News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Start The (Nazi) Party Without Me: Blue Monkeys, Clowns...

Guest Rick Research

Guest Rick Research

Remember the monkey in "Raiders of the Lost Ark?" :rolleyes:

BTW, the enamel work on this cannot be appreciated from the scan. It is as lustrous and :love: as on any official Order.

Guest Rick Research

No, normally one would never expect to identify a blue monkey over cryptic "BRG"...

And even the back side is mysterious, at this remove in time:

So... for donating to the boat savings account.... :catjava:

And on its blue and white neck cord: a Halsaffen class, no less!

Guest Rick Research

Luckily, it and many other Pretty Enamelled Things came by on an Epsonization visit today.

And here is ANOTHER blue monkey, explaining itself better:

Hipp-hipp-aap!!! (It is always a good thing to know the Secret Password :ninja: )

Our little blue friend is the team mascot emblem of the "Bonn Rowing Society 1919/1923" as shown here in this 1929 Halsaffen shield.

Guest Rick Research

And what do blue monkeys have to do with the Thousand Year Reich-to be? :rolleyes:

and a bit closer:

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_08_2008/post-160-1217695765.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_08_2008/post-160-1217695786.jpg

here we go:

"F Hoffst?tter Bonn"-- "Court Jeweller" to the infant Nazi Party. :rolleyes:

Guest Rick Research

Who said Nazis didn't know how to ... party? :unsure: I'm not saying it was Ernst and his buddies, but... :catjava:

... well, which came first? Dressing up and gaudy baubles, or ... :rolleyes:

Fasching... Faschismus ... COINCIDENCE? I don't THINK so!!! :shame:

Guest Rick Research

Karneval items have never been a major collecting specialty that I've ever heard of, but actually handling an assortment of these from the 1920s to 1935 (Year 10 of the Bonn Fools Guild), I am struck at how well crafted they are. the quality is as good as any official state decoration.

Makers, justifiably proud of their work, neatly marked their wares-- hoping for the contract for the next year's "street happening."

"V. Lilienwei? Bonn" made the two outer badges above. The 1935 jubilee is hollow stamped and unmarked.

Anybody else with Weimar era Karneval pieces?

Such delightfully designed... decadence. :cheers: