News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

ODM of Surakarta, Indonesia

Hugh

Kasenapaten, comes from word "senopati" which means the high commander (usually refers to the Sultan/King as supreme leader and commander)

It's great to have a Bahasa speaker on the Forum!

order of loyalty 3rd class Kraton Kasunanan Surakarta with original case, from SISKS Paku Buwono X

Windu,

Many thanks for posting this rare decoration.

Is the ribbon correct or is it a new replacement with the ribbon for the Bintang Kraton decoration?

I ask because I have this photograph of Prince Soejono Handayaningrat from the 1950's wearing a higher class of the same decoration, but the ribbon is dark with either white (or a light colour) edge stripes. Here is a blow up of the two decorations he is wearing.

Cheers,

James

hi james hoard,

i have a picture of loyalty 1st class with red-white-red-white red as same as your photo above and a also have the picture of 2nd and 3rd class that have white-red-white-red-white ribbon as same as my picture above..

oh, and please be careful when you buy surakarta odm, many of them bad repair, or bad repaint..

And sometime the seller expect too much from foreigner (i ever see a poor condition east dutch indies copper medal priced more than $5000, and i'm sure that the fair value is not more than $40!)

And till now there many unclear information about the odm..

asking the expert like James will be better before you decide to buy.. :)

oh, and please be careful when you buy surakarta odm, many of them bad repair, or bad repaint..

And sometime the seller expect too much from foreigner (i ever see a poor condition east dutch indies copper medal priced more than $5000, and i'm sure that the fair value is not more than $40!)

And till now there many unclear information about the odm..

asking the expert like James will be better before you decide to buy.. :)

Dear Windu

Thanks for both your posts.

Your descriptions of the ribbons may suggest that each class had a different arrangement of colours. Are the lower class ribbons in your pictures exactly the same for both in terms of arrangement of the colours, width of stripes, location of stripes, etc or slightly different?

Could you please tell us what is the Javanese term for loyalty, and thus the full official name for the order in Javanese?

I am by no means an expert. There is very little information on these orders in Western sources, so I am learning all the time. You are, however, quite right about values and quality as can be seen from inverted decoration I posted much earlier. The restoration looked like it was merely painted rather than enamelled.

Cheers,

James

James,

Yes, i assumed that the classes have impact on ribbon's color, i have the picture of a set 5th class (main medal, medium, and miniature) with blue-red-blue-red-blue ribbon, i wanted to post it yesterday but the size of the picture is too big here..

now i'm trying to get contact with Kasunanan Palace to obtain more information about their odm..

I hope i can get it soon.. :)

Loyalty in Javanese term is 'Kasatyan' (comes from the word 'satya'), in Bahasa it becomes 'Kesetiaan'..

Edited by kapten_windu

This is a terrific thread. I hope we'll see more, including the regulations if you ever get them, Windu. .

How many rulers in the islands issued their own ODM?

Hugh

James: you're welcome.. :)

Hugh: i still trying to get contact with the palace to get more info (but it's hard because the conflict that happen on Kasunanan succession and issue that some of the relic ODM was lost!)

Here in Java island (as i knew) there's still 6 palace ruler:

1. Ngayogyakarta Hadiningrat (Jogja): Sri Sultan Hamengkubuwono

2. Pura Pakualaman (Jogja): Sri Paduka Pakualam

3. Kasunanan Surakarta: SISKS Paku Buwono

4. Mangkunegaran Surakarta: Kanjeng Gusti Pangeran Aryo Adipati (KGPAA) Mangkunegara

5. Kasepuhan Cirebon

6. Kanoman Cirebon

Number 1-4 was formed Mataram Sultanate at past, but after a rebellion, Mataram was divided (by politic: divide et impera) becomes Ngayogyakarta and Surakarta, 2 years later each divided again, so it becomes 4..

Number 5-6 was formed Kacirebonan sultanate before divided by Dutch..

Edited by kapten_windu

each ruler issued their own ODM, but almost no information about them!

So sad, almost no one care about it here..! :speechless:

What a great research project when you have time. You're on the ground there, you have the language and cultural background, and you're young enough to get it done eventually. You'd find some appreciative readers here.

Hugh

again, collecting and searching information about the ODM of the ruler in Indonesia is very challenging..

One unique fact: Paku Buwono X was know very interested in ODM, he's very proud wearing so many ODM..

You can see him in the photo on my post before..

This is a terrific thread. I hope we'll see more, including the regulations if you ever get them, Windu. .

How many rulers in the islands issued their own ODM?

Hugh,

There is little or no information available either from local or Dutch medal collectors and even from the palaces themselves.

Since I collect photographs of rulers, I do see local decorations featuring in them from time to time. From these portraits of the 1930's and 1940's, I know that the following Indonesian rulers had their own orders and decorations:

- Surakarta (Java)

- Pontianak (Kalimantan)

- Sambas (Kalimantan)

- Langkat (Sumatra)

- Siak (Sumatra)

Yogyakarta (Java) has decorations but I gather that they are only for the Sultan himself and not distributed to other members of his family or subjects. They are called 'pusaka', which means heirloom, and thus form part of the Sultan's official regalia.

Cheers,

James

List of Order received by SISKS Paku Buwono X:

• GC of the Orders of the Netherlands Lion (21.1.1932)
    • GC Orange-Nassau (mil 10.5.1922),
    • XV Long Service Medal of the Netherlands,
    • GC of the Orders of the White Elephant (1929),
    • GC Crown of Siam (6.7.1896) of Siam,
    • GC Royal Order of Cambodia,
    • GC Wendish Crown of Mecklenburg (1910),
    • GC Nishan al-Iftikhar of Tunis,
    • GC Christ of Portugal (5.1.1929),
    • GC Dragon of Annam,
    • GC Leopold (c 1935)
    • GC Leopold II of Belgium (mil 1920),
    • GC Merit of Austria (1926),
    • GC North Star of Sweden (1932)
    • GC Star of Anjuan of France (1936),
    • GC Crown of Italy
    • GC Brilliant Jade (second grade) of China
    • GC Sharifian Order of Alaoui of Morocco (1936),
    • GC 1st class of the Orders of Khim Khanh of Annam
    • GC 2nd class with star of the Orders of St Michael of Bavaria, Red Eagle of Prussia, and Franz Josef of Austria,
    • Cdr 1st class of the Orders of Henry the Lion of Brunswick (1910),
    • Commander Dannebrog of Denmark
    • Commander Black Star of Benin of France,
    • GO of the Order of the Bust of Bolivar of Venezuela, and the
    • Order of the Double Dragon 2nd class 2nd grade of China