News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Cpl. Frank Brown, RFA, MM

Nice......

Hugh, I can see the reason for mounting representative medals in a particular order, but to me it makes sense to spend a few quid on waif & stray Stars, BWMs & VMs to fill those gaps & to keep the actual groups together.

I dare'nt split up anything I have as if they survive my wifes constant threats to build a bonfire they'd end up split up forever when she simply gave the things away, literally or virtually after I kicked the bucket.

Brit WWI collectors would love to have a group like Frank Browns.

Absolutely down to you, but I'd mount them together rather than split'em up for display purposes - this is not the start of a persuade Hugh to mount groups together campaign by the way - nice display of medals mate.

A Light Trench Mortar Battery "No. 1"of 42nd Division - in this case a 10th Bn Manchester Regiment man of 126th Bde Light TMB, with Stokes Mortar.

Not Browns TMB, but the illustration shows the TMB blue worsted grenade badge & typical dress circa 1918.

Illustrations from British Territorial Units 1914 - 18, by Ray Westlake & Mike Chappell, (Osprey 1991).

Nice......

Hugh, I can see the reason for mounting representative medals in a particular order, but to me it makes sense to spend a few quid on waif & stray Stars, BWMs & VMs to fill those gaps & to keep the actual groups together.

I dare'nt split up anything I have as if they survive my wifes constant threats to build a bonfire they'd end up split up forever when she simply gave the things away, literally or virtually after I kicked the bucket.

Brit WWI collectors would love to have a group like Frank Browns.

Absolutely down to you, but I'd mount them together rather than split'em up for display purposes - this is not the start of a persuade Hugh to mount groups together campaign by the way - nice display of medals mate.

Of course you're absolutely right, but... It all started decades ago when I started displaying all the medals in order of precedence right out of Gordon's, and the Mercantile Marine intervened. As a Brit, you'll surely understand how, once a "tradition" is started, it goes on forever, no matter how silly it becomes. I'll take another look when I open up the frame.

The good news is that my wife, bless her, is very understanding of my aberration, and even likes some of them a great deal. That's why the frames are all over the walls of our condo - well, not in the living room. I've tentatively agreed with Jeff Floyd that he'll auction the lot when I kick the bucket, so they won't get into the trash. The work that you and others have put into research will make the group much more meaningful to the eventual buyer. Just give it a few more years...

Thanks again for all your help and guidance.

Hugh

Edited by Hugh