News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Royal Navy Trivia.

Just for a bit of fun I thought I would try you guy's here with some RN trivia questions.

The rules are simple:

The first person to respond with the correct answer can ask the next question if they wish? Or defer the question and I can pose one on their behalf.

The person posing the question indicates whether the answer is correct or not and allows for other answers if the first is wrong.

If after a reasonable time period nobody is able to come up with the answer, please provide a hint or clue and a reasonable time after that provide the answer with the next question to maintain the flow.

So here goes the first one....

What was the name of Nelsons first ship?

Edited by Simon F

• Replies 98
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Simon,

Nice idea!! I love the Quiz, Trivia...

Even if the Royal Navy is not really my thing, let's try this :

* The Raisonnable, 64 guns.

HMS Raisonnable was a 64-gun third rate ship of the line of the Royal Navy, named for the ship of the same name captured from the French in 1758. She was built at Chatham Dockyard, launched on 10 December 1768 and commissioned on 17 November 1770 under the command of Captain Maurice Suckling, Horatio Nelson's uncle. Raisonnable was built to the same lines as HMS Ardent, and was one of the seven ships forming the Ardent-class of 1761. Raisonnable was the first ship in which Nelson served. (from Wikipedia).

Cheers.

Ch.

Hi guys

Nelson's band of brothers (act. 1798) were the Royal Navy captains who served under the command of Rear-Admiral Sir Horatio Nelson while he pursued the French expeditionary force led by Napoleon Bonaparte to Egypt, and in the decisive battle of the Nile on 1 August 1798.

Regards Eddie

Hi Christophe

Completely correct :cheers:

Feel free to put forward your own question.

For now to keep it ticking I will ask another.

Who were the original "band of brothers"

Hint: We are still on a Nelsonian theme....

:o Royal Navy Trivia isn't exactly my field either, but i'll have a go

Additional info.

The 'band of brothers' comprised, in order of seniority, James de Saumarez, Thomas Troubridge, Henry d'Esterre Darby (1764??1823), Thomas Louis, John Peyton (1760??1809), Alexander Ball, Samuel Hood, Davidge Gould (1758?1847), Thomas Foley, George Westcott (who died of a wound sustained during the battle), Benjamin Hallowell, Ralph Miller, Thomas Thompson, Edward Berry, and Thomas Hardy.

Regards Eddie

Edited by Taz

Words spoken, on his deathbed, by Admiral Horatio Nelson to Captain Thomas Hardy.

Battle of Trafalgar, 21st October 1805.

Nelson last words were:

"Take care of my dear Lady Hamilton, Hardy, take care of poor Lady Hamilton". He paused then said very faintly, "Kiss me, Hardy". This, Hardy did, on the cheek. Nelson then said, "Now I am satisfied. Thank God I have done my duty".

regards Eddie

Edited by Taz

A little change in the times then,

During one of the bloodiest engagements in naval history.

An enemy Capitain was quoted as saying ?I have not yet begun to fight.?

I'm looking for:

Which war, date and place, name, his ship and against which ship was he fighting.

Regards Eddie.

Still me... Where are the others ? :rolleyes:

The question is related to the naval officer of the American Revolutionary War, John Paul Jones.

Which war ?

American Revolutionary War

Date and place ?

September 23, 1779. Scottish coasts.

Ship ?

The Bonhomme Richard

Against which ship was he fighting ?

Jones struggled with the 44-gun Royal Navy frigate Serapis.

Although his own vessel was burning and sinking, Jones would not accept the British demand for surrender, replying, ?I have not yet begun to fight.? More than three hours later, Serapis surrendered and Jones took command.

Ch.