News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Republic of Korea (South Korea)

Hugh

Actually, by the end of the Sino-Japanese War in 1895, the Japanese ran Korea. Almost total dominantion (with some Russian influence) until 1905.

Thanks, I was thinking of 1911, which is the ROC date. Getting old.

• Replies 168
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

According to the Koreans, there was a total of 60 Orders of the Plum Blossom issued, not counting those issued to the Royal Family.

1902 ? 2

1904 ? 5

1905 ? 6

1906 ? 6

1907 ? 10

1908 ? 16

1909 ? 4

1910 ? 11

Order of Merit for National Foundation

Instituted: 27 April 1949, revised in 1967 and 1990.

Awarded: To those individuals who helped to establish the Republic of Korea - not sure why it is STILL awarded, though. Services to the Republic, I suppose!

Until the 1990 revision, it was awarded in 3 classes, thereafter 5. Not sure if anything happened to it in 1973 like most orders...

Here's the 2nd Class (Presidential Medal) Star, as awarded 1967-90:

The Order of National Foundation Merit was the very first Order created by the Republic of Korea. Its primary purpose was to honor those individuals, both living and dead, who fought against Japanese imperialism from 1895 until Aug. 15, 1945. Its secondary purpose was to honor those individuals who helped to maintain the survival of the Republic of Korea. This would include recipients such as Douglas MacArthur and Harry S Truman.

In 1967, there were major changes made to the Order. The name of the Order was shortened. The three Classes were renamed. The pendants were completely redesigned and the ribbons colors were changed to deep blue with dark blue stripes.

In 1971, a new Presidential Decree was issued which changed the ribbon colors to red with yellow stripes.

In 1990, this Order was changed five classes.

With the opening of normal diplomatic relations with Communist China and Russia, the Korea Patriots and Veterans Affairs Administration has been able to more closely study the anti-Japanese movement in those countries.

Here is a quick list of the number of recipients in recent years. This is only for the Order and does not include the National Foundation Merit Medal nor the National Foundation Presidential Citation.

1990 3,622

1991 1,112

1992 135

1993 169

1994 26

1995 1,073

1996 198

1997 49

1998 118

1999 112

2000 102

2001 84

2002 126

2003 142

2004 41

2005 225

Order of Merit for National Foundation

1st Type (1949-67)

Republic of Korea Medal (1st Class) Star:

I think this is the 2nd Class breast star.

A breast star was added to the 1st Class in 1958. Then in 1962, breast stars were added to the 2nd and 3rd Class.

I would need to see the reverse of this breast star to confirm, but the Korean legislation strongly indicates that this is a 2nd Class.

Republic of Korea Medal (1st Class) Badge (as used 1949-67):

I think this is a 2nd class. This style and ribbon color are correct for the 1958 revision. A breast star was added in 1962 and then completely redesigned in 1967.

Lovely....

But I am coming to the opinion that the South Koreans do not have orderly minds... this must be the most confusing, random and non-rational honours system I have attempted to document...

...and I'm rapidly running out of holiday to do it in. Back to work on Tuesday (even worse, they require us to turn up a week before we are actually needed so you end up hanging around doing nothing useful for the college and not able to get on with anything else either. Grrrr.)

Lovely....

But I am coming to the opinion that the South Koreans do not have orderly minds... this must be the most confusing, random and non-rational honours system I have attempted to document...

...and I'm rapidly running out of holiday to do it in. Back to work on Tuesday (even worse, they require us to turn up a week before we are actually needed so you end up hanging around doing nothing useful for the college and not able to get on with anything else either. Grrrr.)

Now you know why I have been working on a South Korean ODM book for 15 years. To tell you the truth, you have a fair representation of the South Korean Orders but there is a lot more. - Don

At least with websites, when new information comes to light it is easy to change... so I shall now get on to do some more... so the last 2 pictures I posted and your ones thereafter are the 1962 version....

At least with websites, when new information comes to light it is easy to change... so I shall now get on to do some more... so the last 2 pictures I posted and your ones thereafter are the 1962 version....

For the moment, to keep it simple, without the breast star, they are the 1958 series, with the breast star, they are the 1962 series.

Visually, the planchet designs are identical for both series as well as the ribbons, but there were dimensional changes.

Order of Cultural Merit

President Class (2nd Class)

1963 Series

In 1967, the Order of Cultural Merit ceased to exist. The names for the three classes were given to the Order of National Foundation.

In 1973, the Order of Cultural Merit was reinstated in 5 classes

I think I have slight glimmerings of how this order works... but I have just spent 2 days (with prospect of another tomorrow) putting our students' names and course choices into the timetable matrix which is possibly one of the few tasks worse that trying to figure out the complete disorganisation of South Korean orders and my brain has fried!!!! At the weekend I shall tackle it.

• 4 years later...

Hello everyone,

This is my first posting and was curious if anyone knew where I could find a Republic of Korea Order of Military Merit, Hwarang Medal? I am specifically looking for a lapel pin for a friend. To find one for Christmas would be the best tribute to their service. Please reply with any and all leads.

Gratefully yours,

Glen C Williams

USN 95-2000