News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Golden Kite Group

coastie

Have been trying to find scanner settings for scanning color stuff in B/W that replicates the weird shifts you get in pre-1960s B/W film emulsions. Any expert opinions?

I know the "airplane boys" have done a lot with WWI-era photos, but they have the extra problem of having had aerial recon film used for snaps of their planes.

I've been secretly thinking that it is the 04-05 medal, for two reasons:

1. The Dark center stripe and lack of side stripes

2. The picture frame suggests turn of the century.

Now back to the Golden Kite and know of two different styles of kites, is this the early one?

Until I can get the papers translated we won't know for sure.

Rick: Can you spot a Taisho symbol anywhere? Whoo was the Emperor before Taisho?

No, I don't think the pix is that good to determine actual symbols or we'd probably not have to have this discussion. My observations are based strictly on the pix shown and example of the 2 awards posted in other threads. Just what my eyes see, unfortunately.

I don't think this discussion in anyway detracts from the rather spectacular nature of the group!

Okay a little experiment:

Here is the Picture in it's normal sepia color

[attachmentid=14188]

now here is the 1904-1905 Medal and 1937 Incident medal converted to sepia and lightened

[attachmentid=14189]

Leaning more to the 04-05 war medal?

• 1 month later...

Hello Gents,

i was just browsing through the forums, as one does to gai knowledge.

The Japanese Document above is indeed about Showa.

I have a Japanese Girlfriend and she is in Japan at present.

I sent this document to her and this is what she says it is.......

about the letter, in Japan, we have to take a census ( the state

[condition] of a country) per 4 years..

Japanese and foreing people live in Japan too!!

so this year is a census year in this Oct..

a census taker can get this letter. my mom is a census taker!!

so she has same letter now.!!

showa is the name of an era.. in Japan, it changes by emperor.

now, it's " heisei" !! because showa emperor died 17 years ago..

we have many the name of an ra.. for example, "taisyo" "edo" "heisei"

"showa"..

can you understand? sorry poor my English.

So there you go!

Oh!, and Laurence...post your document that you want transalated and i'll get her to look at it...

Cheers Gents

Paul

Edited by notned

• 3 months later...

Hi coastie,

my kanji encrypting is not very good but your one is an easy one. Your NCO's name is Yamashita. I marked you the relevant passage in the document (if you look at the "time expired soldiers league" document you can find the same name). His first name is more difficult and I dont want to revile him.

Rick's date encryption was the right way...The reign of Showa starts at 1926, so all dates start with the Showa kanji have to be counted with 1926 as starting date. For example Showa ten means 1936.

The medal is a 1937 campaign medal....

Regards

Matthias

One thing more...due to the shown collar tabs on the photo Mr. Yamashita was a brave Lance Corporal/

Leading Private (or in Japanese: Heicho).

Matthias

Edited by kunsho

• 6 months later...

Some more comments to add, the small document is indeed a document appointing a Census Official in August 1940. The large document is a certificate of appreciation from the Imperial Time Expired Soldier's League in 1939. The first name on the small document is Chiyo which is a lady's name. On the large document the first name is different, I believe it is Hiraji but I may be wrong on the second character. In other words it is a husband and wife group.

None of these documents have anything to do with the Golden Kite and they do not include the normal titles that were used in the name of somebody who held an order. I suspect that the Golden Kite is not from this group, unless it was a posthumous award after 1940.

Regards,

Paul

Edited by Paul L Murphy

Some more comments to add, the small document is indeed a document appointing a Census Official in August 1940. The large document is a certificate of appreciation from the Imperial Time Expired Soldier's League in 1939. The first name on the small document is Chiyo which is a lady's name. On the large document the first name is different, I believe it is Hiraji but I may be wrong on the second character. In other words it is a husband and wife group.

None of these documents have anything to do with the Golden Kite and they do not include the normal titles that were used in the name of somebody who held an order. I suspect that the Golden Kite is not from this group, unless it was a posthumous award after 1940.

Regards,

Paul

Thanks for the added info I knew about the name Chiyo but not the other. The G/K came with the group with no other documents linking it to the others unfortunatey other than it was sold as such.

Yes, this is a Meiji period medal so I think it is safe to say that it does not go with the other items as part of a group. Even on its own it is still a nice early example of a 7th Class Golden Kite.

Best regards,

Paul

Thanks Paul, I was confused as to how the GK related to the group. One could conjecture that this is more a family group as opposed to a single individual but alas that is all it is but conjecture.

Back to the GK: What would be the lastest this one could have been made? Is the box any clue?

This is an early piece with the drooped wings and the third feather as the longest feather on each wing. I would guess Sino Japanese War or Russo Japanese War at the latest. These are much more difficult to find than the later Showa period examples, at this stage the Golden Kite still meant a lot as a bravery award, equivalent to at least a Silver Star in US terms. After 1940 it effectively became the equivalent of the Purple Heart.