News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Royal Navy Trivia.

• Replies 98
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully we will get some more interest/involvement when the other chaps visit in next?

Still you guy's are doing a damned fine job :beer:

I'm sure of this !!! Congrats to both of you!!! :jumping:

And bravo to Simon; searching and answering questions make me learning, learning about the Royal Navy... :beer:

Cheers.

Ch.

I'm sure of this !!! Congrats to both of you!!! :jumping:

And bravo to Simon; searching and answering questions make me learning, learning about the Royal Navy... :beer:

Cheers.

Ch.

Thanks Christophe

I was hoping the learning side would be one of the benefits. I will also gain knowledge through the questions asked...

Next question please, I can't wait :lol:

Here is my new question :

Who am I ?

When designed, I have been a real breakthrough in naval building technologies. I have been the fastest battleship in the world at the time of my completion.

During WW1, I became the only battleship ever to sink a submarine directly.

Who am I ?

Ch.

HMS Dreadnought?

Her only significant action was the ramming and sinking of German submarine U-29 skippered by Otto Weddigen on 18 March 1915 ? Dreadnought thus became the only battleship ever to sink a submarine directly.

Edited by Taz

HMS Dreadnought?

Her only significant action was the ramming and sinking of German submarine U-29 skippered by Otto Weddigen on 18 March 1915 ? Dreadnought thus became the only battleship ever to sink a submarine directly.

Good call :cheers:

I came up with:

1916 July - The first effective depth charges were produced, the Type D with 300 lbs TNT, and smaller D* with 120 lbs. An early version was used Mar. 22 by the British Q-ship Farnborough to sink the German sub, the U-68, that became the first casualty of this new weapon.

Nice info Simon, :)

Let's see what Chris says.

Additional info:

On March 18, 1915, the U-29 was caught on the surface by the British battleship HMS Dreadnought in the Pentland Firth. The Dreadnought's guns could not depress low enough to fire at the small submarine, so her captain simply rammed the U-29, crushing it and killing all her crew.

Eddie is the winner!!!! :jumping::jumping: Congrats !!! :beer:

HMS Dreadnought

The sixth HMS Dreadnought of the Royal Navy was a battleship that revolutionized naval power when she entered service in 1906. Dreadnought represented such a marked advance in naval technology that her name came to be associated with an entire generation of battleships, the "dreadnoughts," as well as the class of ships named for her, while the generation of ships she made obsolete became known as "pre-dreadnoughts".

Dreadnought was the first battleship of her era to have a uniform main battery, rather than having a few large guns complemented by a heavy secondary battery of somewhat smaller guns. She was also the first capital ship to be powered by steam turbines, making her the fastest battleship in the world at the time of her completion.

And you have already told the story of the submarine...

More to read here :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Dreadnought_%281906%29

Cheers.

Ch.

Thanks Christophe & Simon,

This was a very interesting question to me because Kapit?nleutnant Otto Eduard Weddigen was born in Herford, the town where I live right now.

Edited by Taz

Just a little off the trivia topic sorry,

Otto Weddigen was awarded the Iron Cross and, after sinking the HMS Hawke and some merchant ships, Prussia's highest military order, the Pour le M?rite. He became one of only six non-Bavarians to receive the Knight's Cross of the Military Order of Max Joseph, Bavaria's highest military honor. He also received the highest military honors of the other two kingdoms of the German Empire, the Knight's Cross of Saxony's Military Order of St. Henry and the Knight's Cross of W?rttemberg's Military Merit Order.

Ok, here is another question for you,

I saw service in four great wars, in addition to six major naval battles, my enemys called me the "golden devil"

Please name the ship, wars, battles and more specific her first engagement.

Good luck! :D

Regards Eddie.

Ps: I haven't seen the grave no, i'll see if i can visit it though

Edited by Taz

The Sovereign of the seas, later renamed the Royal Sovereign 1500 tons, 3 decks and 102 guns, designed and built at the Deptford yard in 1637. Her first engagement was the Battle of Kentish Knock during the First Dutch War on 28 September 1652 when it is alleged that Sovereign of the Seas destroyed a Dutch ship with a single broadside.

The First, Second and Third Dutch Wars and the English Succession War, in addition to six major naval battles.

1666 June 1-4

Participated in the Four Days' Battle against a Dutch fleet.

1666 July 25

Participated in the Battle of St. James's Day.

Participated in the Battle of Texel agains a Dutch fleet.

1673 August 11

Participated in the Battle of Solebay agains the Dutch Navy.

1690 June 30

Participated in the Battle of Beachy Head against a French fleet.

1692 May 19

Participated in the Battle of Barfleur against a French fleet.

1696 January 27

Accidently burnt while laid up at Chatham.

Edited by Simon F

My primary weapon is the torpedo.

During WWII I had a significant role to play during the battle of Taranto and in sinking the Bismark.

What am I and which branch of the Royal Navy do I represent?

Edited by Simon F

My primary weapon is the torpedo.

During WWII I had a significant role to play during the battle of Taranto and in sinking the Bismark.

What am I and which branch of the Royal Navy do I serve in?

I would say I'm a Fairey Swordfish torpedo bomber? Naval Air Squadron/ Fleet Air Arm of the Royal Navy

The image shows the HMS Ark Royal flight deck being prepared for her 810 sqdn Swordfish to attack the German Battleship Bismarck in 1941

Regards Eddie

Edited by Taz

Blimey.....I have no idea which establishments used to be ships.

Another possibility is that you are HMS Belfast which is a museum

Or

HMS Bristol which is tied up at HMS Excellent, used for accommodation and training?