News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Individual Thai ODM

Hugh

Here is the Thai section of my collection. First, the list (Names in some cases are approximate as provided by Thai friends). Order of precedence in accordance with an exhaustive Thai-language medals book, the title of which I can'[t even read! Maddening!

Knight Grand Cordon (Special Class) of the Most Exalted Order of the White Elephant, in case of issue, Shoulder sash w/badge and star, Mint

Bangkok, 1985

Knight Commander (Second Class) of the Most Noble Order of the Crown of Thailand, Neck badge and star

Bangkok, 1985

Order of Chula Klom Klao (Member ? Third Class, Lower Grade), Rama 5 1868-1910, Silver and Enamel, EF

Invicta, Ottawa

Honourable Order of Rama, Member of ?The Rama Medal for Gallantry in Action? 1918, 5th Class medal, Silvered, NEF

Invicta, Ottawa

Member (Fifth Class) of the Most Exalted Order of the White Elephant?, (old variant?), VF, in case of issue with royal arms

Patty and Friends, St. Petersburg

Indochina Combat Service Medal, 1941, Mint

Bangkok, 8/2004

Medal for East Asia War (WWII), Mint

Bangkok, 1991

Medal for Korea

Bangkok, August 2004,

Medal for Viet Nam, Mint

Bangkok, 1985,

Freemen Safeguarding Medal Class 1, with Olive Branches

Bangkok, 1985

Indochina Home Front Service Medal, (WW II Interior Non-combat)

Bangkok, 1985

East Asia War Home Front Service Medal (WW II Interior Non-combat)

Bangkok, 1991

Border Service Medal

Bangkok, 1985

THAILAND - Chakra Mala Medal, 15 Years Svc.

Bangkok, 1985

The Coronation Medal (Silver) (Rama XIX 1950)

Bangkok, 1991

The 25th Buddhist Century Celebration Medal

Bangkok, 1991

Silver Jubilee Medal

Bangkok, 1985

HRH Prince Vajiralongkorn?s Investiture of the Crown Prince, EF

Bangkok, 1991

Serving Free People Medal, Mint

Bangkok, 1991

Appointment of Princess Sirindhorn (Maha Chakri) as Crown Princess, Mint

Bangkok, 6/00

Commemorative Medal on the Occasion of the Rattanankosin Bicentennal , EF

Bangkok, 1991

THAILAND - Red Cross Reward Medal

Bangkok, 1991

50 Year Jubilee of the Reign of King Bumibhol Adulhedj

Gift of MG Paiboon Kanchanapaiboon, RTA, 9/96

THAILAND ? 72nd Anniversary of Reign of King Bumibhol Adulhedj, Mint

Bangkok, 6/00

THAILAND - Knight Grand Cordon (Special Class) of the Most Exalted Order of the White Elephant, in case of issue, Shoulder sash w/badge and star, Mint

Bangkok, 1985

This baby comes in a beautiful velvet case with a magnificent gold garuda on the top. You'll see him in pictures of the most senior Thai generals / admirals.

Hello Hugh,

What a magnificent collection and what lovely pictures.

Many congratulations.

Cheers,

James

Thanks, James, campaign medals to follow.

Please note that I tried to delete Post # 6 (wrong picture), but I haven't figured out how to do that either either. Perhaps a moderator will help out.

Best,

Hugh

Thanks, James, campaign medals to follow.

Please note that I tried to delete Post # 6 (wrong picture), but I haven't figured out how to do that either either. Perhaps a moderator will help out.

Best,

Hugh

Done.

Edited by Ed_Haynes

Isn't post #6 still wrong? It looks to me to be the Thai Order of the Crown (old version), not the order of the White Elephant...

/Mike

Good eye! I'd love to claim that I was just testing you all, but no, just keyboard fatigue. I

ll go back and correct it. Thanks.

Hugh

Indochina Combat Service Medal, 1941, Mint, Bangkok, 8/2004

This and the following medals for World War II, Korea and Viet Nam are listed in my reference book as Bravery medals. Without a Thai-literate person, I have no further details.

Edited by Hugh

THAILAND ? Freemen Safeguarding Medal Class 1, with Olive Branches

I've also heard this referred to as Protection of Liberation andalso as Defender of Freedom. Established in 1969, it is awarded to military or civil personnel for bravery against communist insurgents. The first class is also apparently awarded for wounds or posthumously.

It is awarded in two classes. The first class is shown here.

The second class has two degrees - one with a stylized bomb explosion on the ribbon (for outstanding service in dangerous conditions), and one with a plain ribbon (for service in the struggle against insurgents).

THAILAND ? East Asia War Home Front Service Medal (WW II Interior Non-combat)

(Don't know the difference in criteria between this and the preceding post. Please note that the medal in the preceding post has a top bar very similar to this one; it has just turned its face away for the photo. Shy, I guess.)

THAILAND - Chakra Mala Medal, 15 Years Svc.

I'll quote shamelessly from Brian Wolfe's post in a separate thread.

This medal is the Chakra Mala Medal established in the reign of King Chulalongkorn Rama V the Great, around 2415BE (1872AD) to give to soldiers or police officers who served the country for more than 15 years.

Obverse: The Royal Chula Mongkut (Minor Crown) with regalia (emblem of H.M. King Chulalongkorn Rama V)

Reverse: The decorated White Elephant (symbol of Siam) facing left with the Thai alphabet, "S.P.P.M.C.5" abbreviation of "Somdej Pra Poramindra Maha Chulalongkorn the V".

Ribbon: Red with blue, yellow, greenstripes 30mm. width.

The decree requires that this medal can be recalled, and in case of return, a fine of 932 Baht must be submitted.

Size: dia. 38 mm.

Weight: 25 grams

Reference: Royal Thai Order and Decoration, The Secretariat Office of the Office of the Prime Minister, Thailand.

I have found other references that state the Obverse is the elehpant and the reverse is the Royal Regalia. While I like the look of the elephant the Royal regalia is most likely the logical obverse. Another source states this was awarded for 25 years devotional service in the civil service. Perhaps the criteria has changed somewhat over the years but the Office of the Prime Minister's criteria holds a lot of weight in my mind. Also this particular medal is said to have probably been awared in the 1970s which I tend to think is accurate.

UNQUOTE

My Thai reference book shows the obverse as the Royal regalia. Not sure of the significance of the elephant clasp on the ribbon. Comments welcome.