynes

Yes, yes, I know, Singapore isn't part of Malaysia any more, but it was then. Malay is still the national language of Singapore (as opposed to the four "official" languages - English, Malay, Chinese and Tamil).

MALAYSIA-SINGAPORE - Pingat Perkhidmataan Anggota Beruniform Malaysia (Uniformed Services of Malaysia Medal) Independence Medal, September 16th, 1963,

Rawalpindi, 1990, c. Pk Rs 150/$8 US

How could I forget Sabah, home of the orang-utan.

MALAYSIA-SABAH - Ahli Darjah Kinabalu (ADK), Member-4th Class, Order of Kinabalu, Neck Badge, Mint

Alan Tan, Singapore, 5/91

OK, here's a teaser - left to right

MALAYSIA-SARAWAK - Datuk Patinggi Bintang Kenyalang (DP), 1st Class, Darjah Utama Yang Amat Mulia Bintang Kenyalang Sarawak (The Most Eminent Order of the Most Esteemed Star of Kenyalang Sarawak), Shoulder Sash with badge and star, old style, Mint Alan Tan, Singapore, 5/91

MALAYSIA TERENGGANU - Darjah Kebesaran Sultan Mahmud Terengganu Yang Amat Dihormati (The Most Honourable Order of Sultan Mahmud of Terengganu), 1st Class - Seri Setia Sultan Mahmud Terengganu (SSMT), Collar in gold with badge and star, Mint

Alan Tan, Singapore, 3/92

MALAYSIA-TERENGGANU - (Panglima) Dato' Paduka Mahkota Terengganu (DPMT), Commander (2nd Class), Darjah Kebesaran Mahkota Terengganu Yang Amat Dihormati (The Most Honourable Order of the Crown of Terengganu), Shoulder sash with badge and star, Mint

MALAYSIA-SARAWAK - Datuk Patinggi Bintang Kenyalang (DP), 1st Class, Darjah Utama Yang Amat Mulia Bintang Kenyalang Sarawak (The Most Eminent Order of the Most Esteemed Star of Kenyalang Sarawak), Shoulder Sash with badge, new style, Mint

That little red and blue guy between the first two sashes is from the Philippines - we'll get to him later, along with the rest of the Malays.

In case anyone is still watching (both of you)

Sorry, I just noticed a mislabeling in Post # 16 for the center two Grand Cross sets from Terengganu. The collar and the topmost star are Sultan Mahmud as originally labeled.

The sash is:

MALAYSIA-TERENGGANU - (Panglima) Dato' Paduka Mahkota Terengganu (DPMT), Commander (2nd Class), Darjah Kebesaran Mahkota Terengganu Yang Amat Dihormati (The Most Honourable Order of the Crown of Terengganu), Shoulder sash with badge and star, Mint

The star for the Crown Order is cut off in the picture originally posted, but I've included it here.

Apologies to all, but especially to Megan who is trying to make some sense out of all this.

Hugh

Here's a closer look.

post-1655-1218133888.jpg

Hi,

It is the Installation Medal (Pingat Pertalaban) of HRH Sultan Idris Almutawakkil Allahi Shah (33rd Sultan of Perak - 1963-1984).

Lukasz

Edited by Lukasz Gaszewski

Hugh

A bit of a scandalous character, several of whose children followed his example, so you may want to hold on to this one. Although, I expect not all the stories will come out for quite a while.

Cheers,

James

Can't wait to hear. I think Johore has also had a few rogues. I'd hear the stories when I lived in Singapore

Thanks, Lukasz! I've been waiting a long time to learn this. Any comments on the others?

Hugh

Your obedient servant! I was just speechless when I saw your photos. They are great indeed! I am particularly obliged for the photos of Sarawak orders. They are extremely hard to find.

I once made a compilation of all ribbons of Malaysian orders and medals available to me. Here is the Sarawak section: http://www.medals.lava.pl/my/my3.htm#msk. I still have some doubts about the names of Sarawak orders. According to my research the Order of Kenyalang has a still different ribbon - yellow with black central stripe and red edges. But you are never sure about Sarawak orders, which are the most mysterious of all Malaysian states. The Order of the Star of Sarawak adopted a new ribbon in 1988. If you have any additional information, please share!

I am also not sure about the Order of the Crown of Terengganu. Either it is a fake ribbon (this ribbon is used by the Order of Kinabalu of Sabah - the 1970 type), or they adopted a new one recently (this happens ocassionally with Malaysian orders). The badge is certainly that of the Order of the Crown.

Yours is a great contribution to GMIC indeed. I am sure other GMIC members will say the same. Thanks a lot!

Lukasz

Thanks for your kind comments, Lukasz. Most of my Sarawak pieces came from a manufacturer, as did the Terengganu Grand Cross sets.

Since many of the State ODM emerged after O'Toole did his work, I have relied heavily on "Malaysian Protocol and Correct Forms of Address" by Abdullah Ali. It is primarily focused on the subjects in the title, but does have a state-by-state section listing orders and decorations, incuding royal decorations and orders of chivalry and classes, decorations and medals. Unfortunately, there is no description nor a single picture of the ODM.

I look forward to anything more you have in this SE Asia area. (And how did a Polish guy become involved with Sarawak?)

Best,

Hugh

quote name='Lukasz Gaszewski' date='Aug 9 2008, 22:24 ' post='284526']

I am also not sure about the Order of the Crown of Terengganu. Either it is a fake ribbon (this ribbon is used by the Order of Kinabalu of Sabah - the 1970 type), or they adopted a new one recently (this happens ocassionally with Malaysian orders). The badge is certainly that of the Order of the Crown.

Thanks for your kind comments, Lukasz. Most of my Sarawak pieces came from a manufacturer, as did the Terengganu Grand Cross sets.

Since many of the State ODM emerged after O'Toole did his work, I have relied heavily on "Malaysian Protocol and Correct Forms of Address" by Abdullah Ali. It is primarily focused on the subjects in the title, but does have a state-by-state section listing orders and decorations, incuding royal decorations and orders of chivalry and classes, decorations and medals. Unfortunately, there is no description nor a single picture of the ODM.

I look forward to anything more you have in this SE Asia area. (And how did a Polish guy become involved with Sarawak?)

Best,

Hugh

A most fascinating theme!

May I offer here a photo (lamentably of the minor quality) of a Sarawak delight. The photo was sent to me by a friend from Sarawak many, many years ago.

Dragomir