News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Just in, one of those tiny, thin, fragile plastic ribbon bars. I fear that if I blow on it it will dissolve away.

Pretty straightforward, but what is the last one? Has something obvious fallen through my Swiss-cheese brain-holes? The stripes are greener than they look in the scan.

Guest Rick Research

Well! You've got the earliest-- and I must say, the best preserved-- one of these I've ever seen.

Last is the 1948 Armed Forces Jubilee.

Now MAYBE he was dumped out before the 1958, and maybe that dates from before the 1965 Victory Jubilee.

So it could, from what is here, date 1948-65 IF he was out of the military before February 1958, or 1948-58 if he was on active duty.

I'd say probably 10 years MMM and one Red Star for 15 years and one "real" one.

Nasty zink garden watering can reverse?

• 1 month later...

and a serie of duty officers...

I'd like to discuss them. They could not be legit, but I honnestly believe them to be so. I think we could discuss various hypothesis about them.

the 1st left: red star and medals for military accompishments for a 1960-70' officer?

the 2nd left: a full career begining just after the war (full serie of military jubilees), a VoG and BM for WW2 accomplishment, a red star for 10 years and then 2nd and 1st class of irreprochable service?

the 3rd on right: a classic short bar for a 70-80' officer?

thanks for yours opinions! ;)

Guest Rick Research

What are the cloth backings like? USUALLY if they are on UNIFORM material which matches what they were worn on, the ones that I have seen have been good, while most of the Frankenstein fakes are on felt. But there are original felt bvacked ones and fake uniform backed ones, so it is as tricky as German ribbon bars.

I too have no idea what the always-last "Victory Over Germany" ribbon is supposed to represent. Maybe the 1970 Victory Jubilee.... or maybe one of the similar badge designs from the Soviet War Veterans Committees?

We need to find a living veteran wearing this and have him TELL us what he means by the ribbon there!

The last three ribbon bars:

Top left certainly looks plausible for a VERY well decorated Afghanistan veteran before the late 1980s Warrior Internationalist and Grateful Afghan badges were bestowed.

The lower left one has 15 and 20 years Armed Forces Long Service ribbons, which means his Military Merit Medal was for 10 years service by 1955 and that is a "real" Red Star awarded for something rnot just long service.

The ribbon bar on the right is a typical long and :sleep: career officer's who went nowhere and did nothing. I've got an old thread someplace in the back pages about such ribbon bars.

ok Rick, thanks a lot for your - as always fast ;) - input! I had forgoten BM was for 10 years service and Lenin for 25 years.

About the first veteran ribon bar , I believe to have been extremly lucky as it has a clear history streaming directly from the veteran to Paul's pocket, and it bears a suvorov 3rd class ribon... a group nearly identical to one I own.

• 3 months later...

And here some new ribbon bars. Nothing fancy but I like them and they are all directly from the owners, so I can be sure - they are not messed up!

Sergeant Robert Pohlasalu

Served in 8th Estonian Rifle Corps as a scaut. Fought in Leningrad front. After WW2 worked in police ([милиция) in the city of Haapsalu as a distric comisar. Missing Order of the Glory 3rd class on the set.

Nice classical Soviet ribbon bar.

09015673436368_o.jpg

Edited by Noor

Major Kalju M?gi

He had much more awards but ribbon bars consist only three of them.

He joined to Soviet police 1940. During WW2 served in far east Siberia. After the war served as a RSO city of Haapsau police commander second assistant.

Medal " For Military Service" got for "war against bandits".

09025639162a8f_l.jpg

Marine Mihail Panov

During WW2 served Baltic Fleet (Дважды Краснознамённый Балтийский флот) and North Sea Fleet. Got Red Star for defending Leningrad. Medal of Usakov for some Soviet small operation near Norway coast 1945!

0902561152acc2_l.jpg

• 3 months later...

I don't like the bar above. The missmatched ribbons sizes don't feel good to me although there is a possibility that they are legit.

This one came in today from Riga, Latvia. The borders on the first ribbon are almost totally faded but I think I can detect a hint of yellow remaining making it almost certainly a CSM. I can't imagine what else it could be, possibley a BM but I doubt it highly. The second ribbon is almost assuredly a VoG and the third, without doubt is a Berlin medal meaning that this couldn't probably be worn much after the end of 1947.

This has got an interesting thick plastic coating (which has lots of wear to it) and it seems to have been melted or heated at least around the corners to fasten it in place.

Also, and most important to me is, the tabs of the ribbons on the reverse have no scratches on them which, to me, indicates that it hasn't been messed with at some point after 1947.

Therefore, IMHO, this is a rarely seen pre-1948 ribbon bar for a common soldier; Ivan Frontnovik if you will. There were tens if not hundreds of thousands of these bars being worn in 1947. Many have been lost and most have been added to as the soldier or veteran was given more baubles from the Soviet State for his or her valient service. But this, I think, was worn for a very short period of time between 1944 and 1948.

Guest Rick Research

Very interesting ribbon bar, Eric. :Cat-Scratch: I have never seen that heavy and permanent a plastic covering either. Usually it's that now-brittle thin sheeting that seems to have been more anti-rain than anything else.

But it could certainly date as recently as the early 1960s, for a veteran discharged at war's end. No 1948 or 1958 doesn't necessarily indicate age, because a non-career wartime draftee wouldn't have gotten anything commemorative until the 1965 Jubilee.

• 3 weeks later...

Eric, regarding my bars on this threat I do not have bad feelings about them because the source, where they came from (straight from the vets)

here is my new random pick up last week.

Looks like war period bar with:

Red Banner

Red Banner

Order of the Patriotic war 1st class

Red Star

10574319db0b95_l.jpg

• 2 months later...

My new one:

Sergeant of Anti-Tank Artillery Vyacheslav Ivanovich Lisin

Served 1942-1945

Order of the Patriotic war 2nd class

Order of Glory 3rd class

Medal for Valor

100th Anniversary of Lenin medal

Defence of Leningrad medal

Victory over Germany medal

20th Anniversary medal

50th Anniversary of the armed forces medal

115825015daee6_o.jpg

11582503140b3d_o.jpg

• 1 month later...

I got this the other month off eBay:

Interestingly, the bars' first award looks (to the naked eye) like a black/red/black ribbon. However, under the power of the scanner, the ribbon looks different: red/pink/red (?). I now think its an ORS.

The last ribbon I believe is the Polish WW2 Victory + Liberation medal.

What sort of person had this bar?

A relatively undistinguished WW2 vet who then went into the work force at a senior level and picked up lots of Jubilees? @ 1990?

Guest Rick Research

Yup-- Red Star middle stripe would be dove gray. Given the ribbons there (1988+) that's a 1985 Jubilee OPW 1st for a war invalid.

Final "ribbon" shows up often enough, I suspect it is meant to represent the 1970 Ministry of Defense's victory jubilee badge-- the soldier stomping broken swastika.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, here is some of the ribbon bars, what arrived today.

Those type of bars actually I have already but same time.... second bar is with the For The Rescue Of The Drowning medal and third is my only 100% civil Soviet bar!!!cheers.gif