News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Republic of Korea (South Korea)

Hugh

Inheon (5th Class):

At least these two look like they came from the same order!

I have also amended my site (and the legends on yesterday's OMSA uploads) to reflect Don's comments - and he's earned himself an acknowledgement on my site for the help... keep it coming, folks!

• Replies 168
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Unknown Medal (Korean War Association?)

Regards, IVB.

KVA - Korean Veterans Association

This medal was part of the Revisit Korea Campaign.

Foreign veterans were invited back to Korea to see how far Korea has advanced since the war.

What a lot of veterans never realized was that the buses, hotels, and some of the eating facilities were owned by the KVA.

Miniature medal group

(Left to Right)

Order of Military Merit, ChungMu Class w/Silver Star

Order of Military Merit, ChungMu Class w/Silver Star

Order of Military Merit, ChungMu Class w/o Star

Order of Military Merit, Hwarang Class w/Silver Star

Order of Military Merit, Hwarang Class w/Silver Star

Order of Military Merit, Hwarang Class w/o Star

United States Bronze Star

Defense Merit Medal

10th Anniversary of the founding of the Korean Military

Anti-Guerilla Warfare Service Medal

Korean War Service Medal - Type 2

Red Cross Donation Medal, Silver Class

United Nations Medal for Korea

Korean War Era, Next of Kin Medal with original box

I find this medal fascinating. At first glance you would think that it is the Japanese Next of Kin Medal.

Korea was occupied by Japan from 1910 to the end of WWII. During WWII more than 240,000 Koreans were conscripted into the Japanese army and approx. 22,182 of them were killed in action. Hundreds of thousands of Koreans died in Japanese forced labor camps/factories. Approx. 70,000 Koreans were killed by the A bomb at Hiroshima. With all of the hatred that the Koreans had for the Japanese, you would think that they would have a completely different design, but they don't.

The central design element is the Mugunghwa Flower.

This might be of interest to someone? I have documents to a dutchmen receiving a Order of Military Merit, Chung Mu Class, 1973 Series replacing his Order of Military Merit, ChungMu Class w/Silver Star pre 1973 for the korean war. Was this common?

This might be of interest to someone? I have documents to a dutchmen receiving a Order of Military Merit, Chung Mu Class, 1973 Series replacing his Order of Military Merit, ChungMu Class w/Silver Star pre 1973 for the korean war. Was this common?

I have heard of this happening several times before, but always because someone asked for a replacement for their missing/lost/damaged medal. The Korean government does not keep an inventory of the older styles.

The General Douglas MacArthur Memorial in Norfolk, Virginia asked for an original replacement. But the price was so steep, that they decided not to buy it. (Interesting side note: When Douglas MacArthur was given the Order of Military Merit, First Class, the President of Korea,Syngman Rhee had to apologize for only having the document. The Medal did not make it to the ceremony in time. All of the available records and pictures give a very strong indication that Douglas MacArthur never did receive his medal.)

This is the 5th Class badge of the 1st design, 1963-67.

Megan,

On this Order of Diplomatic Service, 5th Class, 1st type, is there any chance you can get me a picture of the reverse.

I am trying to determine if this is a 5th Class or a 6th Class.

The original Korean Legislation is really strange.

It says that the 5th class ribbon is green, red, white, red, green, but the ribbon bar is red, green, white, green, red.

It says that the 6th class ribbon is red, green, white, green, red, but the ribbon bar is green, red, white, red, green.

It's giving me a headache.

Appreciate any help that you can give me.

Thanks, Don

Hugh,

I have another name and answer for you.

National Merited Persons Medal

Awarded to

• A patriot awarded the Order of Merit for National Foundation, the National Foundation Merit Medal, or the President's Commendation for National Foundation, in appreciation of meritorious deeds performed in the Independence Movement against the Japanese colonial rule.
    • A veteran who was killed or who was disabled in a combat action, such as the Korean War, the Vietnam War, during military training, or in the performance of their duty.
    • A person who was awarded the Order of Military Merit, or National Security Merit, in appreciation of exceptional efforts to protect national security in war or in peacetime.
    • A veteran, who had been living in Japan, and who, volunteered and participated in, the Korean War between Jun. 25, 1950 and July 27, 1953.
    • A person who participated in and was killed or died or was disabled in the revolution that occurred around Apr. 19, 1960, or who was awarded the National Foundation Medal.
    • A person who was disabled in the line of duty while serving in a national or local government office.
    • A person who is determined to have been killed or wounded during the performance of distinguished service or someone who is determined to have been a special contributor to national and social development. Special determinations for this type of compensation are to be made at a cabinet council meeting.
    • A policeman who was killed, died, or was disabled in combat, or during military training, or in the performance of his duty, and is retired from the service. This special dispensation is made for policemen who performed the same duties as servicemen during wartime. The MPVA considers such policemen to be veterans.
    Instuted in 1986 and discontinued in 2002.