News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Republic of China ODM (Taiwan)

Hugh

Here's Taiwan, with a few PRC thrown in. The new ones came from a military tailor shop in Shi Men Ding (Taipei).

Hugh

Edited by Ed_Haynes

• Replies 89
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The round gizzies on top are staff college badges, General staff badges, etc. I love 'em dearly, but there's no such thing as too much bling in the ROC.

Hugh

It's (yet another!) area I'm struggling to gain information on for my site!

I've got obverse pictures which I'll post eventually. Is the 110K resolution adequate for you?

Hugh

Why in the world did I name this thread ROC ODM? Never mind, here's another Indonesian.

INDONESIA ? Star of the Invincible Maha Wira (Bintang Sakti), Silvered EF

Invicta, Intl., 11/00

Why in the world did I name this thread ROC ODM? Never mind, here's another Indonesian.

INDONESIA ? Star of the Invincible Maha Wira (Bintang Sakti), Silvered EF

Invicta, Intl., 11/00

Whoops, should have looked at the top. I picked up the wrong thread. Dolt.

• 4 weeks later...

WOW!!!!

:jumping: :jumping: :jumping:

I am breathless!!

The Taiwanese military website actually has a LOT of information regarding their awards on it- IF you can wade through the subordinate clauses! (Not unlike German actually).

Here are a few of the ODM of ROC (Taiwan). For openers, a predecessor from the Chinese Empire. Unfortunately I don't have the earlier ornate ribbon (much like Laos White elephant):

TAIWAN ? Imperial Order of the Double Dragon, 2nd Type (1900-1911), 2nd Class, 3rd Grade, Neck badge and star in silver/gold and enamel, EF,

Liverpool Medal, 8/05

TAIWAN - Order of Cloud and Banner, 6th Class (Resplendent Banner ?Lieo Deng Yun Huei - Magnus 4), reverse numbered 2156/, inscribed in Chinese

Gordon A. Rust, Wilmington, DE, 1957, - Code: TW 3

Awarded to Capt. Rust for service in the USAAF, flying the Hump in C-47's.

I think we need to be very VERY careful in co-mingling

-- Imperial (pre-1911) Chinese awards

-- Republic of China (1911-50) awards

-- Taiwan ('Republic of China') awards (1950--)

These are VERY different creatures.

Some day, I shall try sorting out various jumbled threads in this sub-forum . . . :banger:

TAIWAN ? Order of the Golden Grain, 3rd Class neck badge in silver gilt and enamel, fine quality, in fitted embossed case of issue with full neck ribbon, EF

Liverpool Medal Co., Liverpool, 9/99, ? Code: TW 5

Here's one I picked up at the Meiji Shrine flea market in Tokyo while in "Magpie" mode. I knew it looked funny, but didn't have any books with me. At the price, I could afford to make a mistake. Based on subsequent research and seeing a lot of the fantasy stuff out of PRC, I've reached my conclusion. Still, it's not so bad for a Chinese copy at the 99 cent store. The ribbon's probably worth a lot more than the medal.

TAIWAN ? Order of the Precious Tripod, 6th class, VF

Meiji Shrine, 3/01, - Code: TW 6

TAIWAN ? Order of the Precious Tripod, 6th class, VF

Meiji Shrine, 3/01, - Code: TW 6

I think we need to be very VERY careful in co-mingling

-- Imperial (pre-1911) Chinese awards

-- Republic of China (1911-50) awards

-- Taiwan ('Republic of China') awards (1950--)

These are VERY different creatures.

Some day, I shall try sorting out various jumbled threads in this sub-forum . . . :banger:

I thought I'd throw the Double Dragon in as a lagniappe. So far as I've noticed, we haven't set up the separate fora for pre- / post 1950. Let's get some pictures out there and let some experts comment and make us all smarter.

Some of these are in Peterson's, but many are not. Most are on the Government website, but very little additional data in English. It's also interesting that many of these decorations are quite large as compared to European / American pieces.

TAIWAN ? Air Force Order of Grand Community (Peterson ? Great Unity ? Ta Tung - Magnus 7), Mint

Taipei (Shi Men Ding), 6/00, ? Code:TW 8

In some cases, The name Peterson assigns is different from the Government website name. I've tried to retain both, as well as a Chinese transliteration provided by a Chinese friend.

TAIWAN ? Medal of the Armed Forces, A -1st Class (Peterson - Land, Sea and Air Forces ? Lu Hai Kuong Jia - Magnus 14)

Taipei (Shi Men Ding), 6/05, ? Code:TW 13

Sorry, the picture here is a bit fuzzy. Colors are also a little funky. I'll do better when I open this case next time.

TAIWAN ?Medal of the Brilliant Light, A - 1st Class (Illustrious Service - Glorious China ? Kuon Hua Jia Yi - Magnus 15), Senior Grade 1st Class in gold, Mint

Taipei (Shi Men Ding), 6/00, ? Code:TW 15