News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I love my friends

Luftwaffe Rules

This showed up at my door today, my friend Angela said she had a surprise for me, and sure enough she did, I didnt expect this. She and her parents were cleaning out her Grandparents house after her Grandmother died the other day and they said they found this in the attic. I explained to her what little I knew about it, being a Japanese Arisaka Type 99 Rifle with its bayonet, has a dust cover, missing the bipod, never had air craft sites, and has a full mum. Told her this denoted a field capture, she said her Grandfather fought with the Marines in WWII and most likely brought it home. Sadly he never talked about what he did. I told her thank you for bringing it by and she goes, "No its for you." I was like HUH? And she said her parents didnt want it and that they all thought of me when they found it. So I am now the owner of a Vet captured Arisaka Type 99 with bayo. Im very happy, it certainly beats the heck out of the one I bought in terms of quality and appearance.

If anyone knows anything about this particular piece please let me know, I also noticed it is named in two places but I cant read Japanese characters. The bayonet also has what looks like blood pitting on it, it looks like the Japanese soldier put the bayo away bloody. All the best, Jonathan

Nice item.

The blood pitting story is as old as collecting and not very likely.

Any moisture can cause the pitting and if you've ever smelled blood after a few days in the summer heat it would be evident that the soldier would have cleaned it off.

Still a very nice rifle and bayonet.

Cheers :cheers:

Brian

The joy in collectimg are the suprises. :cheers:

I am still blown away that it has the mum! 99.5% of these had the mums filed off. This is a true pre-Sep45 bring back! BTW, you know that these Japanese weapons are known to be unsafe to fire... right?

Guest Rick Research

Characters in post 8 are "9 9" and something. All I can read are numbers.

From the looks of this one, I agree with Paul-- it's too late to be safe.

I had a lovely little shootable carbine version made in 1938 when I was your age-- never blued (!?) but unground mum. Back in the day we used to tie these into a car tire and remote fire with a string :rolleyes: to see whether they'd blow up. So hard to get the Finnish ammunition (this was 30 years ago) that it really isn't worth the bother of TRYING, anyway.

Hang it on a wall.

With bayonet attached it will make an excellent Burglar Repellant. :catjava:

Many years ago, when the world was young, I was the Gunnery Officer on the Hugh Purvis (DD 709), a WW II USN destroyer. While inspecting below-decks storerooms one day, I took a closer look behind one of the expanded-wire cages, and discovered one of these things! It had been drilled to make it eligible for a war trophy, and left in place so long that the shipyard types had spray-painted over part pf it, so it showed the expanded-wire pattern on the butt. Naturally, I asserted eminent domain, and had it for many years. Sold it a few years ago when we moved into the Florida condo.

Hugh

Very nice Rifle I love the aging on the bayonet very well used:

Thank you for showing this piece of Military History Weaponery.

Lorenzo

Edited by IMHF

You really got some good friends there ! This is one of the rifles I miss very much in my collection . Got two type 30?s , one still got the mum.

Thanks for sharing and take care of your friends !

Kjell

Thanks gents! I wish I could have seen my face when she told me it was mine LOL.

I had thought that it would be unsafe to fire but thank you for confirming this for me. The quality of work probably wouldnt hold up too well 60+ years later. Thanks again guys! Shes hanging on my wall right now, it replaced my other Type99 that I bought. All the best, Jonathan

• 3 weeks later...