News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

EK2 & Ribbon Bars Purchased in Berlin 1980s

When I was stationed with the U.S. Army Berlin Brigade back in the mid-1980s I purchased a few WWI Iron Cross 2nd Class related items at a flea market in Berlin. This was when I thought about collecting WWI German as WWII was too expensive and loaded with fakes. I eventually got into East German insignia and medals because of availability and cost, so I never really got around to identifying all of the ribbons on the bars or value. Would be most appreciative if anyone here could give me back ground info on these items as well as current value if any. Kevin

[attachmentid=13787]

Edited by ehrentitle

Vielen Dank! Kevin

No problem. :beer:

I didn't know if you had noticed or not, but take a close look at the ribbon bar. The two different ribbons are actually one single peice of ribbon woven to represent two different decorations. Not exactly rare, but fairly uncommon.

--Chris

Yes I noticed that it was single piece of ribbon, but didn't think anything of it. I just assumed that this was a common ribbon bar since it and the lapel bows only cost me a couple of marks back in the 80s. Kevin

Edited by ehrentitle

Concerning the double ribbon woven as one, were these specifically made for the small ribbbon bars or could they also be used as buttonhole ribbons?

Chip

There were only a few combinations that would have been possible for buttonhole wear, but I seem to think that I have seen them used that way. A 1939 EK / Ostfront combination comes to mind.

These combo ribbons were also used for the "roll" type lapel bows as well.

--Chris

Hi Kevin, welcome to the club!!

Thanks, I always enjoy reading the posts in this forum although it is not my area of collecting. Beyond a Pickelhaube that I picked up in Iowa years ago, all I really have are a few photo postcards of WWI German soldiers that might be interesting, Including a couple clearly showing NCOs & soldiers wearing either the ribbon or the medal for the Iron Cross 2nd Class. If anyone is interested I'll scan them and post them here. Kevin

Chris,

The thing about my ribbon is that the two represented overlap, like they would if two ribbons were placed in a buttonhole. I suppose it could be used on a Spange, but it would not look quite right. Also, they are not the normal ribbon width for full size medal ribbon, but are rather smaller.

Chip

The overlapped/multiple ribbons can be found on ribbon bars and lapel bows. I believe they were made as a matter of convenience more than anything else. This practice continued in WW2 again, in most cases it was the "common" combinations of medals that can be found. Take a peek in the Central Powers Awards Forum for an example of Austrian style 3 in 1 ribbon...