News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Cpl. Frank Brown, RFA, MM

Here's the Military Medal to Cpl. Frank Brown which Leigh and Graham have so graciously been researching in the thread below. I suspect that someone will now move those documents into this thread and make it available for you all to have a whack at it. Many thanks. I'll post the campaign medals tomorrow. They're all mounted behind a glass frame, so the quality won't be much.

Thanks to all,

Hugh

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=29638&st=40&#

Service Record (some of the 19 pages are simply duplicates of others)

Name: Frank Brown

Birth Year: abt 1892

Birth Parish: Lewisham

Birth County: Kent

Regiment Name: General Service

Regiment Number: 10439

Document Year: 1914

Number of Images: 19

Frank hasn't divulged his middle name of Oswald, by the look of it.

A market gardener aged 22 years & 116 days, he has attested for service at Gosport, Hampshire, in September 1914 (possibly the 2nd? It's hard to make out).

He's signed on for "General Service" rather than for service in any particular unit.

Edited by leigh kitchen

Service towrads engagement starts 3rd September 1914, joined at Hilsea, 4th September.

Postings, initially to the Royal Horse Artillery, then on 14th November to 72nd Brigade Royal Field Artillery

Promotion to Bombardier (the Royal Artillery equivalent to Corporal), he's then transferred to a different Battery, I think, & become an Acting Bombardier.

Transfer to the Reserve & discharge.

Hilsea is at Portsmouth, Hampshire, & is now an industrial & residential area, the "Hilsea Lines" were defences built in the 18th & 19th centuries to defend the naval base of Portsmouth.

The Royal Artillery was responsible for manning the Lines ffrom 1860, In 1875 the Lines were equipped with the Moncrief Disappearing Gun, the recoil of the 7 ton weapon forced it down into its gun pit for reloading.

Edited by leigh kitchen

Just over a month after discharge to the Reserve, he's stating that he's staying temporarily at the Edmonton address - he's there in August 1921, presumably, as that's where his Victory Medal was sent.

He gives his unit as Y/42nd TMB - Trench Mortar Battery.

Edited by leigh kitchen

Confusion over Browns correct army number - he says that he only ever had one number, which is what his MIC shows.

He mentions his MM being gazetted in October 1916, & that he claimed disabilty through being gassed in September 1917, & draws attention to his correct address - the Upper Edmonton one which has so far appeared on all of his corrspondence.

Edited by leigh kitchen

Entries re having been gassed & admitted to hospitals.

The 3rd entry - the word "Brother" appears. Frank Browns brother is given as his next of kin on his Service Record, so does this signfy that his next of kin has been notified due to the severity of Franks gassing?

Entry re 3rd Echelon (presumably 3rd Echelon HQ) authorising award of MM - 30/8/16?

Entry re address - "Mari"? (Marriage?) - the Upper Edmonton address

Edited by leigh kitchen

Service in France, reference to the Miltary Medal being awarded for "Bravery in the Field", London Gazette 21/10/16.

Next of kin given as brother James, at the Upper Edmonton address, but what's the surname? Does'nt look like "Brown".

The 1891 & 1901 Census give James Brown as a brother to Frank - always assuming I've got the right Frank O Brown in the census records.

Edited by leigh kitchen

The 1901 Census - could be our man, Frank O Brown, aged 9 years, brother James T Brown, aged 10 years:

Name: Frank O Brown

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1892

Relation: Son

Father's Name: James T

Mother's Name: Eliza

Where born: Lewisham, Kent, England

Civil Parish: Christchurch

Ecclesiastical parish: Christchurch

County/Island: London

Registration district: St Saviour Southwark

Sub registration district: Christchurch, Southwark

ED, institution, or vessel: 2

Household schedule number: 2

Household Members: Name Age

Eliza Brown 35

Frank O Brown 9

James T Brown 40

James W Brown 10

Millicent L Brown 12

Elizabeth Jones 75

The second address refers to the above family:

Edited by leigh kitchen

And a check of the 1891 Census shows the family living in the same area, at 61, Cressingham Rd, Blackheath, but without the unborn Frank & without his maternal grandmother living with the family yet.

Living with them is a Kate Daw, (reads like "Day" rather than "Daw" on the scan of the original document)14 years. Her relationship to the head of household, James T Brown, an iron plate worker, is given as "serv", her occupation as "general domestic servant".

James T Brown

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1861

Relation: Head

Spouse's Name: Eliza

Where born: Southwark, London, England

Civil Parish: Lewisham

Ecclesiastical parish: St Stephens

Town: Blackheath

County/Island: London

Street address:

Condition as to marriage:

Education:

Registration district: Lewisham

Sub registration district: Lee

ED, institution, or vessel: 4

Household Members: Name Age

Eliza Brown 25

James T Brown 30

James W Brown 8 months

Millicent L Brown 2

Kate R Daw 14

Leigh,

The unit he's finally discharged from is actually 'Y'/42 Medium Trench Mortar Battery and not 7/42 T.M.B.. If I remember correctly the M.T.M. Batteries were lettered, not numbered and these medium mortars were manned by men of the Royal Field Artllery . In this case 'Y'/42 M.T.M.B. belong to the 42nd(East Lancashire)Division, which was a first line Territorial Division. The other two batteries were 'X'/42 & 'Z'/42.

The Light Trench Mortar Batteries of a Division were manned entirely by the infantry and numbered after the Brigade that they served.

Edited by leigh kitchen
    Mistake - meant to quote in reply.

Wow - you guys have really taken off with this! Scares me a little when I think what might be in my Navy record!

Thanks for a great job. I'll have to digest all of this and get it put together on my hard disk.

Best,

Hugh

Leigh,

The unit he's finally discharged from is actually 'Y'/42 Medium Trench Mortar Battery and not 7/42 T.M.B.. If I remember correctly the M.T.M. Batteries were lettered, not numbered and these medium mortars were manned by men of the Royal Field Artllery . In this case 'Y'/42 M.T.M.B. belong to the 42nd(East Lancashire)Division, which was a first line Territorial Division. The other two batteries were 'X'/42 & 'Z'/42.

The Light Trench Mortar Batteries of a Division were manned entirely by the infantry and numbered after the Brigade that they served.

Thanks, I read it as "7" but was'nt sure - shows what happens when you're too lazy to pick up a book & find out....

I've corrected the entry I made earlier.