News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

ODM of Surakarta, Indonesia

Hugh

James,

The Pontianak, Sambas, Sambaliung, Siak and Langkat Decorations are from the period before these States were abolished,

some of these Decorations can be seen in photos of their former Ruler's on the "ROYAL ARK" website.

JDM

Hello Gentlemen,

It's very nice to add a lot of information concerning the Sultanate of Surakarta, but without picture it's a bit boring.

I had the occasion to purchase this neck badge, that was said to me is for Surakarta (and the case perfectly fits).

I know there will be members that will objects the crown in center look like the crown in center of Kelantan Order, and also on some Federal Malaysia Order (and believe me I know Orders & Medals of Malaysia very well), by the way it was produced in Malaysia.

Actually I do not know if this silver gilt neck badge is from Surakarta or from another Sultanate in Indonesia, but it was said to me it is.

It's diameter is 68 millimeters.

Regards.

Emmanuel

In january I've been to Medan, no medals in the Mainum Palace from the Deli Sultanate, but I've been to Langkat that is located 60 kilometers north of Medan. A very small museum there, but no medals either (the Palace of Langkat has been burned in 1946 or 47). Later I've been in other part of Sumatra, in an hotel I catch a magazine with an article on the Sultan of Langkat, and with photo of awards of medals. It's in bahasa indonesian, so if Windu could help, it would be great .

Emmanuel

Others photo of the Sultan of Langkat (not related to the article which I mention above, but same kind of ceremony).

If anyone could find photo with close up view, that would be great. It has taken me a lot of time....

Emmanuel

In an auction in 2012 I have purchased this medal, that is a Langkat Sultanate Medal from before WWII.

A similar medal was in the catalogues from Klenau auction in the 1970ies (with a similar ribbon).

It's a small metal gilt medal, diameter is 21 millimeter.

This medal is also on the web site of Christopher Buyer (Royal Ark).

I went to Langkat in the hope that there would be this medal in one of the showcase of their small museum (very close to the mosque), and there would be the actual ribbon. But no medals in their museum, actually it's good this museum (even if small) exist, because it shows artefacts from the Langkat history before WWII).

If anyone can add some thought , it would be great.

Emmanuel

Emmanuel,

Thanks for the interesting "Surakarta" decoration with the Kelantan style crown.

There is a sort of pseudo set of decorations supposedly from Surakarta. But actually the whole show is run by a group of Malaysian 'gong hunters'. Everything is done according to Malaysian norms - titles, classes, names, insignia. Hardly anything Javanese about them. So I am not surprised with the appearance of this insignia.

Cheers,

James

Hello Gentlemen,

I got an email from Christopher Buyer, he's very very busy at the moment, so I take the liberty to post his reply concerning the Sultanate of Langkat . He aslo send me a much better picture of the Medal they now award.. Thanks Christopher :

Hello Emmanuel,

I saw your post on the Gentlemen's Military Interest Club about Langkat.

Langkat now has a medal known as the "Darjah Kehormatan Kesultan Negeri Langkat". That would translate as something like the "Decoration of Honour of the Sultan of the State of Langkat". I think it was first bestowed 20.3.2013 and was given to all those who received a tradition 'galar' title, irrespective of what it was. The medal is an eight pointed star, 'square on diamond' suspended from a medal ribbon by a ring and eye from a yellow ribbon with green edge stripes, and three narrow stripes of red-white red down the centre. I do not think the ribbon is silk. Looks like some artificial fabric. The following gentlemen were, for example, invested with these titles and received this decoration on the same date:

Haji Tengku ‘Abdu’l Hamid as Tengku Kejuruan Sri Setia Raja.

Haji Tengku Syah Djohan, Kejuruan as Tengku Kejuruan Sri Bija di-Raja of Stabat

Haji Tengku Haidir Soelaiman as Tengku Kejuruan Sri Amar Setia, of Bingei

Haji Tengku Alfit Hashim Saktishahdan bin Tengku Abdul Murad as Tengku Kejuruan Indra Pahlawan, of Bahorok

... several others

Also , and this is the end of his message , the sashes are NOt awards, but kind of "Office Rank Sign"

In this picture you see how it is worn by some of the recipients. Right chest seems to be the usual way, even though the lady is wearing it on her left. The sashes have nothing to do with the medal. They go with specific 'galar' titles for the regional principalities within Langkat.

Thanks so much Christopher, all the credit goes to you.

Emmanuel

Notes on Indonesian and Malaysian:

"Darjah" = Order

"Kesultan" should be just Sultan to mean SULTAN

"Kesultanan", i.e. add "Ke" to the word Sultan, and end in "an" = SULTANATE

"Negeri" = State.

So "DARJAH KEHOMATAN KESULTANAN NEGERI LANGKAT" = Order of Honour of the Sultanate & State of Langkat

JDM

The actual words on the Badge are as I expected, except the "R" was missed out,

and now should read =

DARJAH KEHORMATAN KESULTANAN NEGERI LANGKAT

The Order of Honour of the Sultanate & State of Langkat

Ribbon approx. 32mm green, yellow, red, white, red, yellow & green (2.5/6/5/5/5/6/2.5mm)

JDM

• 2 months later...
    • 3 months later...

Name located for a Pontianak Sultanate Order.

The Bintang Dubus 1819

("Dubus" was the name of a Governor - General of the Dutch East Indies)

PHOTO 1, Sultan Syarif Yusuf (reigned 1872 to 1895) wore a Collar:

This consists of a Collar probably in gold, composed of a Jawi script (Jawi is the Malay term for an Arabic script)

and the Emblem of Palembang - (an upright star & crescent).

The Collar-Badge is a crowned 12-pointed star, set with eight small star & crescent emblems (4 set in the base

of the points & 4 between the points). The central medallion of the Badge has a 5-pointed reversed star (2 points upwards)

& crescent (sideways on the left side of the medallion). A small border is on the outside of the medallion.

The Star cannot se seen on this photo (see below). The Sash, 100mm is probably green (the pavilion of the Coat of Arms

was green, the State colours are golden-yellow & green).

PHOTO 2, The Collar worn by Sultan Syarif Muhammad (reigned 1895 to his execution by the Japanese in 1944) is similar to the one above,

except that the Collar-Badge is without a crown, the B&W photo is not very clear.

A later photo (No. 3) shows Sultan Muhammad wearing 3 Dutch & 1 Surakarta medals (in the usual place) a medal-ribbon hanging from his waist,

3 Stars on his right side, and the Bintang Dubus Star (below the main set of medals - the wrong side upwards), this is similar to the Collar Badge

in Sultan Yusuf's photo, but minus the crown. He also wears 2 Sashes, one over his right shoulder (the green Bintang Dubus Sash) and

another Sash around his waist (Spanish-bandana style) this is a dark colour with a darker stripe nearer the edge & a lighter edge stripe

the width of this is 100mm & about 4/7/78/7/4mm.

Below can be seen a Sash-Badge belonging to the Bintang Dubus. The colours of the diplomatic uniform is dark-blue with orange oak leaves ect.

Another photo (No. 4) of Sultan Muhammad (wearing a fez, with a large golden crown (of 5 arches) attached to the fez), wearing the dark-blue &

orange oak leaf uniform) shows him wearing a Sash under his coat, this looks like being green with a yellow stripe towards the side, a narrow green

stripe near the edge, plus a yellow edge, this Sash looks like being 3/0.5/10.5/72/10.5/0.5/3mm wide.

JDM

Photo No 2:

I have just found another photo of No. 2 (Sultan Muhammad) taken about the same period, but not at the same time,

showing him wearing the same Collar as Photo No. 1 with a crowned Collar-Badge. No. 2 photo must have the crown hidden from view.

JDM

• 1 month later...
    • 2 years later...