News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Philippine ODM

Hugh

Many of the Philippine medals were manufactured by Jose J Tupaz Jr., but here is a different version of the Resistance 1941-1945 medal by C Zamora. If you look closely on the obverse of the medal it has CZ where the previous one shown in this thread has JT (at the bottom of the sword in between the laurel wreath).

I have not seen this version before and wondered if anyone else is familiar with it and could possibly provide any further information with regards to date etc?

Philippines-Resistance Medal 1941-1945-O-D127.JPG

Philippines-Resistance Medal 1941-1945-R1.JPG

Philippines-Resistance Medal 1941-1945-R2.JPG

• Replies 61
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here are some more Philippine medals and different versions(with reverse) of those already shown. I am afraid I cannot date or verify the authenticity of them but maybe someone else can?

1-Philippine-Gold Cross Medal

Philippines-Gold_Cross_Medal-O-P110.JPG

Philippines-Gold_Cross_Medal-R.JPG

2-Philippine-Independence Medal

Philippines-Independence_Medal-El_Oro(query)-O-D40.JPG

Philippines-Independence_Medal-El_Oro(query)-R.JPG

3-Jolo Campaign Medal

Philippines-Jolo_Campaign_Medal-O.JPG

Philippines-Jolo Campaign Medal-R.JPG

4-Military Commendation Medal

Philippines-Military_Commendation_Medal-O-D19.JPG

Philippines-Military_Commendation_Medal-R.JPG

5-Military Merit Medal

Philippines-Military_Merit_Medal(1)-O-D100.JPG

Philippines-Military_Merit_Medal(1)-R.JPG

5(a)-Philippine-Military Merit Medal

Philippines-Military_Merit_Medal(2)-O-D25.JPG

Philippines-Military_Merit_Medal(2)-R.JPG

6-Philippine-Wounded Personnel Medal

Philippines-Wounded_Personnel_Medal-O.JPG

Philippines-Wounded_Personnel_Medal-R.JPG

I am most dubious of No.2 The Philippine Independence medal as it has a Luzon ribbon attached to it and although it may not be too easily recognisable from the images the Rs in JR at the end of J J TUPAZ JR appear to be Ps. It is also the only version I have where both the obverse and reverse have makers markings. However it is still a very nice quality medal.

• 7 months later...
    • 8 months later...

Hello Gentlemen,

Here is a Medal of Valor from the era of the Constabulary of the Philippines ( before 1935 ), 2nd design.

Sadly not in my collection. It was ounce for auction on eBay, some 10 years ago, but the result was around 16.000 US $. But I downloaded the photo from eBay.

Of course it was an issued one.

This medal which is 45 Millimeters width, was manufactured in the Philippines by the firm Crispulo Zamora & Sons.

Only 16 such medals were awarded during the Philippines Constabulary.

Regards to all.

Emmanuel

Philiipines Medal of Valor.jpg

Edited by heusy68

Here is a Medal of Valor from the Republic of the Philippines.

Since WWII, 42 such a medals have been issued., incl 18 that were issued posthumous.

Mine is not an issued one. Long time ago, they were not that difficult to get, but in recent years, beside a large collection that was sold in the US, few have come to market. This medal exist in different quality of fabrication.

The former President Ferdinand Marcos was awarded one in 1958, retroactively for an action at Bataan in January 1942.

Regards to all.

Emmanuel

Philippines Medal of Honour of Congress Republic Type.jpg

Here is the very 1st Type of the Distinguished Conduct Star issued by the Republic of the Philippines, immediately in 1946

This type is seldom seen, and was very fast replaced by the 3rd Type.

The one here is also an issued one, to a Brig General.

Regards to all

Emmanuel

Philippines Distinguished Conduct Star transitional Commonwealth to Republic 1944-50 obverse.jpg

Edited by heusy68

Here is the 2nd Type of the Distinguished Conduct Star of the Republic of the Philippines.

A breast badge, issued from the 1950ies till likely the end of the 1960ies.

I have never come across an issued one, and mine is not issued too.

Best regards to all.

Emmanuel

Philippines Distinguished Conduct Star Republic Typpe 1 obverse.jpg

Here is the 3rd Type of the Distinguished Conduct Star of the Republic of the Philippines.

It's currently a neck badge. Those who were made in the 1970ies were of better workmanship than those made later.

The one below, is I believe a late 1980ies award.

Regards to all.

Emmanuel

Philippines Distinguished Conduct Star Republic Type 2.jpg

Philippines Distinguished Conduct Star Republic Type 2 close up.jpg

Edited by heusy68

Hello Gentlemen,

You do not see one everyday, so here it is, a Distinguished Service Star from the Constabulary Era of the Philippines.

It was instituted by General Order N° 24 of 17 October 1925

Mine is not issued, but it's still a very rare award.

Regards to all.

Emmanuel

Philippines Distinguished Service Star Constabulary 1925-35 obverse.jpg

Philippines Distinguished Service Star Constabulary 1925-35 reverse.jpg

Edited by heusy68

Here we have the Distinguished Service Star of the Commonwealth of the Philippines ( 1935-1946 ).

Some were issued, but the most that are found on the market, are not issued.

Anyways they are seldom seen.

Regards to all.

Emmanuel

Philippines Distinguished Service Star Commonwealth.jpg

Here is the 1st Type of Distinguished Service Star of the Republic of the Philippines.

Now this award is a neck badge. We know that the breast badge was shifted to be a neck badge at the end of the 1960ies, somewhen during the first years of President Ferdinand Marcos Presidency.

Regards to all.

Emmanuel

Philippines Distinguished Service Star Republic.jpg

Hello Gentlemen,

In the last years, Shots Dave had share with us, the 2 Gold Cross ( it's an award for Gallantry ) he owns. There is different version with sky blue center, with dark bleu center, with ribbon with darker, or lower shades of blue.

The obverse bear the profile of Manuel L.Quezon, 

The reverse shall bear the inscription : "For gallantry in Action".

This cross is to be awarded to personnel of the Philippine Armed Forces for Gallantry in action, not warranting the award of either the Medal of Valor, or the Distinguished Conduct Star.

But one day, about 6 years ago, what a shock, in a collection of a malay fellow, I saw one Gold Cross, with reverse : " Distinguished Navy Cross". 

From various email exchanges with some collectors, incl Jeff Floyd, nobody had never heard of this variation before. Neither Robert H.Reynolds had mentioned it in his OMSA Monograph about Medals of the Philippines. But here it is.

Regards to all.

Emmanuel

Philippines Gallantry Cross obverse.jpg

Philippines Gallantry cross reverse.jpg

Philippines Distinguished Navy Cross obverse.jpg

Philippines Distinguished Navy Cross reverse.jpg

Edited by heusy68

It has to be mentioned, that a Civil version of the Gold Cross exist. On reverse it bears the inscription : " PRO FILIPINAS" 

It was to be awarded to civilians for acts of conspicuous courage or gallantry, in the face of an armed enemy involving the risk of life.

The ribbon is to be of gold moire, with enamel background behind Manuel L.Quezon being of dark blue enamel.

I have been many times to the Philippines, and to a huge amount of convention in my life, and going through a huge number of auction or dealer catalogue, but I have never seen any one for sale.

The photo used to illustrate this post came from the book of Robert H.Reynolds "Philippine Medals" published by OMSA in 1998. Mr Reynolds shall be credited for these photo. Which are the onliest I know. According to what I knew, even Mr Reynolds only had the photo of the Gold Cross for Civil Bravery, he never had the medal itself.

Best regards to all.

Emmanuel

Philippines Civil Gallantry Pro Filipinas Cross.jpg

Wow, what an amazing collection you have. I have only managed to get one example of the Distinguished Service Star and Distinguished Conduct Star. I also have the Commander version of the Philippine Legion of Honor which has writing within the gilding, which I can't display because it won't let me upload the image :(

Philippines-Distinguished Service Star-O-D130.JPG

Philippines-Distinguished Conduct Star-O-D250.JPG

Philippines-Legion of Honor-Commander-O-P150.jpg

Edited by Shots Dave
    Edit due to problem with image uploads

Hello Gentlemen,

Hello Shots Dave,

Still there is many awards of the Philippines that are elusive and scarcely met. Like this : Presidential Award Medal of Merit. It's in metal gilt (not silver, but very well made).

I ounce have been able to download a photo of such an award, hung from a plain yellow ribbon. But both could be original, as ribbon colors may have changed over the years. Mine bear the mark of : "El Oro J.Tupaz Jr."

To my opinion, the one with yellow ribbon looks older.

Regards to all.

Emmanuel

Philippines Presidential Award Medal of Merit obverse.jpg

Philippines Presidential Award Medal of Merit obverse close up.jpg

Philippines Presidential Award Medal of Merit reverse.jpg

Philippines Presidential Medal of Merit 1.jpg

Edited by heusy68

In 2014, I had the opportunity to buy in Manila, the insignia of the Order of the National Artist of the Philippines.

It's a very very large badge hung around the neck. About 14 centimeters large.

On the reverse the inscription : " Order of the National Artist - Republic of the Philippines"

Manufactured by A Zamora & Son's.

This award was instituted in 1972, and since then had been awarded 73 times. It can be awarded for Music, Dance, Theater, Literature, Contemporary Arts, Architecture Design & Allied Arts, Film & Broadcasting Arts.

According to my research on the net, there is others type of insignia of Order of National Artist.

Regards to all.

Emmanuel

Philippines Order of the National Artist obverse.jpg

Philippines Order of the National Artist reverse.jpg

Edited by heusy68

Hello Gentlemen,

Long time ago, I have been able to buy this elusive award, that is obviously from the Philippines. But I have never been able to get any information on it.

On reverse it is marked : El Oro J.Tupaz Jr

If any one on this forum knows a bit more, he's most welcome to post a reply.

Regards to all.

Emmanuel

Philippines MSM obverse.jpg

Philippines MSM close up.jpg

Philippines MSM reverse.jpg

Edited by heusy68

Another elusive award of the Philippines, is the Golden Heart Presidential Award.

This is the 1st Type insignia, as it was instituted in 1954.

On obverse 2 hands going like to hold a heart, with the motto "Manum Tuam Apervit Inope"

On reverse the seal of the Philippines and the name of the award : "The Golden Heart Presidential Award"

Regards to all.

Emmanuel

Philippines Golden Heart Presidential Award Type 1 1954 obverse.jpg

Philippines Golden Heart Presidential Award Type 1 1954 reverse.jpg

Edited by heusy68

Hello Gentlemen,

This one came in a french auction in October 2019, so I had a good opportunity to purchase it.

Order of the Grieving Heart.

Made by El Oro Tupaz Jr.

Regards to all.

Emmanuel

Philippines Order of the Grieving Heart obverse.jpg

Philippines Order of the Grieving Heart obverse close up.jpg

Philippines Order of the Grieving Heart reverse.jpg